Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

How do we even know what offense they will have if they haven't even played a game?

It's the Lions. Their offense will be offensive to the fans.☺

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

8 of the top 10 teams in rushing attempts made the playoffs last year. New England was 3rd in the NFL in rushing attempts and won the Super Bowl but this run first offense hasn't worked since the 60's. 

Actually it hasn't worked in Detroit since the '50's and yet we still support this team. I don't care what Seattle did in 2013, or whenever. We don't have the same talent as any of the playoff teams from last season. 

Good teams get a lead in a game and successfully run the ball to eat the clock. That's why you see that misleading stat and think it has meaning. I bet most teams with a 4th quarter lead run the ball more than pass.

20 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Actually it hasn't worked in Detroit since the '50's and yet we still support this team. I don't care what Seattle did in 2013, or whenever. We don't have the same talent as any of the playoff teams from last season. 

Good teams get a lead in a game and successfully run the ball to eat the clock. That's why you see that misleading stat and think it has meaning. I bet most teams with a 4th quarter lead run the ball more than pass.

Pretty much your retort to anything will be it's the Lions. It's not a misleading stat. The Patriots are not so dominant that they just run the ball the entire 4th quarter and rise all the way to number 3 overall in rush attempts. I'm actually having a hard time finding many Patriot wins where they ran more in the 2nd half vs the 1st half.

51 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions have been near the bottom of the league in rush attempts per game, so using your logic, the Lions should rush the ball more. 

The Lions pass more trying to catch up because they're losing. Teams in the NFL get a lead and run the ball to keep the clock running. The Lions lose too often to establish any running game. They can't afford to run the ball when they need multiple scores to try to get back into a game. 

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Lions pass more trying to catch up because they're losing. Teams in the NFL get a lead and run the ball to keep the clock running. The Lions lose too often to establish any running game. They can't afford to run the ball when they need multiple scores to try to get back into a game. 

How many extra rush attempts per game do you think the Patriots get because they are leading? 

Here's something interesting. The New England Patriots had more rush attempts in the 1st quarter than the Lions in 2018. Yes, the Patriots did have more rush attempts than the Lions in the 4th quarter due to chewing up clock. However, they rush just as much and in fact a little bit more than the Lions in the beginning of the game. Even if you take the difference between the Patriots 4th quarter rush attempts and the Lions 4th quarter rush attempts, they still have more rush attempts than the Lions and are still top 10.  Good teams when because they are balanced on offense. 

So I decided to break it down by wins and losses. New England averaged 33 rush attempts per game in wins. The Lions averaged 31. The Lions averaged 21 attempts in losses, New England averaged 22. So far in all game situations, the New England Patriots attempted to run the ball more than the Lions. 

40 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Here's something interesting. The New England Patriots had more rush attempts in the 1st quarter than the Lions in 2018. Yes, the Patriots did have more rush attempts than the Lions in the 4th quarter due to chewing up clock. However, they rush just as much and in fact a little bit more than the Lions in the beginning of the game. Even if you take the difference between the Patriots 4th quarter rush attempts and the Lions 4th quarter rush attempts, they still have more rush attempts than the Lions and are still top 10.  Good teams when because they are balanced on offense. 

OK, that makes sense. Good teams win because they are balanced. Are you suggesting the Lions have been as good as New England running the ball? No, the reason the Pats have a lead in the 4th quarter is because they have been balanced in the past. The Lions haven't been balanced in the past. Actually, the Lions have been one of the weakest running teams ever since Barry walked away.  Many sports "experts" think the Lions are one of the worst run franchises in all of sports. I won't argue with them.

20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

So I decided to break it down by wins and losses. New England averaged 33 rush attempts per game in wins. The Lions averaged 31. The Lions averaged 21 attempts in losses, New England averaged 22. So far in all game situations, the New England Patriots attempted to run the ball more than the Lions. 

That sounds like way too much work researching the Lions against the Patriots. Just look at the bottom line, championships. Zero for Detroit in the Super Bowl era. I've spent years defending the Lions against fans who say we should tank just for the draft picks. Now I have to compare one of the best run franchises against one of the worst? There is no defending the Lions history. 

