Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

Well, at least we're not the Oakland Raiders. Antonio Brown is reportedly quitting football before the start of the season.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

i think martha will fire quinn if the lions perform the way the national media expects them to perform.  and honestly, if the lions are a 5 or 6 win team again, then he should be fired.  this is the year the we find out if his vision for the team will work.  its been 4 years?  and they've gone backwards each year?  thats plenty of time in today's nfl.  this is the year or its time to move on.

and i think that harbaugh will be very very high on the list of replacements.

Yes! Quinn has had 4 drafts, enough time! But, Patricia would likely go with Quinn.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Do you all feel that the Lions don't want to put a decent backup on the roster to protect Stafford's feelings or something like that.  Sure seems like it.  

There just aren’t a lot of good QBs, that’s all. 

What’s worse, in my view, is that even with all of the capital that Quinn has placed in the OL, it still looked like a disaster. 

Maybe Quinn and Patricia are outsmarting everybody by purposely laying down in preseason games, protecting their best players, and not revealing their schemes. 

But it sure as **** looked like the OL just couldn’t block. 

Lions are working out Josh Jackson and Landry Jones.

I mean, I know it's hard to tell that David Fales might suck.  You might have to watch some tape or...I don't know...ask someone.

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They need to call someone to be the backup QB.    I think Sam Bradford would be fine in that role, I think he'd be a good backup, actually.   Fales (perfect name) is not good enough and neither is Savage, but Savage has had, what, 2 or 3 notable concussions,  should he even be playing at this point?   We know they won't give Kap a call.     Brock Osweiler,  Josh McCown, Josh Johnson and Brandon Weeden  are all still out there along with Bradford.  None of them are great long term but far better than anything this team has had since Shawn Hill.  

Do you all feel that the Lions don't want to put a decent backup on the roster to protect Stafford's feelings or something like that.  Sure seems like it.  

One pre-season game where the starters don't play and the backup QB gets injured and the conspiracy theories start. It's possible a lot of those QBs want an opportunity to start and don't sign in Detroit because Stafford doesn't miss a game and is the obvious starter. Looking at other teams in the division, it's not like they have better backup QB situations. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

One pre-season game where the starters don't play and the backup QB gets injured and the conspiracy theories start. It's possible a lot of those QBs want an opportunity to start and don't sign in Detroit because Stafford doesn't miss a game and is the obvious starter. Looking at other teams in the division, it's not like they have better backup QB situations. 

I think they'd like an NFL paycheck...............and that injured QB has a history of concussions - I think he's done.      And I know a lot of the backup options are great, but some of these guys do have some NFL starting experience.  Sam Bradford would be the perfect backup for them, but I have a feeling he'll be going to the Eagles.        The Lions have been playing with fire on this issue.    

The Lions just signed Josh Johnson.

He turned down an offer from the Ravens to back up Lamar Jackson a few weeks ago.  

18 hours ago, Buddha said:

as for their performance, i have concerns about the lions linebackers, non-darius slay cornerbacks, and the offensive line.

that perfomance indicated nothing about the linebackers (although i thought killebrew wasnt bad), not much about the other cornerbacks because most of them didnt play (other than the penn state rookie who was bad but that should be expected at this point), but the oline looked bad.  

the oline looking bad is not a good sign.

Hard to say anything about the OL or the LBs.  Starting OL played what, 5 snaps? Starting LBs didn’t play.  

15 hours ago, Jason_R said:

There just aren’t a lot of good QBs, that’s all. 

What’s worse, in my view, is that even with all of the capital that Quinn has placed in the OL, it still looked like a disaster. 

Maybe Quinn and Patricia are outsmarting everybody by purposely laying down in preseason games, protecting their best players, and not revealing their schemes. 

But it sure as **** looked like the OL just couldn’t block. 

Backup OLs usually suck. 

4 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Hard to say anything about the OL or the LBs.  Starting OL played what, 5 snaps? Starting LBs didn’t play.  

I said it said nothing about the LBs.

As for the oline, they haven't found a replacement at LG.  It was a sore spot last year and looks like it will continue to be.  And their depth was bad. Crosby can't play tackle.  All the backups were poor (against New England backups).  

I doubt the starting oline is healthy all year.  God help them if they aren't.

