Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Of course not.

I only took the first trade down because it garnered an additional 2nd rounder... And I didn't feel like playing with the later rounds so I just drafted as is... And I agree that strategic moves up to grab a talent are definitely warranted... I just didn't do it...

But one more point... even if the team drafts 9 or 10 guys, not making the team doesn't mean that we won't stash a few of them on the PS for development/ injury coverage, etc...

i do that all the time when i do those mock draft games.

"trade my second rounder for four picks?  **** yeah!"

then i end up with like 12 picks and nobody i like.

18 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I couldn't get him... was trying to nab Ryan Finley...

Finley needs to trade weights with Kyler "Fatso" Murray.

To my knowledge Lee has never played for New England and didn't attend Syracuse when Paul Pasqualoni was coaching there. In all seriousness though, depending on what the Jets were asking and if Patricia felt Lee would be a schematic fit with his defense, I'd be interested in making a trade. A 3rd round valuation for a player as young and talented as Lee seems about right, but the Jets may demand more.

In the latest mock draft from Mel Kiper has us taking Montez Sweat. Sweat's been my new favorite post-combine, you can't have too many pass rushers in today's NFL.

1 minute ago, Nastradamus said:

Sweat is far and away in the lead for us IMO. He's basically Clowney

If he can be Clowney with less injury history that would be incredible.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:25 PM, Buddha said:

i'm not convinced crosby is anything more than a career backup swing tackle.  but we'll see.

lions just signed another bad cb for depth and paid him #2 money.  they still have a lot of money left if they want to go crazy and trade for patrick petersen.

as far as the draft goes, they can draft bpa.  they can go any direction and see who falls to them.

Closer to #4 money fwiw. Melvin is a good fit IMO. Not an ideal starter at CB2, but he's better than Teez and Lawson last year and gives us size to do fun matchups in the RZ.

5 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Closer to #4 money fwiw. Melvin is a good fit IMO. Not an ideal starter at CB2, but he's better than Teez and Lawson last year and gives us size to do fun matchups in the RZ.

is there any deal the lions sign you dont like? :)

But in all seriousness, its time for everyone to stop pretending the cap hasn't changed since 1996. Gotta think percent of cap and gotta use comparables. #3 corners are getting 4-9 million dollars these days. 

• I like tall corners, but Melvin isn't that good as I mentioned. We signed a bunch of guys who leave you in a position to not have to force a draft pick, but don't block anyone either. Its not rocket science. Those guys will hit and miss. More missed last year than hit probably, oh well, they are all off the books without any dead money. 

2 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Sure, the ones you like

lol.

name me one deal quinn has signed that you dont or didnt like.  i bet we can comb this thread and find positive statements you made about every one of them.

btw, i like all the deals the lions signed this year.  i think theyre going to be good next year as long as stafford returns to normal.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

lol.

name me one deal quinn has signed that you dont or didnt like.  i bet we can comb this thread and find positive statements you made about every one of them.

btw, i like all the deals the lions signed this year.  i think theyre going to be good next year as long as stafford returns to normal.

I play devil's advocate  and I appreciate the plan. You should know that by now. A guy like BLount was a good signing to me. It didnt' work out well, but it was a smart signing at the time and I'll always defend the strategy. If that bothers you so be it. 

Mr. "the lions signed a bunch of bad players" thinks I'm too general though lol. Its easy to like the flashy signings, but its the middle third of the roster that made the Patriots dynasty great, that and the understanding of matchups. 

Just now, Nastradamus said:

I play devil's advocate  and I appreciate the plan. You should know that by now. A guy like BLount was a good signing to me. It didnt' work out well, but it was a smart signing at the time and I'll always defend the strategy. If that bothers you so be it. 

oh come on now, were just messing around.  dont take it personal.

fwiw, i like to read people who are positive on the lions.  it helps calm my inner lions pessimist.

Just now, Buddha said:

fwiw, i like to read people who are positive on the lions.  it helps calm my inner lions pessimist.

lol, I gotta defend myself a bit I get too feisty though. 

This will be the big year to see if the plan has worked. We may or may not win a playoff game, but you could always tell past Lions playoff teams were frauds. We'll be able to tell if they've built a real contender going forward or not IMO. I'm pretty impressed by Quinn right now obviously, minus Teez and Sly, but he's gotta nail this draft at last year's level again 

Just now, Buddha said:

This will be the big year to see if the plan has worked. We may or may not win a playoff game, but you could always tell past Lions playoff teams were frauds. We'll be able to tell if they've built a real contender going forward or not IMO. I'm pretty impressed by Quinn right now obviously, minus Teez and Sly, but he's gotta nail this draft at last year's level again 

4 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

his drafts have been pretty good so far.  i'd feel a lot better in my optimism if the line stays healthy and gets a solid year from someone at right guard.

and dont say this too loud, but i think left tackle might be an issue.  not in a way that he's unplayable, but that his ceiling is merely "ok".  

and they need one more receiver.  be it a tight end or a wideout.

6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

his drafts have been pretty good so far.  i'd feel a lot better in my optimism if the line stays healthy and gets a solid year from someone at right guard.

and dont say this too loud, but i think left tackle might be an issue.  not in a way that he's unplayable, but that his ceiling is merely "ok".  

and they need one more receiver.  be it a tight end or a wideout.

Yah, I like Decker a little more than that maybe, but close enough. They don't want to pay him Trent Brown money IMO.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Dolphins tried to trade for Stafford prior to the 2018 season. 

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/report-dolphins-tried-to-pry-matthew-stafford-from-lions-in-2018

It's interesting, but it doesn't sound like they were even really close to anything.  My guess is that it was something like:

"Hey Patricia, would you be open to trading Stafford if we came up with the right package?"
"Hmm... ya know what... yeah, I'd entertain offers.  Lemme know what you're thinking."
"Well, we're just check who would be willing to trade right now, we'll get back to you if we decide to make a push for him."

Jordan Howard was traded to Philadelphia for a 6th round pick. It was highly unlikely that Chicago would've traded him to Detroit, but I would've traded a 6th round pick for him.