Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

Not much to be learned from here on out.  Football is back, but only kind of.  Mostly 3rd stringers by the 2nd quarter.  

That rookie from Penn State is really struggling.  Looks like he has never played defense before.  

I’ve never heard of the guy playing QB for the lions right now.  

20-0 patriots.  Not much to say. Lions 3rd string DL can’t get any pressure and lions backup secondary is some kind of bad.  

19 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

20-0 patriots.  Not much to say. Lions 3rd string DL can’t get any pressure and lions backup secondary is some kind of bad.  

Why you draft oliver and not Hock!

TP in the house and on the couch!

football is back baby.

How does Fales even get preseason action?   I could do what he is doing.  And I’d make it look good baby. 

God this team looks terrible. Thankfully it's only meaningless preseason. Hopefully our depth guys are better than this tonight.

8 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

How does Fales even get preseason action?   I could do what he is doing.  And I’d make it look good baby. 

Things T&P look good doing:

1. Fales' job

2. Complaining about officiating

3. Complaining about offensive play calling

4. Wearing Red Wing gear

Bad depth at OL and secondary. The Patriots QBs looked like they were going through a very easy walkthrough. They were barely touched. Any kind of injury issues would be bad.

42 minutes ago, kdog said:

Bad depth at OL and secondary. The Patriots QBs looked like they were going through a very easy walkthrough. They were barely touched. Any kind of injury issues would be bad.

Pretty much. The backups (although it was mostly 3rd stringers) getting torched by other backups and Kearse getting injured are the two things to take away from this game.

One other thing is Crosby. What the heck does anybody see in this guy? He looks slow and out of shape. Some people were actually thinking this guy could be a possible starter? Yikes

Neither Fales or Savage are good enough to be even a 3rd string NFL QB.    The need to make a quick change in thinking on the backup qb situation.   

7 hours ago, NYLion said:

One other thing is Crosby. What the heck does anybody see in this guy? He looks slow and out of shape. Some people were actually thinking this guy could be a possible starter? Yikes

Yeah, he does not inspire confidence at this point. We better hope the OL does not have injuries. 

stranded at the minneapolis airport.  on the tv at the bar was the lions-pats game and an nba channel rerun of anthony davis scoring 59 on the pistons.

my cup runneth over with detroit suck.

ive always thought that preseason games dont mean anything UNLESS youre getting completely embarrassed.  then it might show that you really lack talent.  but the point was to stay healthy.

that being said, the lions second string were completely embarrassed.  lets see how they do when the starters are on the field.  this is hopefully just a blip.

it its not, then quinn gets fired.

59 minutes ago, Buddha said:

ive always thought that preseason games dont mean anything UNLESS youre getting completely embarrassed.  then it might show that you really lack talent.  but the point was to stay healthy.

that being said, the lions second string were completely embarrassed.  lets see how they do when the starters are on the field.  this is hopefully just a blip.

it its not, then quinn gets fired.

You would think so, but I'm not convinced Martha has the stomach for another GM firing. Were it up to me , I'd go Harbaugh as HC. He completely turned the 49er program around.

50 minutes ago, jb84 said:

You would think so, but I'm not convinced Martha has the stomach for another GM firing. Were it up to me , I'd go Harbaugh as HC. He completely turned the 49er program around.

i think martha will fire quinn if the lions perform the way the national media expects them to perform.  and honestly, if the lions are a 5 or 6 win team again, then he should be fired.  this is the year the we find out if his vision for the team will work.  its been 4 years?  and they've gone backwards each year?  thats plenty of time in today's nfl.  this is the year or its time to move on.

and i think that harbaugh will be very very high on the list of replacements.

as for their performance, i have concerns about the lions linebackers, non-darius slay cornerbacks, and the offensive line.

that perfomance indicated nothing about the linebackers (although i thought killebrew wasnt bad), not much about the other cornerbacks because most of them didnt play (other than the penn state rookie who was bad but that should be expected at this point), but the oline looked bad.  

the oline looking bad is not a good sign.

They need to call someone to be the backup QB.    I think Sam Bradford would be fine in that role, I think he'd be a good backup, actually.   Fales (perfect name) is not good enough and neither is Savage, but Savage has had, what, 2 or 3 notable concussions,  should he even be playing at this point?   We know they won't give Kap a call.     Brock Osweiler,  Josh McCown, Josh Johnson and Brandon Weeden  are all still out there along with Bradford.  None of them are great long term but far better than anything this team has had since Shawn Hill.  

Do you all feel that the Lions don't want to put a decent backup on the roster to protect Stafford's feelings or something like that.  Sure seems like it.  

54 minutes ago, Buddha said:

as for their performance, i have concerns about the lions linebackers, non-darius slay cornerbacks, and the offensive line.

that perfomance indicated nothing about the linebackers (although i thought killebrew wasnt bad), not much about the other cornerbacks because most of them didnt play (other than the penn state rookie who was bad but that should be expected at this point), but the oline looked bad.  

the oline looking bad is not a good sign.

As far as Killebrew goes, I think you'd have to see him take some snaps with some of the regulars.   He's out there with some bad players and that makes him more exposed.   I don't think he'll make the team, but I would at least look at some of these guys alongside the regulars.  

As far as the O-Line having a new offense..............Do the blocking schemes radically change or are most teams basically running the same kind of blocking.