7 hours ago, Hongbit said:

The Lions just signed Josh Johnson.

He turned down an offer from the Ravens to back up Lamar Jackson a few weeks ago.  

Okay, here we go.  A guy who has started some games recently.   No, he's not good, but he's probably better than David Fales.    I would have preferred Bradford or even Osweiler, but this is a step.............

Duke Johnson got traded.   I really wanted him for the Lions.  He'd be a great backup for KJ.     He's a very underrated running back. 

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:58 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Duke Johnson got traded.   I really wanted him for the Lions.  He'd be a great backup for KJ.     He's a very underrated running back. 

Plus that's just a great name.

On 8/2/2019 at 1:58 PM, kdog said:

The dumb rocket scientist better have a counter if caveman ball doesn't work:

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/destroying-a-team-to-test-an-outdated-hypothesis-the-matt-patricia-story/

That is a hack job article... it's quite obvious that the author is NOT a scientist and doesn't understand the first thing about how this is not even close to a scientific study.

First and foremost: You can't take just TWO seasons, compare them and expect to see meaningful conclusions.  There are way too many variables like injuries, trades, etc.  I would feel slightly better if they merely compared the first half of '18 to '17 before the primary rusher and the top two receiving threats were gone.

Second: The idea that the Lions should just has continued on with what they were doing and called it good enough is silly.  Were there any fans who actually followed this team who thought: "Yeah, passing all the time works great.  We don't need a running game what so ever!"  I doubt there was a single person here who didn't lament the lack of a legit running game from the Lions.

This author just fails miserably because he assumes that the Lions would have progressed beyond "slightly above average" if they just keep going without addressing the run (very unlikely).  He further fails when he compares just two seasons and calls the results proof.  And that failure is massively compounded by injuries and trades in the last half of the season.

• Thanks 1

Warren Sharp is a well known football gambler or at least he is the guy that supplies data to big gamblers.

Ranking the NFL's most likely worst-to-first teams for 2019

Detroit Lions
Chances of winning division: 25.5% (2nd in division)
Chances of making playoffs: 39.8% (14th in NFL)

Our most surprising preseason pick plays in what we think is the NFL's most competitive division. All four teams in the NFC North win the division in at least 22% of o

So, why the Lions? The first thing to remember is that the Lions were pretty good two years ago. They went 9-7 and finished 12th in the Football Outsiders DVOA ratings. When a team declines as much as the Lions did last season, it usually rebounds a bit the next year. Our system also likes the talent the Lions have added this offseason. On offense, they added two strong tight ends, top-10 pick T.J. Hockenson and former Steeler Jesse James. James was seventh among tight ends in receiving value last season by our metrics. Along the defensive line, they added Trey Flowers from the Patriots and Green Bay cap casualty Mike Daniels.

There are more reasons to be optimistic about the defense hidden among the numbers. The Lions are in the second year of a new scheme, and all else being equal, teams take a little step back in the first year of a new scheme and a step forward once they have more experience in it. The Lions were better in DVOA against the run (13th) than the pass (31st) last season, which tends to indicate a defense that will improve the following year. And more importantly, the Lions can expect better luck when it comes to turnovers. Detroit got a takeaway on only 7.3% of drives last year, 31st in the NFL. That's an important metric that tends to regress toward the mean heavily from year to year.

The Lions' playoff odds are helped by the fact that Football Outsiders foresees Chicago falling back to the pack. The Bears have a ton of talent on defense, but defensive performance simply isn't as consistent as offensive performance from year to year. Over the past dozen years, the top defense in our rankings has fallen to ninth place, on average, the following year. In a situation opposite to Detroit's, Chicago lapped the league last year with takeaways on 19.1% of drives. That number is likely to be significantly lower this season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/27386796/ranking-nfl-most-likely-worst-first-teams-2019  ($$$$)

The Cardinals are down both starting corners and it appears that both their o-line and d-line are terrible. Perfect spot for the Lions to lay a steamer.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:17 AM, kdog said:

The Cardinals are down both starting corners and it appears that both their o-line and d-line are terrible. Perfect spot for the Lions to lay a steamer.

Cmon man, there’s no way the Lions lose a season opener against one of last years worst teams with a rookie qb making his NFL debut.   That would never happen.