Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

i like what the lions have done so far.  such a weird feeling after last year's debacle.

its almost like they knew they werent going to be good last year and they saved all their powder for this year.

they better be at least 9-7 this year or quinn is right on the hot seat.

If they go 9-7 and just miss the playoffs next I'm willing to give the Quinn and Patrica regime another shot. If next season turns about to be a do over of 2018 or starts off like Caldwell's 0-5 campaign did in 2015 then I'm brooming Patricia at the bye week and maybe Quinn, but likely at season's end for him. After this off-season is concluded Quinn will have had plenty of time to put his stamp on this team.

Assuming Stafford can elevate his play back up with Bevell as his new OC and a new weapon or two on offense, I expect better things out of this team. I also feel that the Bears and/or Vikings are candidates for taking a step back. The Bears because Trubisky is a subpar QB and the Vikings because they lost some talent on defense and also have a very Stafford-esque, that they too have grossly overpaid in Cousins. Am I calling for them to make the playoffs, I'm not ready to go that far yet.

the bears were extraordinarily healthy last year and were massively positive on their turnover ratio.

two things that are not likely to repeat themselves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

There are some gaping holes, there is still plenty of time to fill them. So no need for panic yet. But Quinn better find a solution to them.

They still have the draft to address those needs and cap space to pick up some depth players.

I hope they sign Crowell or Anderson to eliminate one need going into the draft. I'd rather they not burn a 2nd or 3rd on a #2 RB.

58 minutes ago, NYLion said:

They still have the draft to address those needs and cap space to pick up some depth players.

I hope they sign Crowell or Anderson to eliminate one need going into the draft. I'd rather they not burn a 2nd or 3rd on a #2 RB.

I think their biggest need is right guard, then corner, then receiver. Don't really want rookies at those positions.

25 minutes ago, Longgone said:

I think their biggest need is right guard, then corner, then receiver. Don't really want rookies at those positions.

Their biggest need is linebacker by a mile.

6 minutes ago, sagnam said:

Their biggest need is linebacker by a mile.

Probably not when they’re in a nickel 70% of the time.

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Probably not when they’re in a nickel 70% of the time.

Still need linebackers in nickle.

3 minutes ago, sagnam said:

Still need linebackers in nickle.

Yes, and they do need linebackers, but they have a couple who are at least average, they have no right guard and no corner, and an unproven safety. Their three receivers are two who are formidable deep threats, but not that good at separating, and a declining 33 year old.

On 3/15/2019 at 5:00 PM, Longgone said:

You can plug and play any right guard.  Its never a huge need imo.

2 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I would strenuously, vociferously disagree with this also. Guards are extremely important in today's NFL.

To me I still think our biggest need is a true playmaker on offense.   I just don't think we have a single guy that strikes fear in any opponent or can take it to the house at any point.  Hopefully Kerryon and/or Kenny G become that guy but one way or another I think we're going to need somebody to fill that void.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

3 hours ago, Longgone said:

I would strenuously, vociferously disagree with this also. Guards are extremely important in today's NFL.

The right answer lies somewhere in between these two.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

The right answer lies somewhere in between these two.  

Teams don't just put their best pass rusher in the right side anymore. They move people all over and rush from everywhere. Interior defensive linemen are extremely athletic and powerful, and reading and responding to a defense is complex. A guard these days isn't just a grinder, he has to play in space and make adjustments on the fly.

All positions are important in the modern NFL.  If you asked me which position requires the least natural skill and talent, I’d say offensive guard.  It’s still Important but it is easier to find these guys that it would be a DE or WR.  

59 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

All positions are important in the modern NFL.  If you asked me which position requires the least natural skill and talent, I’d say offensive guard.  It’s still Important but it is easier to find these guys that it would be a DE or WR.  

A dysfunctional O-Line F's up your entire offense, and you're weakest link on that line can F up the entire offensive line.

A Pro-Bowler is not required at every O-Line position. But we better have a competent, above-average player at RG that doesn't create a weak-link cascade of problems on the line...

