Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:30 PM, Hart said:

I agree.  It's a bummer they didn't get an offensive coordinator we can get excited about.  They did a great job with roster changes.  I don't really like Patricia but I do have to admit he does know defense.  I just worry the offense is not going to be able to take the necessary steps forward because of coaching.  

You can't get excited about Bevell? Have you seen this man call plays?

Bevell isn't trendy. He doesn't come from that vaunted Rams offense that scored three points in the Super Bowl. 

I know right. Who wants the guy who dropped  40 burger in the SB when they could have that. Remember last time he had  gunslinger...

But Lions president Rod Wood said that she’s much different than her late husband, who had a reputation for hanging on too long to bad hires.

“I think Mrs. Ford is a very different owner than her husband and has a lot less patience and a lot less tolerance for mediocrity, which is why we’ve made some of the changes that we’ve made,” Wood said, via Fox 17. “Certainly when I was hired and we had the opening for a General Manager, I wanted to go to an organization and hire somebody who was used to winning and had come from an organization that doesn’t know anything other than winning. That’s why we landed on Bob Quinn. And then after we decided to make a change with the head coach, we kind of went back and looked for the same kind of opportunity to add a coach who doesn’t expect anything less than competing for the Super Bowl every year.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/07/lions-president-93-year-old-owner-has-less-patience-than-late-husband/

Great deal by Seattle to get Ziggy...he will stay healthy and have a huge year for them...no question.

9 hours ago, kdog said:

Great deal by Seattle to get Ziggy...he will stay healthy and have a huge year for them...no question.

Ziggy Ansah's okay when he's healthy, but he's no Teez Tabor.

patrick petersen suspended for first 6 games.

1) now the lions dont have to face him when they play arizona.

2) should put to rest any ideas of trading for him.

peter king was on the radio here fellating the bears fans like he usually does.  talked about how the nfc north was going to be so tough because the vikings and packers were both really good and will challenge the mighty bears.  didnt even mention the lions.  not even in passing.

reminded me how much national people dont even think about the lions and how much peter king is past his prime.

i think the lions have as good of a chance to win the north as the pack/bears/vikings.  and i think theyre a better team than the packers for sure.

The Packers are being so overrated.   Since 2014 the Pack have won 4 more games than the Lions total.    While they won a couple divisions it's not like they have been head and shoulders above anybody else in those years and of course they are coming off of back to back losing seasons.    Also as good as Rodgers is since 2014 he's only finished in the top 12 of total QBR once, and of course he just keeps getting older and more banged up yet experts just treat it like he's going to be the Rodgers of 2011 or 2012.  

that's the other thing about green bay, rogers isnt that good anymore.  not that he's bad or anything, not that he cant pull a rabbit out of his a$s on occasion, but he isnt the game in game out death machine at qb that he was before.  he's been injured for a significant amount of time every year now and its starting to show.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

that's the other thing about green bay, rogers isnt that good anymore.  not that he's bad or anything, not that he cant pull a rabbit out of his a$s on occasion, but he isnt the game in game out death machine at qb that he was before.  he's been injured for a significant amount of time every year now and its starting to show.

He has lost a lot of quickness/mobility,  can't create the  time and opportunity to ad lib and keep plays alive like he used to.

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

patrick petersen suspended for first 6 games.

1) now the lions dont have to face him when they play arizona.

2) should put to rest any ideas of trading for him.

I'd still trade for him if the Lions are in contention weeks 6-8.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:41 AM, Nastradamus said:

Remember last time he had  gunslinger...

23rd out of 32 in offense and let go at the end of the season.

On 5/16/2019 at 4:52 PM, RandyMarsh said:

The Packers are being so overrated.   Since 2014 the Pack have won 4 more games than the Lions total.    While they won a couple divisions it's not like they have been head and shoulders above anybody else in those years and of course they are coming off of back to back losing seasons.    Also as good as Rodgers is since 2014 he's only finished in the top 12 of total QBR once, and of course he just keeps getting older and more banged up yet experts just treat it like he's going to be the Rodgers of 2011 or 2012.  

I agree but they did have a good offseason. They have really tried to shore up their terrible secondary.  IF Rodgers stays healthy and the defense improves they will be a much better team.

early betting line has the lions as favorites for only 2 games next season.  that combined with an o/u of 6 1/2 should let us all know how outside observers feel about the lions next season.

they are not impressed.

27 minutes ago, Buddha said:

early betting line has the lions as favorites for only 2 games next season.  that combined with an o/u of 6 1/2 should let us all know how outside observers feel about the lions next season.

they are not impressed.

I'm going to be interested to see the secondary play. That seems to be the spot where there is the biggest disconnect between what we on the outside think are problems vs what the Lions themselves think are problems. 

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I'm going to be interested to see the secondary play. That seems to be the spot where there is the biggest disconnect between what we on the outside think are problems vs what the Lions themselves think are problems. 

i think the outside looks at the lions roster and sees very few difference makers on either side of the ball.  they look at last year's results and dont see anything special.  they look at the rest of the division having the bears and vikings' defenses and aaron rogers.  and they know the lions have traditionally been a bad team who have never won anything.

i think its a combination of that as well as the rest of the teams in the division being more glamourous teams.

personally i think the lions are being woefully underrated.  i think theyre a real sleeper to win the division.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

i think the outside looks at the lions roster and sees very few difference makers on either side of the ball.  they look at last year's results and dont see anything special.  they look at the rest of the division having the bears and vikings' defenses and aaron rogers.  and they know the lions have traditionally been a bad team who have never won anything.

i think its a combination of that as well as the rest of the teams in the division being more glamourous teams.

personally i think the lions are being woefully underrated.  i think theyre a real sleeper to win the division.  

I don't like to agree with you, but I do for just this one time.

• Haha 1

Btw, the Lions win number in Vegas is 6.5...bet the house and I'll take my commission.

23 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I don't like to agree with you, but I do for just this one time.

all this talk of global warming is bunk.  if you look closely enough, you'll find that **** has just frozen over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the strength of the Lions team is that they are a pretty complete team, without any obvious holes.  We'll see.

On 5/20/2019 at 12:28 PM, Buddha said:

they are not impressed.

Lions.jpg.08d52f07d691bc98ab523ecfa61287

14 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I think the strength of the Lions team is that they are a pretty complete team, without any obvious holes.  We'll see.

CB2 is a hole in my opinion. Some of the guys they are counting on won't pan out either. 

I hope I am wrong but Melvin and Tabor seems like a potential train wreck. Melvin has never been healthy any period of time. Coleman is a Nickel and should not be used on the outside as he is awful there. Hopefully Oruwariye can do something quicker than most CBs. Christian Jones isn't a world beater either, but hes is the 3rd Lb in a system that does not always need one of those on the field. I hope JBR can come back healthy because the Lions desperately need an off the ball LB and he is the best coverage Lb they have.