Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

The Saints won the Super Bowl the first year Stafford entered the league. Since then, they have won two playoff games, had four 7-9 seasons, and have not reached the NFC championship game. No discussion has taken place about replacing Drew Brees. Speaking of Drew Brees, remember when San Diego gave up on him after his rookie contract? 

Here is an early, ideal mock-up of the Lions off-season . . .

Offensive Coordinator hire: Shane Waldron (LA Rams Passing Game Coordinator)

The Rams have a top 5 passing game in the NFL. How much of that is directly tied to Shane Waldron himself and how much of that is Sean McVay, who knows. I'm no expert at scouting potential Offensive Coordinators, but I can't help but think someone very soon is going to hire Waldron for an OC job, if not as the head man.

Players re-signed: LeGarrette Blount/RB, Zach Zenner/RB, Nick Bellore/FB, TJ Jomes/WR, Levine Toilolo/TE, Kerry Hyder/DE, Romeo Okawara/DE, Kelvin Sheppard/LB, Marcus Cooper/CB-Special Teams, Charles Washington/S-Special Teams, Don Muhlbach/LS

Players cut/not re-signed: Glover Quin/S (cut), T.J. Lang/OG (cut), Matt Cassel/QB (cut)

Bruce Ellington/WR, Luke Wilson/TE, Andrew Donnal/OT, Leo Koloamatangi/OT, Ziggy Ansah/DE, Steve Longa/LB, DeShawn Shead/CB

Free Agent Additions (cap space estimated @ $41 million unless cap goes up):

Top tier targets (any one of the following): Frank Clark/DE-Seattle, Trey Flowers/DE-New England, Brandon Graham/DE-Philly, Dee Ford/3-4 Edge-LB-Kansas City, Preston Smith/3-4 Edge-LB-Washington, Pierre Desir/CB-Indianapolis

Frank Clark would be the guy I would want most here

Second tier targets (any one of the following): Adam Humphries/WR-Tampa Bay, Mark Glowinski/G-Indianapolis, Henry Anderson/DE-NYJ, Anthony Barr/OLB-Minnesota, Shaq Barrett/3-4 Edge-LB-Denver, Jordan Hicks/OLB-Philly, Jason McCourty/CB-New England, Darryl Roberts/CB-NYJ, Pierre Desir/CB-Indianapolis

Pierre Desir would be the idea signing here, but he may end up being the top corner on the market and command a big pay day as a result. I'd want to look into Jason McCourty and see how big of a dropoff his game has had over the past season.

NFL Draft (no trades): 1st: Josh Allen/3-4 Edge-LB-Kentucky, 2nd: Albert Okwuegbunam/TE/Playmaker-Missouri, 3rd: Te'Von Coney/OLB-Notre Dame, 4th: Parris Campbell/WR-Ohio State, 5th: Charles Wright/Edge-Vanderbilt, 6th: Lester Cotton/G-Alabama, 6th: Clayton Thorson/QB-Northwestern, 7th: Iman Marshall/CB-USC, 7th: Travis Fulgham/WR-Old Dominion

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Saints won the Super Bowl the first year Stafford entered the league. Since then, they have won two playoff games, had four 7-9 seasons, and have not reached the NFC championship game. No discussion has taken place about replacing Drew Brees. Speaking of Drew Brees, remember when San Diego gave up on him after his rookie contract? 

No one talks about replacing Drew Brees because the talent difference is markedly different than him and Stafford. Also, Drew Brees has those two playoff wins and a Super Bowl that you mentioned, Stafford does not. Also, Drew Brees will be going to the Hall of Fame, while Stafford will be staring in another Metro Detroit Ford Dealers commercial. Another also, San Diego gave up on Brees far too early, we've had 10 years worth of Stafford and it is safe to say after 10 seasons we know what the guy is and what he isn't. Elite like Brees is one thing he is not. Foolish and far too different to compare San Diego getting rid of Brees on a rookie deal to the Lions moving on from a QB whose been in the league 10 years and whose contract may well handcuff this franchise if he doesn't up his game from the **** poor performance of this season.

The first shoe has dropped!

The Packers will hire Titans OC and former SVSU QB Matt LaFleur as their next Head Coach. 

Tampa is reportedly getting close of former Cardinals HC Bruce Arians but no deal as of yet.  

17 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The Rams have a top 5 passing game in the NFL. How much of that is directly tied to Shane Waldron himself and how much of that is Sean McVay, who knows. I'm no expert at scouting potential Offensive Coordinators, but I can't help but think someone very soon is going to hire Waldron for an OC job, if not as the head man.