We've actually experienced that the past few years so... It better be a high round (not necessarily the 1st) priority. 

31 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

A dysfunctional O-Line F's up your entire offense, and you're weakest link on that line can F up the entire offensive line.

A Pro-Bowler is not required at every O-Line position. But we better have a competent, above-average player at RG that doesn't create a weak-link cascade of problems on the line...

We've actually experienced that the past few years so... It better be a high round (not necessarily the 1st) priority. 

I agree with all of this.

I also still think that OG is easier found than other positions.   The Lions should improve their IOL but I’m not so sure they should spend another high draft pick there.  

19 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I agree with all of this.

I also still think that OG is easier found than other positions.   The Lions should improve their IOL but I’m not so sure they should spend another high draft pick there.  

Well... I don't see a 2nd or 3rd as an issue; more especially if they are able to swing a trade-down. I know it takes two so nothing but hopeful at this point... but if they can swing it, four picks in the top 45-ish gets them a pass-rusher (either rush-LB'er or DE... although I'd prefer if it's a LB'er that he's more well-rounded than just a rusher... like, can cover TE's...), RG, pass-catcher (most likely one of those athletic pass-catching TE's... I think WR can be mid-to-late-round "flyers" that can be found... and next year it can be a higher priority...), and a CB.

Middle rounds for depth RB, depth WR, depth QB, etc...

Just how I envision this draft going down...

Need changes every year.  Thats why it’s smart to draft best player on your board.   Obviously team need should play a factor in putting the board together but it shouldn’t be the main reason that you draft a player in the early rounds.   

48 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Need changes every year.  Thats why it’s smart to draft best player on your board.   Obviously team need should play a factor in putting the board together but it shouldn’t be the main reason that you draft a player in the early rounds.   

Correct.

But since team needs cant just be ignored, the best hope is that BPA and team needs match up. Not necessarily on a one-to-one relationship (IE: 1st round MUST be a pass-rusher, 2nd round RG, etc...); but that for example, our first 4 selections offer BPA's that make for the best choices possible and also fill at the same time our top 3 or 4 needs. 

So I hope BPA's line up with some of our top team needs... I still envision our draft going somewhat along the lines I mentioned above...

The Lions just added a huge weapon to their passing-game arsenal.  They signed "receiver" Tommylee Lewis, late of the Saints.  Lewis caught three passes last year and 20 in his three seasons in New Orleans, so he is obviously a big-time playmaker.  And he managed that output with substandard quarterback  Drew Brees throwing to him, so we should be able to expect even more production now that he'll be on the field with the great Matthew Stafford.

If anyone was thinking that the Lions might  target D.K. Metcalf or Marquise Brown in next month's draft, this major acquisition should put that thought to rest.

I'm never one for trading up in the 1st or 2nd rounds of the draft. However, if Hollywood Brown fell to the top of the 2nd due to injury concerns, I would be tempted to move up and get him. I think the guy has the makings of an explosive slot receiver and could be an even faster version of what we had with Golden Tate. Brown, more than Meltcalf is the type of receiver this team needs: shifty, explosive, can use his speed to get open.

The other receiver I want us to snag in the later rounds is Hunter Renfrow from Clemson. The guy has the makings of being an Amandola type of wideout aka a poor man's Julian Edelman.

Not certain about this love affair with slot receivers but... I think they need to find a burner/ outside WR to develop behind Marvin. At least a #2 type. Stretch the field and open up the middle for RB's/ TE's & slots...

I'd rather Emanuel Hall in the 4th-5th, or Terry McLaurin, or for a late round sleeper Toledo's Jon Johnson. Or if ya' really wanna go slot then Terry Godwin...

I can understand the Brown offer, he checks a lot of Quinn/Patriot boxes. ST stud, pass pro stud, very good 3 cone drill, physicality. Kerryon, Theo, Zenner, Brown is a very cheap, versatile and effective RB group IMO. Next year is a WAY better RB class so I think we wait a year to draft another one with a significant pick, unless insane value comes our way. They could also cut Theo though if Brown goes through and draft a RB this year to fill things out.