Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

Many, including myself, have been pontificating that bringing in Darrell Bevell would mean even more ball control and running of the football. Matt Stafford is a gunslinger and if they do decide to open up the offense more, will they let Stafford return to the pre-Caldwell Stafford? That is, a guy who was given more offensive freedom to chuck the ball around and risk more interceptions but hope for more TD production in the process. Insightful analysis for sure from the CBS article.

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Many, including myself, have been pontificating that bringing in Darrell Bevell would mean even more ball control and running of the football. Matt Stafford is a gunslinger and if they do decide to open up the offense more, will they let Stafford return to the pre-Caldwell Stafford? That is, a guy who was given more offensive freedom to chuck the ball around and risk more interceptions but hope for more TD production in the process. Insightful analysis for sure from the CBS article.

Stafford has the 15th best interception percentage in NFL history.

Stafford has cut down his interceptions in recent years due to (in my belief) the coaching staff putting more restraint on him. In contrast to Scott Linehan who allowed him to be more free willing with the football. His attempts per season have also dropped during that same time frame, post-Linehan.

On 8/6/2019 at 1:54 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I’d like nothing more than to see a return of “Linehan Stafford.” Turn him loose! Why not!? Matthew Stafford is at his best when he has free reign to to play his style of back yard football. Yes he’s a gunslinger who takes chances, but without risk there is no reward. The current iteration of Staff’s game since Caldwell took over has been careful to a fault. “Cooter/Lombardi Staff” doesn’t spread it out and take shots downfield(maybe once a game, if that). Sure it’d be nice to have a bit of both, balance if you will. But if I had my choice I’d take...risk takin, gunslingin, freewheelin, sandlot football playin, 4th quarter comeback game winnin, pre Jim Caldwell-Matthew Stafford!

Drafting TJ and hiring Bevell assures me that it will NOT be a gunslinger year. Prepare for runs, short passes and total boredom.

13 hours ago, jb84 said:

Drafting TJ and hiring Bevell assures me that it will NOT be a gunslinger year. Prepare for runs, short passes and total boredom.

This is how the Patriots play for the most part, probably not the worst strategy. Stafford is no Brady of course but clearly the all or nothing passing approach hasn't worked in the past.

A balanced offense is a must in order to compete for anything meaningful especially if you don't have an elite QB so if playing boring football leads to a more balanced offense and wins, I'm all for it.

13 hours ago, jb84 said:

If boredom wins, then I’m all for it.  

Weird year, I think many fans have some optimism going into the season. But every national pundit peg the lions as one of the worst in the league.   On paper, they are definitely better than last year.  

8 hours ago, NYLion said:

This is how the Patriots play for the most part, probably not the worst strategy. Stafford is no Brady of course but clearly the all or nothing passing approach hasn't worked in the past.

A balanced offense is a must in order to compete for anything meaningful especially if you don't have an elite QB so if playing boring football leads to a more balanced offense and wins, I'm all for it.

Oh, I think the Pats pass quite a bit really. Lions will run more.

7 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

If boredom wins, then I’m all for it.  

Weird year, I think many fans have some optimism going into the season. But every national pundit peg the lions as one of the worst in the league.   On paper, they are definitely better than last year.  

Sure! I'll take boring wins any time.

countdown to the first run play on 3rd and 6 and TP going ballistic!

and the  blaming the refs for not seeing the obvious defensive holding calls ON EVERY PLAY.

i cant wait for football to start.  :)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, JoeyBlueSkies said:

I’d like nothing more than to see a return of “Linehan Stafford.” Turn him loose! Why not!? Matthew Stafford is at his best when he has free reign to to play his style of back yard football. Yes he’s a gunslinger who takes chances, but without risk there is no reward. The current iteration of Staff’s game since Caldwell took over has been careful to a fault. “Cooter/Lombardi Staff” doesn’t spread it out and take shots downfield(maybe once a game, if that). Sure it’d be nice to have a bit of both, balance if you will. But if I had my choice I’d take...risk takin, gunslingin, freewheelin, sandlot football playin, 4th quarter comeback game winnin, pre Jim Caldwell-Matthew Stafford!

Stafford set the NFL record for 4th quarter comebacks in a season under Caldwell and JBC. 

Whoa a shocker seeing Fred Mcleod in the booth.  Haven't heard from him in years.  

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

countdown to the first run play on 3rd and 6 and TP going ballistic!

and the  blaming the refs for not seeing the obvious defensive holding calls ON EVERY PLAY.

i cant wait for football to start.  :)

It’s here baby.  I’ve made it to the couch in time.   

Run on first and second down to set up 3rd and long.  Savage with a big throw on 3rd down to Powell.  Powell can play.  

Can’t be getting holding penalties.  Starting OL is important to the success of the team.  Had way too many bad penalties last season.  

Kearse is hurt.  Cart coming out.  Air cast going on.  That didn’t take long.  

Kenny Wiggins is awful btw.  Gives up the sack and then takes a holding penalty.  

Savage hits Andy Jones in the chest.  Drop.  Savages throwing darts though.   Lions punt.   

Cut Wiggins. 

1 minute ago, T&P_Fan said:

The Kearse injury was bad.   Leg snapped.

It's called lions Football! What can go wrong will go wrong!