Jump to content

Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Clowny will likely cost a fortune. He also Generally misses a lot of time due to injury this year is the exception to his career so far. I’ve had enough of the Ansah situation, and this is a more expensive option.

Avilability is an ability. I’d rather have a inferior play who can generally be counted on and is less expensive.

Suh has made comments that he did not like the Lions organization. So he isn’t coming back to Detroit. Lions also do not have a pressing need for a DT. Funds would better be allocated to Edge rushers, secondary and a coverage LB. 

Clowney is likely to get tagged.  He's not leaving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

247 Sports: George Godsey Named as Potential Replacement for JBC as Lions OC

What an ABSOLUTE DISASTER this would be. George Godsey was a complete failure as the OC in Houston with the 30th ranked offense. This would be sooooooooo Lions, making a lateral move and promoting the next man up as OC. If this is the move they make then next season is automatically doomed from the start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

247 Sports: George Godsey Named as Potential Replacement for JBC as Lions OC

What an ABSOLUTE DISASTER this would be. George Godsey was a complete failure as the OC in Houston with the 30th ranked offense. This would be sooooooooo Lions, making a lateral move and promoting the next man up as OC. If this is the move they make then next season is automatically doomed from the start.

George Godsey enters his second season with the Lions and first as the team’s quarterbacks coach. He joined the Lions coaching staff in 2017 as a defensive assistant following a two-year stint (2015-16) as the Houston Texans’ offensive coordinator and one season as the team’s quarterbacks coach (2014). Prior to Houston, he spent three seasons with the New England Patriots, starting as an offensive assistant in 2011 before coaching the tight ends from 2012-13.

LIONS COACHING HIGHLIGHTS

2017: The 2017 Lions defense displayed a consistent ability to generate turnovers, as Detroit concluded the season ranking third in the NFL in total takeaways (32) and fourth in points scored off turnovers (99). The Lions also ranked fourth in interceptions (19) and tied for second in opponent fumble recoveries (13).

In Godsey’s two seasons at the helm of the Houston offense, the Texans claimed back-to-back AFC South Division titles and earned a win over Oakland in the AFC Wild Card round in 2016. In 2015, Houston became the only NFL team since 1950 to make the playoffs with four different starting quarterbacks winning at least one regular season game. QB Brian Hoyer led the way with a 5-4 record in nine starts and set single-season career highs in passer rating (91.4), completion percentage (60.7) and passing touchdowns (19).

Godsey entered the NFL ranks with the Patriots, first as an offensive assistant in 2011. That season, the team earned the top seed in the AFC with a 13-3 record and advanced to Super Bowl XLVI. From 2012-13 Godsey guided the Patriots tight ends, including Rob Gronkowski, who earned a spot in the Pro Bowl following the 2012 season with his team-leading 11 touchdowns and 11 games played.

https://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches-roster/george-godsey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

247 Sports: George Godsey Named as Potential Replacement for JBC as Lions OC

What an ABSOLUTE DISASTER this would be. George Godsey was a complete failure as the OC in Houston with the 30th ranked offense. This would be sooooooooo Lions, making a lateral move and promoting the next man up as OC. If this is the move they make then next season is automatically doomed from the start.

Is it the coach, or the players?  I'll take a sucky coach with great players.  You can have Brian Hoyer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

247 Sports: George Godsey Named as Potential Replacement for JBC as Lions OC

What an ABSOLUTE DISASTER this would be. George Godsey was a complete failure as the OC in Houston with the 30th ranked offense. This would be sooooooooo Lions, making a lateral move and promoting the next man up as OC. If this is the move they make then next season is automatically doomed from the start.

Also, your link lead to some politcal mumbo jumbo.  Please fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

George Godsey enters his second season with the Lions and first as the team’s quarterbacks coach. He joined the Lions coaching staff in 2017 as a defensive assistant following a two-year stint (2015-16) as the Houston Texans’ offensive coordinator and one season as the team’s quarterbacks coach (2014). Prior to Houston, he spent three seasons with the New England Patriots, starting as an offensive assistant in 2011 before coaching the tight ends from 2012-13.

