Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

Claiborne is still a FA. He’s good when he is on the field, which isn’t too often. I’d be interested if I were Quinn. CB2 is a real issue, plus you can never ever have enough CB depth.

I think they already chose Melvin over Claiborne. I roll with the guys we got for now myself. Melvin allowed bout an 80 passer rating last time he played a man heavy scheme. Big Amani O fan too.

Pride of Detroit: ESPN panel not very optimistic about Detroit Lions’ next 3 years

The next three years are absolutely crucial for general manager Bob Quinn and head coach Matt Patricia. The team took over a mediocre Detroit Lions team last year and quickly turned them into a bottom-10 team.

That has likely shortened their leash on the franchise and their plans for a full culture change. If Martha Ford doesn’t see results in the next couple years, both of their jobs will undoubtedly be on the line. She didn’t hesitate to move on from Martin Mayhew midseason a few years ago.

But a panel of three ESPN analysts—Louis Riddick, Kevin Seifer and Field Yates—aren’t very optimistic about their ability to turn it around that quickly. On Tuesday, ESPN released what they’re calling “NFL Future Power Rankings” (Insider required) projecting how each team will perform in the next three years. Rankings were based on five different criteria: quarterback, rest of the roster, draft, front office and coaching.

Based on those rankings, the Lions came in all the way at 21st. The rankings were especially unfavorable to Patricia, who came in at 26th among coaching rankings. Seifert was brutal in his criticism of the Lions head coach.

“This ranking could improve if Detroit’s next coach is better than Patricia,” Seifert wrote.

Rumor out of Dallas is that Zeke Elliott is going to skip training camp. Colin Cowherd today suggest the Cowboys should trade him. Would you trade Kerryon for Zeke straight up if Dallas was willing to make the trade?

I wouldn't. Elliot has had a couple off the field incidents. I'm guessing he's holding out for more money. Not sure I want to trade Johnson for a back who will get a lot of guaranteed cash with off the field issues. 

i dont think ive seen one national publication be optimistic about the lions.  it feels weird that im more optimistic than most other folks.

this year is huge for this regime.  if they go 6-10 again I think stafford gets cut and quinn gets fired.

I think national publications just go by last season. When the Lions went 11-5 a few years ago, most had them as a 4-6 win team. Stafford has a down year and suddenly he can't play. I think this could be a 10 win team. If they finish with 6 wins or less, I'm guessing they clean house.

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

i dont think ive seen one national publication be optimistic about the lions.  it feels weird that im more optimistic than most other folks.

this year is huge for this regime.  if they go 6-10 again I think stafford gets cut and quinn gets fired.

I'm seeing 7-9, but no management changes. when have the lions ever hired front office with a record of success? The opener in arizona may tell us a lot.

Just now, sagnam said:

This seems like a 6-10 team to me. 

That's my standard prediction for the Lions every year.  I see nothing to change it this year.

1 hour ago, jb84 said:

I'm seeing 7-9, but no management changes. when have the lions ever hired front office with a record of success? The opener in arizona may tell us a lot.

When have the Lions ever lost to a bad team, starting a rookie QB, in the very first game of the season? Oh wait . . .

If they lose to Arizona and rookie Kyler Murray we are going to be in for another loooong season and probably a 6-10/7-9 record. I don't think they will fire Patricia mid-season, but 8 games into the season should be his measuring stick. If they have a record of 2-6 or god forbid 1-7 and the stain of losing to a rookie QB then I would want him fired mid-season and probably replaced with Bevell.

On the plus side, if Patrica is gone that likely means Quinn will be too. And if Quinn is gone, that means Stafford may be too. And if Stafford is gone I won't have to continue being to Stafford what tigersrok was to Dave Dombrowski.

Would not be surprised if they lose that zona game. Not a lot of reason to be optimistic. But that TE pick in the 1st rd will save the day! right

3 hours ago, jb84 said:

Their GM came from one of the most successful organizations of all time.

Not relevant. He was never a GM. You think everyone associated with Pats are successful with other teams? 

7 minutes ago, jb84 said:

Not relevant. He was never a GM. You think everyone associated with Pats are successful with other teams? 

Actual GM's with a track record of success rarely become available. It's best practice then to find a GM from a successful organization. They interviewed multiple candidates from multiple successful organizations.

I understand that. Just saying Lions deficient with hiring choices. Quinn has had 4 years. Do you think he is successful?

3 hours ago, jb84 said:

I understand that. Just saying Lions deficient with hiring choices. Quinn has had 4 years. Do you think he is successful?

this is the year we find out.

Agree. This is primarily Quinn's team now.

If the Lions completely flop this year, I don't see how you keep Quinn.

That said, I don't think they'll flop.

Does 8-8 get Quinn fired? Because an early look at the schedule and roster says an 8-8 record to me.

15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Does 8-8 get Quinn fired? Because an early look at the schedule and roster says an 8-8 record to me.

probably depends on how that 8-8 looks.  if its another year of getting torched early and being out of the playoff race all season only to win a couple games against teams that have given up or are injured at the end of the season, then maybe.

if theyre competitive but lose a couple unlucky games or if injuries ravage the team but theyre still competitive, then probably not.

35 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

No record gets him fired. Lions stayed with Millen how long? Looks like 7-9 to me.

15 hours ago, jb84 said:

Agree. This is primarily Quinn's team now.

8-8 type team. Lions are +400 bet to make playoffs in Vegas.

Quinn should be on a really hot seat, but isn't. Defenders are trying to say the Caldwell year doesn't count. Which actually they should want to count Caldwell did well in Detroit by our standards.

4 hours ago, jb84 said:

No record gets him fired. Lions stayed with Millen how long? Looks like 7-9 to me.

Except, this is a different owner who fired a GM only a half year removed from winning 11 games.