Jump to content

Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Connor Cook had first and second round grades by many analysts. His attitude caused him to drop and the guy never really got the chance to showcase anything other than an awful performance in a playoff game with the Raiders. Was I wrong about Cook. Sure! Just like all the prognosticators on here who have been wrong about guys like Pettiwgrew, Ebron, Stafford, etc.

With Matt Stafford and his now $29 million dollar contract eating up 15% of our cap space, the Lions are barely a five to six win football team. I mean, I guess it gets worse, but not much.

lol. Stafford, Pettigrew for a time and Ebron now have all carved out good NFL careers for themselves while Cook is a bum. Seems like you were a lot more wrong than the Motownsports prognosticators (a little pat on my back from saying that letting Ebron go was a mistake). Just admit you were wrong and move on, there's no amount of lipstick on that pig or goal post moving that will make your Connor scouting report look good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless, the Lions, for good or bad, are stuck with Stafford for at least one more season, if not two owing to the cap penalties associated with moving him.

He is going to start during that timeframe.  I would suggest accepting that fact in general and moving on otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

5-11?

Where do you get 5 wins

I only see 2. Cards and Packers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we go 5-11 next year then Quinn and Patricia should be strapped to a rocket and put into space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you believe this is a talented team that is just a better OC and a couple of defensive players away from being decent than I suppose you can find 7/8/9/10 wins on that schedule. I do not believe that and see 3/4/5 wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all depends on stafford.

if he plays well they can win 9 or 10 or 11 games.  if he doesnt, its 6-10 rinse, repeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Buddha said:

all depends on stafford.

if he plays well they can win 9 or 10 or 11 games.  if he doesnt, its 6-10 rinse, repeat.

I don't agree. They need better players on offense to help Stafford out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I don't agree. They need better players on offense to help Stafford out.

If they get better players and Stafford plays poorly, the Lions will not win games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I don't agree. They need better players on offense to help Stafford out.

Kerryon Johnson, Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones, and Golden Tate weren't good enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Kerryon Johnson, Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones, and Golden Tate weren't good enough?

Not enough speed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the Lions should take a completely different approach and try the Ravens or Seahawks model.

 Invest everything in building a great defense and hope your offense can be average.   

They have a defensive coach and a few younger players they can build around on that side of the ball.  If they focus heavy this draft and FA on defense they could potentially get quite good on D very quickly.    

They have enough on offense right now with everyone healthy to be average.  They also won’t have to pin all their future hopes on whether Stafford can take them to the next level.  There already are some pieces in the running game that could help a transition into a more conservative ball control offense.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it really set the team back spending all those high picks on offensive linemen and to me those picks may be the biggest reason why they are in the position they are.   Spending 4 out of 6 first round picks on offensive linemen in a time where the rest of the NFL is being built on offensive and defensive playmakers just set them so far behind the curve.imo   

Building the trenches is great and all but spending 4 first round picks on them seems too excessive for me, particularly when we had so many other holes too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think it really set the team back spending all those high picks on offensive linemen and to me those picks may be the biggest reason why they are in the position they are.   Spending 4 out of 6 first round picks on offensive linemen in a time where the rest of the NFL is being built on offensive and defensive playmakers just set them so far behind the curve.imo   

Building the trenches is great and all but spending 4 first round picks on them seems too excessive for me, particularly when we had so many other holes too.  

could be, but I would focus more on the number misses in the rounds after those OT were picked. If you are rebuilding in the NFL you really can't waste a single pick in the 1st 3/4 rounds and Lions have wasted a ton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think it really set the team back spending all those high picks on offensive linemen and to me those picks may be the biggest reason why they are in the position they are.   Spending 4 out of 6 first round picks on offensive linemen in a time where the rest of the NFL is being built on offensive and defensive playmakers just set them so far behind the curve.imo   

Building the trenches is great and all but spending 4 first round picks on them seems too excessive for me, particularly when we had so many other holes too.  

That was necessary, but they now have to get a game breaker or two. And a te to get first downs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Not enough speed.

I'll agree that on offense they need a guy with top tier speed who can separate from defenders like Tyreek Hill, Bradin Cooks, Marqiuse Goodwin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'll agree that on offense they need a guy with top tier speed who can separate from defenders like Tyreek Hill, Bradin Cooks, Marqiuse Goodwin.

It’s important to note that group is made up of a first round pick, a third round pick, and a fifth round pick.  These guys can be had all over the draft if your evaluators are good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 10:51 PM, cruzer1 said:

They need better players on offense to help Stafford out.

You can pretty much take out Stafford's name and insert any ex-Lions QB and that's pretty much been the excuse Lions QB's have been given for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kamakzie said:

You can pretty much take out Stafford's name and insert any ex-Lions QB and that's pretty much been the excuse Lions QB's have been given for years.

That's stupid.  Stafford has talent, unlike previous QB's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cruzer1 said:

That's stupid.  Stafford has talent, unlike previous QB's.

I agree he does have talent but so far it hasn't produced anything other than first-round exits. Even when we had Calvin Johnson in his prime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kamakzie said:

I agree he does have talent but so far it hasn't produced anything other than first-round exits. Even when we had Calvin Johnson in his prime.

I just saw a replay of the Cowboy game.  The Lions outplayed them.  Stafford was brilliant in that game.  That game was bull****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I just saw a replay of the Cowboy game.  The Lions outplayed them.  Stafford was brilliant in that game.  That game was bull****.

Was that the flag pickup game? Blatant pass interference on the Cowboys and they picked up the flag. Total BS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a fun fact. The Lions have only had a top 10 scoring defense once in Stafford's career. That year they finished with 11 wins and got completely robbed of a playoff win. One other time they had a top 15 scoring defense (13th) and made the playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...