Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

On 7/17/2019 at 5:41 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Rumor out of Dallas is that Zeke Elliott is going to skip training camp. Colin Cowherd today suggest the Cowboys should trade him. Would you trade Kerryon for Zeke straight up if Dallas was willing to make the trade?

No. Kerryon is going to be a star, without all the red flags.  This guy is criminally underrated by the Lions fanbase, maybe because of past failures? 

On 7/18/2019 at 12:09 AM, Buddha said:

i dont think ive seen one national publication be optimistic about the lions.  it feels weird that im more optimistic than most other folks.

this year is huge for this regime.  if they go 6-10 again I think stafford gets cut and quinn gets fired.

Honestly, I'm more optimistic than I was last offseason. We saw a lot of growth from the youngsters last season, Flowers is a legit 3 down impact DE, Snacks will be here for the full season and the offense looks more balanced than it did last season.

As usual and is the case with most teams, the Lions will fall in that 6-10 through 10-6 cluster but I honestly feel they are closer to a 9-10 win team than a 6-7 win team. A lot will depend on Stafford adjusting to Bevell's system but I'm liking the way the team is shaping up.

15 minutes ago, NYLion said:

No. Kerryon is going to be a star, without all the red flags.  This guy is criminally underrated by the Lions fanbase, maybe because of past failures? 

KJ worries me. He runs too upright. I hope he stays healthy.

9 minutes ago, jb84 said:

KJ worries me. He runs too upright. I hope he stays healthy.

That's a valid concern but everything about his game, and personality, screams star.

16 minutes ago, NYLion said:

That's a valid concern but everything about his game, and personality, screams star.

Definitely a talent!

31 minutes ago, NYLion said:

He also has an injury history which is concerning for a running back. If he stays healthy, I think he will be a star.

ESPN has the Lions as the 6th most improved team, unfortunately they have the Packers as the 5th though. 

LIONS: 4–12

Another major wildcard with a change at offensive coordinator. Still, this season will be a referendum on second-year head coach Matt Patricia and whether he can wrangle a team that looked stunningly flat-footed at times a year ago. Detroit will be strong through the middle, with one of the better tight end sets in the league and a solid offensive line, they may not have enough firepower to navigate what promises to be a brutal division.

If this happens, I imagine Martha will go scorched earth on Quinn and Patricia

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/07/17/nfl-schedule-2019-team-record-predictions

I feel confident enough to say the Lions will not go 4-12 absent a slew of devastating injuries.

And I don't think I am that optimistic about the team.  7-9 seems right to me.

the national guys just look at the lions roster and see if they recognize any of the players.  of the ones they recognize, how many had good years last year?  since they really only know stafford and he was bad last year, the lions are going to be bad this year.  they do it every year.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

they do it every year.

Play poorly?

if you took the pats stickers off their helmets and just looked at the players, you might find they are not really the most talented bunch.  they just have a great hc and a great qb and a couple differencemakers.  thats it.

the lions will come down to whether patricia can implement that here and how well stafford plays.

as usual, the national media guys dont really know that much about individual teams.  they have to follow everybody and cant really know every team.

that said, if ever there was a franchise that didnt deserve the benefit of the doubt, its the lions.

Why are the Browns, an equally garbage franchise, getting more respect and the benefit of the doubt this year over the Lions? The obvious answer seems to be Kareem Hunt and OBJ moves. But with a second year QB, a rookie HC, and all kinds of personalities in that locker rooom, they aren't a complete shoe in. It seems people are putting the two franchises in opposite camps. Many are penciling the Browns in as playoff and possibly Super Bowl contenders. Meanwhile, an equally decrepit franchise in the Lions is still getting the Rodney Dangerfield treatment with no respect. 

That said, I expect the Browns to be a solid playoff team this season and do not foresee the same for the Lions.

44 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Why are the Browns, an equally garbage franchise, getting more respect and the benefit of the doubt this year over the Lions? The obvious answer seems to be Kareem Hunt and OBJ moves. But with a second year QB, a rookie HC, and all kinds of personalities in that locker rooom, they aren't a complete shoe in. It seems people are putting the two franchises in opposite camps. Many are penciling the Browns in as playoff and possibly Super Bowl contenders. Meanwhile, an equally decrepit franchise in the Lions is still getting the Rodney Dangerfield treatment with no respect. 

That said, I expect the Browns to be a solid playoff team this season and do not foresee the same for the Lions.

Because the Browns have a roster that can win their division?

Snacks Harrison will be reporting to camp on time(Wednesday) per the NFL Network...presumably without a new contract.

Flowers has a minor injury and they don't want to aggravate it. He doesn't have to practice until he is 100% and the roster spot can be used by someone else to get knocked around in training camp.

And Darius Slay is reporting to camp on time so the roster will be fully intact to start.

Some Lions on the football outsiders($) breakout list:

det.png&w=110&h=110

2. Da'Shawn Hand, DL, Detroit Lions

Defensive snaps in 2018: 455

Hand was the consensus No. 1 recruit in his class coming out of high school in 2014 but didn't live up to expectations at Alabama. He had great technique and strength, but he never became the kind of force you'd expect from his tools. Hand paired that résumé with a subpar combine in which he ran a self-destructive 7.98-second 3-cone drill. He fell all the way to the fourth round. The one saving grace was his 34⅜-inch arm length; some NFL teams measure pass-rushers by how much distance they can gain with their arms.

12. Tracy Walker, S, Detroit Lions

Defensive snaps in 2018: 267

A small-school background with Louisiana-Lafayette left outside observers and draftniks a little less sold on Walker's long-term future than the third-round pick would suggest. Most thought Walker was more of a fit in the later rounds of the draft. A 4.51 40-yard dash at the NFL combine helped get him some extra looks, and an 81½-inch wingspan didn't hurt. Walker has humongous arms.

17. Tyrell Crosby, OT, Detroit Lions

Offensive snaps in 2018: 128

Crosby was a surprise faller in the draft process, as most draftniks assumed he would be a top-50 pick. He played with terrific strength at Oregon and showed above-average athleticism at the combine. Most comments we heard about Crosby this fall tended to be about scouts not liking his body and the way it held its weight. Fast-forward to now, and here's a player who could be a long-term starter at right tackle who was available in the fifth round. The Lions aren't complaining too much.

Lions have reportedly signed DT Mike Daniels.  It's amazing how about a year ago at this time the Dline looked like the weakest part of the team but now it's probably one of the best in the whole league.  What a turnaround! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Lions have reportedly signed DT Mike Daniels.  It's amazing how about a year ago at this time the Dline looked like the weakest part of the team but now it's probably one of the best in the whole league.  What a turnaround! 

ESPN has it...  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27264725/source-ex-packer-daniels-finalizing-lions-deal

So here is the pessimist in me. What if the Trey Flowers injury is more serious than the team is letting on? I don't think anyone had Daniels to Detroit on their radar.