I hope we go 16-0 and rush for 3000 yards. And blow every team away for the next 10 years. But it still won't erase the last 62 years of Detroit Lions football. Sorry.

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

OK, that makes sense. Good teams win because they are balanced. Are you suggesting the Lions have been as good as New England running the ball? No, the reason the Pats have a lead in the 4th quarter is because they have been balanced in the past. The Lions haven't been balanced in the past. Actually, the Lions have been one of the weakest running teams ever since Barry walked away.  Many sports "experts" think the Lions are one of the worst run franchises in all of sports. I won't argue with them.

Kerryon averaged over 5 YPC last year. CJ Anderson has averaged 4.5 YPC for his career. They have the talent to run the ball and they should but I'm guessing your argument is but Lions. 

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

That sounds like way too much work researching the Lions against the Patriots. Just look at the bottom line, championships. Zero for Detroit in the Super Bowl era. I've spent years defending the Lions against fans who say we should tank just for the draft picks. Now I have to compare one of the best run franchises against one of the worst? There is no defending the Lions history. 

I hope we go 16-0 and rush for 3000 yards. And blow every team away for the next 10 years. But it still won't erase the last 62 years of Detroit Lions football. Sorry.

WTF does this have to do with running the ball? Shouldn't the Lions try to emulate the Patriots? Whose defending the Lions history? I'm not talking about the Lions history. Everything with you is yeah but they're the Lions. This was about strategy. 

20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

WTF does this have to do with running the ball? Shouldn't the Lions try to emulate the Patriots? Whose defending the Lions history? I'm not talking about the Lions history. Everything with you is yeah but they're the Lions. This was about strategy. 

Yeah, this is one of the better rosters the Lions have had in a while, IMO. It's too bad we're in the same division as the Bears and Vikings. And we have a coach with no track record as a head coach. The first game is pretty important, the next 3 before the bye week could be a problem.

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, this is one of the better rosters the Lions have had in a while, IMO. It's too bad we're in the same division as the Bears and Vikings. And we have a coach with no track record as a head coach. The first game is pretty important, the next 3 before the bye week could be a problem.

LeFleur has no track record. Nagy had no track record last year. All the teams in the division have a tougher schedule than the Lions. Even if they start 1-3, it gets easier and they can make it up. 

22 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

LeFleur has no track record. Nagy had no track record last year. All the teams in the division have a tougher schedule than the Lions. Even if they start 1-3, it gets easier and they can make it up. 

Yes, sorry but I'm a cynical Lions fan. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 50 times, shame on me.

I have been disappointed way too many times. Now, I just expect the worst and I'm delighted when we actually win. And I am about 4 coaches past not blaming the current team and coaches for our history. I look  at our schedule and count 3 or 4 wins. Anything more than that is gravy. If I expected 9 wins and they win 4, I'm extremely disappointed.

9 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I find it pretty difficult to predict my reaction to a game until I see the game.

i am already prepared to overreact to every play in the first game, much less the actual outcome.

"come on stafford!  you cannot miss that pass!  jesus, same old lions!"

ive been practicing all summer.

25 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i am already prepared to overreact to every play in the first game, much less the actual outcome.

Slacker.   Most Lions fans will be saying "same old Lions" before the pre-game festivities are over.

46 minutes ago, Buddha said:

What will the Lions first offensive play be? I say a huge gain run play.

47 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Either Green Bay looks bad or Chicago looks really good. 

Chicago’s defense, once again, is menacing. 

Chicago’s offense, once again, is cutesy, but Trubisky has missed some throws. 

GB’s offense looked laughable until AARod started throwing moon balls. I’m hoping they were audibles, and he and LaFleur are in a slap fight on the sideline by halftime. 

good thing the bears traded up to get trubisky instead of taking mahomes or watson.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

good thing the bears traded up to get trubisky instead of taking mahomes or watson.

Trubisky is legitimately bad.