Players re-signed: LeGarrette Blount/RB, Zach Zenner/RB, Nick Bellore/FB, TJ Jomes/WR, Levine Toilolo/TE, Kerry Hyder/DE, Romeo Okawara/DE, Kelvin Sheppard/LB, Marcus Cooper/CB-Special Teams, Charles Washington/S-Special Teams, Don Muhlbach/LS

Players cut/not re-signed: Glover Quin/S (cut), T.J. Lang/OG (cut), Matt Cassel/QB (cut)

Bruce Ellington/WR, Luke Wilson/TE, Andrew Donnal/OT, Leo Koloamatangi/OT, Ziggy Ansah/DE, Steve Longa/LB, DeShawn Shead/CB

Top tier targets (any one of the following): Frank Clark/DE-Seattle, Trey Flowers/DE-New England, Brandon Graham/DE-Philly, Dee Ford/3-4 Edge-LB-Kansas City, Preston Smith/3-4 Edge-LB-Washington, Pierre Desir/CB-Indianapolis

Second tier targets (any one of the following): Adam Humphries/WR-Tampa Bay, Mark Glowinski/G-Indianapolis, Henry Anderson/DE-NYJ, Anthony Barr/OLB-Minnesota, Shaq Barrett/3-4 Edge-LB-Denver, Jordan Hicks/OLB-Philly, Jason McCourty/CB-New England, Darryl Roberts/CB-NYJ, Pierre Desir/CB-Indianapolis

Pierre Desir would be the idea signing here, but he may end up being the top corner on the market and command a big pay day as a result. I'd want to look into Jason McCourty and see how big of a dropoff his game has had over the past season.

NFL Draft (no trades): 1st: Josh Allen/3-4 Edge-LB-Kentucky, 2nd: Albert Okwuegbunam/TE/Playmaker-Missouri, 3rd: Te'Von Coney/OLB-Notre Dame, 4th: Parris Campbell/WR-Ohio State, 5th: Charles Wright/Edge-Vanderbilt, 6th: Lester Cotton/G-Alabama, 6th: Clayton Thorson/QB-Northwestern, 7th: Iman Marshall/CB-USC, 7th: Travis Fulgham/WR-Old Dominion

Can’t say that I’m on board with all of it but big props on the effort to put this together.    I’d love to get Allen, Coney, and Campbell.   

there is no way the lions should bring back blount.  no way at all.

15 minutes ago, Buddha said:

there is no way the lions should bring back blount.  no way at all.

Thats the first thing that jumped out at me.  This may be the first thing we’ve ever agreed on.  

Alex Marvez: source tells me that Steve Sarkisian(fired by Atlanta) and Nathaniel Hackett(fired in Jax) are in the mix for the Detroit OC job.

What about bringing back Jim Caldwell to be OC?

I can’t imagine what he’s feeling right now seeing Kingsbury, Gase, and even Kitchens get HC jobs over him. 

LOL Steve Sarkisian!!!!! Did anyone in Allen Park watch the Falcons offense take about 10 steps back after Sarkisian took over for Kyle Shanahan? Sarkisian was terrible in Atlanta with Matt Ryan, Tevin Coleman, Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley and he supposed to come here with Stafford and do better?

On Monday, January 07, 2019 at 1:40 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think they should get the slowest cornerback at the combine, if not the slowest one in the entire draft.  You can never have enough guys like that.

6 hours ago, Hongbit said:

What about bringing back Jim Caldwell to be OC?

I can’t imagine what he’s feeling right now seeing Kingsbury, Gase, and even Kitchens get HC jobs over him. 

According to Football Outsiders in total offense efficiency we ranked 17th, 11th, 17th, and 11th in the 4 years Caldwell was here with no running game to speak of. In terms of total points scored we ranked 19th, 18th, 20th, 7th and ranked 22nd, 18th, 20th, 7th in points per game.

I give only an uneducated opinion, with no insight, but I'd rather go with a coach from one of the leagues hottest offenses and offensive coaches: Rams, Chiefs, Saints, Chargers, Eagles, etc. Someone who can develop a better running game and still balance the attack by stretching the field with creative route combos and speed, while using Stafford's strengths as a gunslinger. And yeah, I know, Joe Lombardi was from one of those "great NFL offenses" and failed here.

