Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

If they stay at #3, I think it’s really important to bluff and show significant interest in Tua. Try to see if someone that loves him will trade up with Washington to take him and leave Young for the Lions.  

Just now, Hongbit said:

If they stay at #3, I think it’s really important to bluff and show significant interest in Tua. Try to see if someone that loves him will trade up with Washington to take him and leave Young for the Lions.  

I think the much more likely and more valuable scenario for the Lions is to trade Tua to someone in that scenario. If you get Young, you love it and you make it work, but a 4-3 DE isn't exactly what we'd be targeting and a QB trade just crushes the value of any single pick you can make there. 

The Redskins have taken DL in the 1st round the last 3 drafts including pass rushers Allen and Sweat.   They have a huge need at OT.   They should be open for business at pick 2.  

Just now, Nastradamus said:

I think the much more likely and more valuable scenario for the Lions is to trade Tua to someone in that scenario. If you get Young, you love it and you make it work, but a 4-3 DE isn't exactly what we'd be targeting and a QB trade just crushes the value of any single pick you can make there. 

There’s definitely merit to this line of thought.  I think with the ultimatum, Quinn will elect to plug the biggest hole on the team and take Young if available.  He’s now not only trying to build for the future but also save his job.  

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

The Redskins have taken DL in the 1st round the last 3 drafts including pass rushers Allen and Sweat.   They have a huge need at OT.   They should be open for business at pick 2.  

Yah, they're in the same spot as us basically. If you can get the monster trade down you take it, but otherwise Young transcends need and you make him work. They would likely simply offload Kerrigan for value. Thomas would be an amazing get for them but I don't think he's quite to the level where you can pass Young

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

Yah, they're in the same spot as us basically. If you can get the monster trade down you take it, but otherwise Young transcends need and you make him work. They would likely simply offload Kerrigan for value. Thomas would be an amazing get for them but I don't think he's quite to the level where you can pass Young

16 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I have no faith that Quinn will do the right thing in the first 2 rounds of the draft.     I can't believe they brought him back after he fired a 9-7 coach claiming it wasn't good enough and has gone 9-21-1 since then.     Finding Gems in the 3rd or 4th round is not good enough.

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

holy crap!  he's back from the dead!  :)

so are you for keeping quinn and patricia or firing them?

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2019 at 10:19 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

I have no faith that Quinn will do the right thing in the first 2 rounds of the draft.     I can't believe they brought him back after he fired a 9-7 coach claiming it wasn't good enough and has gone 9-21-1 since then.     Finding Gems in the 3rd or 4th round is not good enough.

lol

On 12/23/2019 at 11:52 AM, Buddha said:

holy crap!  he's back from the dead!  :)

so are you for keeping quinn and patricia or firing them?

For keeping

On 12/23/2019 at 10:01 AM, Hongbit said:

The Redskins love "splash" picks. Young is as "splash" as it gets although the Skins aren't exactly known for making sensible picks so who knows what that nut Snyder is thinking.

2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

For keeping

wrong!  :)

ah, that felt good.  just like old times' sake.

If we do end up with the third pick, I am not looking forward to 4 months of local media and message board fans clamoring for the Lions to trade down.  Not that I am against this...it just seems to be the thing Lions fans are obsessed with every year.  

I'm generally opposed to trading down this high. Cleveland did that twice and passed on Wentz and Watson. However, you have to market the pick and see if a team like Miami will jump up 1 or 2 spots for a QB like Chicago did. 

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm generally opposed to trading down this high. Cleveland did that twice and passed on Wentz and Watson. However, you have to market the pick and see if a team like Miami will jump up 1 or 2 spots for a QB like Chicago did. 

if you need a qb i wouldnt do it.

is chase young really the next reggie white or lawrence taylor?  if not, trade down.

26 minutes ago, Buddha said:

if you need a qb i wouldnt do it.

is chase young really the next reggie white or lawrence taylor?  if not, trade down.

I don't follow college football so I'm just going by the hype here. I'm concerned that in arguably the three biggest games of the year, he has zero sacks. I wouldn't trade down to the middle of the 1st but maybe the 5th or 6th pick. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I don't follow college football so I'm just going by the hype here. I'm concerned that in arguably the three biggest games of the year, he has zero sacks. I wouldn't trade down to the middle of the 1st but maybe the 5th or 6th pick. 

i still think there's a good chance young is there at 3.  if they want to take him.

i also dont think they'll take him.  i think its more likely they take a tackle or a corner.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i still think there's a good chance young is there at 3.  if they want to take him.

i also dont think they'll take him.  i think its more likely they take a tackle or a corner.

I'm not opposed to taking a LT and moving Decker to RT and cutting Wagner. The strength of this team is going to be the offense. I'm also not convinced they won't draft Young just because they didn't draft Montez Sweat of whoever last year. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm not opposed to taking a LT and moving Decker to RT and cutting Wagner. The strength of this team is going to be the offense. I'm also not convinced they won't draft Young just because they didn't draft Montez Sweat of whoever last year. 

they honestly have a bigger need at corner long term.

8 minutes ago, Buddha said:

they honestly have a bigger need at corner long term.

If the LT is a better prospect than the CB, I would go with the LT. There's also free agency so they can plug holes that way. They don't have many important players becoming free agents. Only ones I would try to re-sign is Amendola and Glasgow. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

If the LT is a better prospect than the CB, I would go with the LT. There's also free agency so they can plug holes that way. They don't have many important players becoming free agents. Only ones I would try to re-sign is Amendola and Glasgow. 

would you extend slay?

at this point i think they will.  they need to win next year or theyre all fired, so i assume they will kick the salary cap can down the road.

11 minutes ago, Buddha said:

would you extend slay?

at this point i think they will.  they need to win next year or theyre all fired, so i assume they will kick the salary cap can down the road.

I would not extend Slay. He's still under contract so I expect him to play next year but know it's a possibility he holds out. I would work on an extension for Golladay. CB is a need but I wouldn't pass up a LT if the LT is a better prospect than the CB. 

*Edit* I should add, it depends on how much with Slay. I have a feeling he wants to be one of the top paid corners in the league and I feel he is no longer worth it.