Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

Love it. The D-Line went from one of the worst in the NFL to start last season to one of the best now. This is why Quinn left that cap space available, in the event that a good player gets cut. 

This is the first offseason in a long time that I've felt positive about every GM move. Quinn has really been on the mark this offseason. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

So here is the pessimist in me. What if the Trey Flowers injury is more serious than the team is letting on? I don't think anyone had Daniels to Detroit on their radar.

Apparently he was running sprints in practice today so it seems more precautionary than anything else. The Daniels signing might mean something is up with A'Shawn and these "personal reasons" which caused him to miss camp or it could just be Quinn adding a good player and nothing else.

I hate to say but the Lions might actually be good this year.

Do teams have to be under the cap by the start of the season? I don't understand why Green Bay would cut him now? It's not like they will be using that cap space unless of course they were going to be over at the start of the season. 

a one year deal for daniels is nice.  my only worry is that he is past his prime, coming off an injury, and they have other areas of the team that could use an upgrade if someone gets hurt or gets shaken loose in a late cut (like oline).

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

theo riddick cut.

I figured it would come at the end of camp, if they couldn’t find a trade. But who wants to trade for an expensive back that can only catch passes?

Can’t wait to see the new look offense. 

40 minutes ago, Buddha said:

a one year deal for daniels is nice.  my only worry is that he is past his prime, coming off an injury, and they have other areas of the team that could use an upgrade if someone gets hurt or gets shaken loose in a late cut (like oline).

I wouldn't say someone who is barely 30 is past their prime for a DL. They had $23 million in cap space before signing Daniels, and presumably more after cutting Riddick, so they can still sign other players. 

27 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wouldn't say someone who is barely 30 is past their prime for a DL. They had $23 million in cap space before signing Daniels, and presumably more after cutting Riddick, so they can still sign other players. 

packers people think he's past his prime, but being in a deep dt rotation should help him if he is.  if he's healthy, should be a good signing.

i didnt think they had that much in cap space.  and if they did, why cut riddick?

6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

packers people think he's past his prime, but being in a deep dt rotation should help him if he is.  if he's healthy, should be a good signing.

i didnt think they had that much in cap space.  and if they did, why cut riddick?

According to this, the Lions had $23.3 million in cap space prior to signing Daniels and should have roughly $14 million remaining not including the $3.5 million they save from cutting Riddick. My guess is, they needed to open a roster spot and planned on cutting Riddick anyways and did him a favor by cutting him early so he can latch onto another team.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/26/how-signing-mike-daniels-impacts-the-lions-salary-cap/

Theo Riddick is a good player, but last year he needed to really show something, and he didn't.    And he made too much money for the role he was likely to play.    And I know you people want to slam Zach Zenner, but I like the guy and I think he makes more of an impact in games than Riddick has recently.   

Obviously the Lions are looking to field a very good defense and an offense that chews up time.   Bringing in Daniels just adds the rotation and protects them from dropping too much when one of those lineman get injured. 

They'll pick up a guard before camp is through, too.    Maybe that's what they are saving the money for.   They'll likely release one of their Top 5 receivers (Kearse?) or one of their LBs.   

If Tate is telling the truth that is kind of a raw deal but then again in the contract it does say something like "Players are responsible for whatever they put in their bodies and are held accountable even if they are unaware."  

Players hate patrica though.  Daniels must be lying. 

1 hour ago, T&P_Fan said:

Players hate patrica though.  Daniels must be lying. 

I haven't really looked into it, but I wonder how many players who were complaining about Patricia are gone

I don't doubt certain players like certain coaching styles / personalities and dislike others.

Would I forego say 10% to work with someone I wanted to work with?

I probably would in my actual career, so I shouldn't be surprised some athletes would as well.

On 7/30/2019 at 7:48 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Note to message board: Please do not tell my employer about my previous post.

I tried to rescind the email, but it was too late.  Hopefully they ignore it.  

1 hour ago, kdog said:

The dumb rocket scientist better have a counter if caveman ball doesn't work:

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/destroying-a-team-to-test-an-outdated-hypothesis-the-matt-patricia-story/

It's great for an outsider just to look at the numbers and come to that analysis - I get it.  What it doesn't take into consideration is that for the last half of the season, the lions were missing 2 of their top receivers, their top running back for a number of games, and the QB had a broken rib.  Would the results still be the same?  We will find out this year.  Not saying at all that Patricia's way is the right way.  Just saying the analysis misses a lot of key contributing factors while making a definitive conclusion that 

With all due respect, Patricia has no clue how teams win games in the modern passing era.  

DETROIT -- The Detroit Lions were committed to the run in 2018. Far too committed to the run. And shockingly predictable on first down. All with a $30 million quarterback. That offense, led by deposed coordinator Jim Bob Cooter under rookie head coach Matt Patricia, had people in the analytics community bewildered, confused and at wits end with how formulaic the approach was, and privately, the Lions are well aware.

Their self-scouting revealed similarly toxic conclusions, I'm told, and within the confines of the team facility, vows are being made to reverse course in 2019. Now, don't get that confused with not continuing to emphasize the run (if anything, they prove to still be leaning on that avenue more than the prevailing trends would dictate), but I left this training camp having taken the pulse of enough people in charge to anticipate a more robust passing attack on first down, more effort being made to get pass catchers established early in games and running more of the offense through quarterback Matthew Stafford with Darrell Bevell now his coordinator.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/inside-lions-camp-switching-up-the-offense-watch-out-for-this-d-line-a-better-media-vibe-and-more/