Since I don't think we'll be very good next year for a number of reasons, I'd take a gamble on an up-and-coming position coach as a coordinator. I'm hoping that they'll look at guys like LA Rams Passing Game Coordinator Shane Waldron or QB Coach Zac Taylor. I wouldn't be against looking into the college ranks at someone like Ohio State OC Kevin Wilson either. Wilson bombed as a Head Coach at Indiana but always had electric, high scoring offenses. He's done the same with the offenses at Ohio State.

14 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

According to Football Outsiders in total offense efficiency we ranked 17th, 11th, 17th, and 11th in the 4 years Caldwell was here with no running game to speak of. In terms of total points scored we ranked 19th, 18th, 20th, 7th and ranked 22nd, 18th, 20th, 7th in points per game.

I give only an uneducated opinion, with no insight, but I'd rather go with a coach from one of the leagues hottest offenses and offensive coaches: Rams, Chiefs, Saints, Chargers, Eagles, etc. Someone who can develop a better running game and still balance the attack by stretching the field with creative route combos and speed, while using Stafford's strengths as a gunslinger. And yeah, I know, Joe Lombardi was from one of those "great NFL offenses" and failed here.

Since I don't think we'll be very good next year for a number of reasons, I'd take a gamble on an up-and-coming position coach as a coordinator. I'm hoping that they'll look at guys like LA Rams Passing Game Coordinator Shane Waldron or QB Coach Zac Taylor. I wouldn't be against looking into the college ranks at someone like Ohio State OC Kevin Wilson either. Wilson bombed as a Head Coach at Indiana but always had electric, high scoring offenses. He's done the same with the offenses at Ohio State.

When the names of Hackett and Sark came up it seemed obvious to me that anyone from the top offenses were off the Lions list.    Waldron may be a possibility due to his NE ties but I don’t think he’s ever called plays even at the college levels.  

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

an 11th ranked offense with one of the worst running games in the league?  man, your qb must be pretty good...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Buddha said:

an 11th ranked offense with one of the worst running games in the league?  man, your qb must be pretty good...

And yet one of those years we had an offensive ranking of 11th we were 19th in points scored and 22nd in points per game. Dude can't punch it in.

How can one team be 19th in points scored and 22nd in points per game?

37 minutes ago, sagnam said:

Maybe one includes scores by the defense and the other doesn't.   In ranking an offense, it wouldn't make sense to give it credit for points that were scored while it wasn't on the field.

38 minutes ago, sagnam said:

1500897651.jpg

If Sarkisian is name OC, I suggest a riot.

I don't like Hackett, I think there are better fits available. But I can at least live with him. Sarkisian make me want to take a bath with a toaster.

Wasn't the Atlanta offense pretty good last year?  It looks like Ryan had a pretty darn good year at least, and they seem top-10ish in categories I looked up quickly.

35 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Wasn't the Atlanta offense pretty good last year?  It looks like Ryan had a pretty darn good year at least, and they seem top-10ish in categories I looked up quickly.

I don’t know how it stacked up, but it was a big drop off from 2016, right?

35 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

I guess Atlanta was better than I initially though under Sarkisian. Even though they had a drop off going from Kyle Shanahan to Sarkisian, they were still the 10th overall offense according to Football Outsiders. They were also 10th in points scored and per game. I still want Shane Waldron though from the Rams.

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t know how it stacked up, but it was a big drop off from 2016, right?

I know Sark's first year was pretty dismal, especially going from Shannhan with Ryan putting up that ridiculous (MVP?) year right before.  But Ryan's numbers last year are pretty similar to that last Shannahan season, and the offense seemed to be pretty solid overall last year (red zone included, I saw Falcons fans lamenting that but I think it was hold over from Sark year 1).  I know the Falcons were without Freeman for most of last year, and their defense was pretty terrible, so that puts a strain on the offense so it was good to see they were still efficient.

I am guessing if they didn't fire all their coordinators he may have stayed on staff since he seemed to figure it out a bit last year.  I'm guessing most people are focusing on his year 1 in Atlanta, which too be fair was terrible. 

When I think of the guy I think of all the USC stuff and his firing...so if he does come to Detroit I hope his demons are behind him.  Well even if he doesn't come to Detroit I hope so too haha.

4 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Maybe one includes scores by the defense and the other doesn't.   In ranking an offense, it wouldn't make sense to give it credit for points that were scored while it wasn't on the field.

One is a total and the other is an average though.  Seems like there would be a total and per game for both offense and team.