Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Connor Cook had first and second round grades by many analysts. His attitude caused him to drop and the guy never really got the chance to showcase anything other than an awful performance in a playoff game with the Raiders. Was I wrong about Cook. Sure! Just like all the prognosticators on here who have been wrong about guys like Pettiwgrew, Ebron, Stafford, etc.

With Matt Stafford and his now $29 million dollar contract eating up 15% of our cap space, the Lions are barely a five to six win football team. I mean, I guess it gets worse, but not much.

lol. Stafford, Pettigrew for a time and Ebron now have all carved out good NFL careers for themselves while Cook is a bum. Seems like you were a lot more wrong than the Motownsports prognosticators (a little pat on my back from saying that letting Ebron go was a mistake). Just admit you were wrong and move on, there's no amount of lipstick on that pig or goal post moving that will make your Connor scouting report look good.

Regardless, the Lions, for good or bad, are stuck with Stafford for at least one more season, if not two owing to the cap penalties associated with moving him.

He is going to start during that timeframe.  I would suggest accepting that fact in general and moving on otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

5-11?

Where do you get 5 wins

I only see 2. Cards and Packers

If we go 5-11 next year then Quinn and Patricia should be strapped to a rocket and put into space.

If you believe this is a talented team that is just a better OC and a couple of defensive players away from being decent than I suppose you can find 7/8/9/10 wins on that schedule. I do not believe that and see 3/4/5 wins.

all depends on stafford.

if he plays well they can win 9 or 10 or 11 games.  if he doesnt, its 6-10 rinse, repeat.

25 minutes ago, Buddha said:

all depends on stafford.

if he plays well they can win 9 or 10 or 11 games.  if he doesnt, its 6-10 rinse, repeat.

I don't agree. They need better players on offense to help Stafford out.

47 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

If they get better players and Stafford plays poorly, the Lions will not win games.

51 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Kerryon Johnson, Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones, and Golden Tate weren't good enough?

14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Kerryon Johnson, Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones, and Golden Tate weren't good enough?

Not enough speed.

• Like 1

Maybe the Lions should take a completely different approach and try the Ravens or Seahawks model.

Invest everything in building a great defense and hope your offense can be average.   

They have a defensive coach and a few younger players they can build around on that side of the ball.  If they focus heavy this draft and FA on defense they could potentially get quite good on D very quickly.    

They have enough on offense right now with everyone healthy to be average.  They also won’t have to pin all their future hopes on whether Stafford can take them to the next level.  There already are some pieces in the running game that could help a transition into a more conservative ball control offense.   

I think it really set the team back spending all those high picks on offensive linemen and to me those picks may be the biggest reason why they are in the position they are.   Spending 4 out of 6 first round picks on offensive linemen in a time where the rest of the NFL is being built on offensive and defensive playmakers just set them so far behind the curve.imo   

Building the trenches is great and all but spending 4 first round picks on them seems too excessive for me, particularly when we had so many other holes too.  

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think it really set the team back spending all those high picks on offensive linemen and to me those picks may be the biggest reason why they are in the position they are.   Spending 4 out of 6 first round picks on offensive linemen in a time where the rest of the NFL is being built on offensive and defensive playmakers just set them so far behind the curve.imo   

Building the trenches is great and all but spending 4 first round picks on them seems too excessive for me, particularly when we had so many other holes too.  

could be, but I would focus more on the number misses in the rounds after those OT were picked. If you are rebuilding in the NFL you really can't waste a single pick in the 1st 3/4 rounds and Lions have wasted a ton.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

That was necessary, but they now have to get a game breaker or two. And a te to get first downs.

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Not enough speed.

I'll agree that on offense they need a guy with top tier speed who can separate from defenders like Tyreek Hill, Bradin Cooks, Marqiuse Goodwin.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'll agree that on offense they need a guy with top tier speed who can separate from defenders like Tyreek Hill, Bradin Cooks, Marqiuse Goodwin.

It’s important to note that group is made up of a first round pick, a third round pick, and a fifth round pick.  These guys can be had all over the draft if your evaluators are good.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:51 PM, cruzer1 said:

They need better players on offense to help Stafford out.

You can pretty much take out Stafford's name and insert any ex-Lions QB and that's pretty much been the excuse Lions QB's have been given for years.

3 minutes ago, Kamakzie said:

You can pretty much take out Stafford's name and insert any ex-Lions QB and that's pretty much been the excuse Lions QB's have been given for years.

That's stupid.  Stafford has talent, unlike previous QB's.

1 minute ago, cruzer1 said:

That's stupid.  Stafford has talent, unlike previous QB's.

I agree he does have talent but so far it hasn't produced anything other than first-round exits. Even when we had Calvin Johnson in his prime.

1 minute ago, Kamakzie said:

I agree he does have talent but so far it hasn't produced anything other than first-round exits. Even when we had Calvin Johnson in his prime.

I just saw a replay of the Cowboy game.  The Lions outplayed them.  Stafford was brilliant in that game.  That game was bull****.

18 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I just saw a replay of the Cowboy game.  The Lions outplayed them.  Stafford was brilliant in that game.  That game was bull****.

Was that the flag pickup game? Blatant pass interference on the Cowboys and they picked up the flag. Total BS.

Here's a fun fact. The Lions have only had a top 10 scoring defense once in Stafford's career. That year they finished with 11 wins and got completely robbed of a playoff win. One other time they had a top 15 scoring defense (13th) and made the playoffs.