LIONS COACHING HIGHLIGHTS

2017: The 2017 Lions defense displayed a consistent ability to generate turnovers, as Detroit concluded the season ranking third in the NFL in total takeaways (32) and fourth in points scored off turnovers (99). The Lions also ranked fourth in interceptions (19) and tied for second in opponent fumble recoveries (13).

In Godsey’s two seasons at the helm of the Houston offense, the Texans claimed back-to-back AFC South Division titles and earned a win over Oakland in the AFC Wild Card round in 2016. In 2015, Houston became the only NFL team since 1950 to make the playoffs with four different starting quarterbacks winning at least one regular season game. QB Brian Hoyer led the way with a 5-4 record in nine starts and set single-season career highs in passer rating (91.4), completion percentage (60.7) and passing touchdowns (19).

Godsey entered the NFL ranks with the Patriots, first as an offensive assistant in 2011. That season, the team earned the top seed in the AFC with a 13-3 record and advanced to Super Bowl XLVI. From 2012-13 Godsey guided the Patriots tight ends, including Rob Gronkowski, who earned a spot in the Pro Bowl following the 2012 season with his team-leading 11 touchdowns and 11 games played.

https://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches-roster/george-godsey

Ugh...........pretty certain Adam Gase is going to be available.    I'd take him over many other options

But if they go with Godsey it supports my theory that Patricia will not hire someone who can step in as a Head Coach mid-season.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Ugh...........pretty certain Adam Gase is going to be available.    I'd take him over many other options

But if they go with Godsey it supports my theory that Patricia will not hire someone who can step in as a Head Coach mid-season.   

Patricia has no background with Gase.  I don't see that as a possibility at all.  He has a long background with Godsey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gase was fired today in Miami. The Dolphins offense wasn't exactly loaded with talent, but it isn't as if Gase did a whole lot with what he was given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Gase was fired today in Miami. The Dolphins offense wasn't exactly loaded with talent, but it isn't as if Gase did a whole lot with what he was given.

Packers next head coach. 

 

By the way,  4:30, nothing on JBC.    Think he might stay?      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

YESSSSSSSSS!!! My prediction is coming true, this guy is going to be a starter for us haha.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Antonio Brown requested a trade in Pittsburgh. Would you call three Steelers if you were Bob Quinn?

They at least have to ask. He's a CMU guy so maybe he won't pout about playing here. It's amazing how Pittsburgh has managed to lose their all pro RB and WR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PASS

He’s so me first that he was willing to sit out a do or die week 17 game.  Similar things apparently happened 2 or 3 other times during the season where he felt disrespected and walked out on the team.   He’s the wrong side of 30 and is owed $60M against the cap the next 3 seasons.   No way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Antonio Brown requested a trade in Pittsburgh. Would you call the Steelers if you were Bob Quinn?

Nope.  Too expensive and too much of a headache (he's an *******).  They don't need a # 1 receiver they have  Kenny G and Marvin.  They need a slot guy like Tate.  I like Powell, I like TJ, but they need someone a little better.    The Lions would be better off with Le'Veon Bell.   A RB tandem of Kerryon & Le'Veon would be dynamite and the best part is that he has no mileage or hits on him for a year and he'll be 27 next year.   Zenner could be your power back.    I'm fine with losing Theo Riddick.   He's too expensive for what he gives us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bell is a head case, a distraction, and a guy who can't pass a whiz quiz (twice) in the past.  He might be worse than Brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they have so many other holes to fill and they already have a good, young promising rb in johnson, why would you waste all your cap space on leveon bell?  thats crazy.

get me a corner or pass rusher or an olineman in free agency before they go rb.

****, they should re-sign golden tate before they even think about signing a rb.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 2:12 PM, cruzer1 said:

Most LB's in the NFL can't cover, that's why they're a dying breed.  Teams like bringing in extra DB's for a reason.  Just get LB's to do simple stuff, and don't make it too complicated.

Which is why LB's that can cover are so valuable. If you can get one, take them.

They also for much more versatility and make it easier to disguise defensive looks. Devin White is a dynamic player. Ferrell is another guy I'd consider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Buddha said:

they have so many other holes to fill and they already have a good, young promising rb in johnson, why would you waste all your cap space on leveon bell?  thats crazy.

get me a corner or pass rusher or an olineman in free agency before they go rb.

****, they should re-sign golden tate before they even think about signing a rb.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...