Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

2 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Not certain about this love affair with slot receivers but... I think they need to find a burner/ outside WR to develop behind Marvin. At least a #2 type. Stretch the field and open up the middle for RB's/ TE's & slots...

I'd rather Emanuel Hall in the 4th-5th, or Terry McLaurin, or for a late round sleeper Toledo's Jon Johnson. Or if ya' really wanna go slot then Terry Godwin...

Don't think there's a love affair with slots as much as it being a need where as we have 2 top 40 WRs on the outside. The new guy is for returning and camp fodder IMO. He's not in place of something else. 

fwiw I think they'll draft a WR to challenge/potentially replace Marvin at some point in rounds 3-5. 

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

What are the terms?

2 years $3.25m

If this prevents them from drafting a RB in rounds 2-4, I'm all for it. I'd rather they use those picks for more pressing needs of like LB, Lang replacement, TE, #2CB.

13 hours ago, NYLion said:

2 years $3.25m

If this prevents them from drafting a RB in rounds 2-4, I'm all for it. I'd rather they use those picks for more pressing needs of like LB, Lang replacement, TE, #2CB.

With, supposedly, only one million guaranteed.  The Rams were going to pay him more than two million for 2019 alone, so it seems odd that he signed the Lions' offer sheet.  Maybe something's going on that I haven't read in any reports, like the Rams' contract carried no guarantees and he feared being cut by them or something. 

Logan Thomas, who was a former Va. Tech QB in college, had 19 receptions for 144 yards and a TD in his two seasons with the Bills.

This team still has a lot of cap room, they have backloaded a bunch of contracts. 

Maybe they are getting ready to part with #9 - as soon as THIS offseason.      If not this year, absolutely next year.   

49 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This team still has a lot of cap room, they have backloaded a bunch of contracts. 

Maybe they are getting ready to part with #9 - as soon as THIS offseason.      If not this year, absolutely next year.   

It makes sense. Why else would they have signed Connor Cook? 

On 3/19/2019 at 8:04 PM, Kamakzie said:

What are the odds the Rams will match?

They matched it

On 3/15/2019 at 4:00 PM, Longgone said:

I think their biggest need is right guard, then corner, then receiver. Don't really want rookies at those positions.

Crosby. However, he provides depth, so regardless the Lion's still need to pick up some O-line help. There are some OKish RB still on the market who would be good to pair with Johnson. I see CB2 was the biggest need. However, I fear the Lions view Coleman as an outside corner. Coleman is good as a slow guy, but he is terrible on the outside. 

The list of CBs still on the market is pretty poor. Everyone has injury history or is better suited to play the inside. 

8 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Crosby. However, he provides depth, so regardless the Lion's still need to pick up some O-line help. There are some OKish RB still on the market who would be good to pair with Johnson. I see CB2 was the biggest need. However, I fear the Lions view Coleman as an outside corner. Coleman is good as a slow guy, but he is terrible on the outside. 

The list of CBs still on the market is pretty poor. Everyone has injury history or is better suited to play the inside. 

I agree with Crosby, but Lions don't seem to be moving in that direction.

i'm not convinced crosby is anything more than a career backup swing tackle.  but we'll see.

lions just signed another bad cb for depth and paid him #2 money.  they still have a lot of money left if they want to go crazy and trade for patrick petersen.

as far as the draft goes, they can draft bpa.  they can go any direction and see who falls to them.

I just did a 7-round mock draft called "the NFL Draft Game" by first-pick.com... I love being able to make trades, but it's not even remotely realistic... I'd kill for this draft though:

Traded down in the first with Denver and picked up their 2nd round pick, so:

1st round (Denver's 10th spot): Montez Sweat, DE

2nd round (Denver's 9th spot): TJ Hockenson, TE

2nd round (our 11th spot): Justin Layne, CB

3rd round (24th) Chris Lindstrom, OG

4th round (9th) Emanuel Hall, WR

5th round (8th) Justin Hollins, OLB

6th round (11th) Rodney Anderson, RB

6th round (31st) Tony Pollard, RB

7th round (10th) Sean Bunting, CB

7th round (15th) Trysten Hill, DT

24 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I just did a 7-round mock draft called "the NFL Draft Game" by first-pick.com... I love being able to make trades, but it's not even remotely realistic... I'd kill for this draft though:

What Grade did it give you?  

I hate the fact that the game insists the Lions need a DT.  They have Snacks, Hand and Robinson, they're pretty good there.  

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

i'm not convinced crosby is anything more than a career backup swing tackle.  but we'll see.

lions just signed another bad cb for depth and paid him #2 money.  they still have a lot of money left if they want to go crazy and trade for patrick petersen.

as far as the draft goes, they can draft bpa.  they can go any direction and see who falls to them.

A one year $3.5 million deal is #2 money these days? Melvin was pretty good in 2017. Oakland was dysfunctional. I think it's a good low risk signing. 

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What Grade did it give you?  

I hate the fact that the game insists the Lions need a DT.  They have Snacks, Hand and Robinson, they're pretty good there.  

IIRC it was a A- with a 31,500-ish score... 1st time I played it this year...

PS: I don't mind taking a late-round flyer on a DT... you can always stash that player on the PS for a year or two... good injury insurance if he's good enough. And I took Hill with the specific plan of having a backup to Snacks...

Although I was looking for a mid-to-late-round QB to develop and give Cook a run for the #2... But I was hunting Ryan Finley and didn't really have a good shot at nabbing him...

12 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Where's the guy to replace Stafford in the third week of the season?

7 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Where's the guy to replace Stafford in the third week of the season?

I couldn't get him... was trying to nab Ryan Finley...

21 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

you end up with too many picks if you trade back all the time.  no way ten guys make the team.

i know everyone likes to trade back, but sometimes its just as good to accumulate the picks and then move up once or twice to get a good guy who is falling than take a flyer on a bunch of seventh round guys who will never pan out.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

you end up with too many picks if you trade back all the time.  no way ten guys make the team.

i know everyone likes to trade back, but sometimes its just as good to accumulate the picks and then move up once or twice to get a good guy who is falling than take a flyer on a bunch of seventh round guys who will never pan out.

Of course not.

I only took the first trade down because it garnered an additional 2nd rounder... And I didn't feel like playing with the later rounds so I just drafted as is... And I agree that strategic moves up to grab a talent are definitely warranted... I just didn't do it...

But one more point... even if the team drafts 9 or 10 guys, not making the team doesn't mean that we won't stash a few of them on the PS for development/ injury coverage, etc...