Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

21 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Methinks they will let Tabor go on final cuts.

I think to save face they'll try and keep him all the way through camp and up to the final cut line in the preseason.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think to save face they'll try and keep him all the way through camp and up to the final cut line in the preseason.

Saving face means they'll try him at strong safety before releasing him...

he was a second round pick.  they should give him every opportunity to show he can play before they cut him.  

that should definitely mean trying him at safety, i.e.: the place where slow corners go to resurrect their careers.

• Like 1

btw, i look forward to the lions trading tabor to the pats for a conditional 6th rounder then watching him be the mvp in the next super bowl.

• Like 1

Tabor is certainly somebody that they should atleast keep another year.  Yes they reached for him and yes he is slow but all evaluators knew that going into the  draft and even though we reached I think he was still had a late 2nd or 3rd round grade.  Having a grade that high means that people saw something in him that he does well.   It's up to the Lions to figure that out and try to put him in the best position possible to maximize that.  That's the difference between great organizations/coaches and average ones.  

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Tabor is certainly somebody that they should atleast keep another year.  Yes they reached for him and yes he is slow but all evaluators knew that going into the  draft and even though we reached I think he was still had a late 2nd or 3rd round grade.  Having a grade that high means that people saw something in him that he does well.   It's up to the Lions to figure that out and try to put him in the best position possible to maximize that.  That's the difference between great organizations/coaches and average ones.  

The only thing that Tabor has done at all well is sit on the bench, and he has done  even that pretty slowly.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

he was a second round pick.  they should give him every opportunity to show he can play before they cut him.  

that should definitely mean trying him at safety, i.e.: the place where slow corners go to resurrect their careers.

I think he should be tried at safety. Might not make it there either but, yeah... where to put a slow corner to resurrect his career...

And no, I hope they don't trade him to the Pats for a conditional 6th...

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

the projection was that his other skills could cover his lack of speed, but that was an educated guess. His real performance in the NFL shows that conjecture was wrong. Sure his other attributes are still there, but they have now been proven insufficient to make him an effective cover against NFL quality receivers. It was a gamble, they lost. Sure they can try him at safety but either way it means the Lions need another corner in his spot.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

the projection was that his other skills could cover his lack of speed, but that was an educated guess. His real performance in the NFL shows that conjecture was wrong. Sure his other attributes are still there, but they have now been proven insufficient to make him an effective cover against NFL quality receivers. It was a gamble, they lost. Sure they can try him at safety but either way it means the Lions need another corner in his spot.

Well, I do hope they keep him.  The more roster spots they waste on bad if not utterly useless players, the better for this Lions hater.

One guy that I have gotten on-board with and would be excited to see the Lions sign is Bucs Wideout Adam Humphries. Humphries has average speed, but  great route running ability and terrific hands. He also creates separation through the tight, efficient routes he runs. He is also a tough receiver to bring down or deflect passes from because he fights all the way to the ground. Even with the subpar play of Tampa Bay QB's last year, between Fitzpatrick and Winston, Humphries put up solid numbers. At a mid-level price and only 25 years old I think he would make an excellent long term replacement in the slot for Golden Tate.

Humphries stats:

Targets: 105    Catches: 76    Yards: 816    YPC: 10.7    TD: 5    Catch %: 72.4%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

Well, I do hope they keep him.  The more roster spots they waste on bad if not utterly useless players, the better for this Lions hater.

there are a couple of ways of looking at hating the Lions. We could hope the lions are terrible as a prelude to getting better management on the theory we could then stop hating them; that is where we were for years with WCF, it never helped and eventually he died and we got new management. While the absurdities like setting the bar high and coaches riding Harleys onto the field at practice have passed away, sufficient clarity that the new management is much better remains lacking. Or we could all join Bob Costas and believe that it is impossible that football will ever again be a sport modern athletes can play without jello-ing the brains of an unacceptable subset of players and hate the whole game in the hope it actually does go away for the sake of its players. Or we could hate the game just on the principle that the commissioner along with the average football owner are all guys that very likely deserve to be hated.

So many choices and only 18 games a year to decide.

if he doesnt have the speed to stay with deep threats, but he has good instincts and can tackle, he can be a safety.

however, it appears that he may just not have nfl level speed at all.  and he was never a good tackler in college according to scouting reports.

if that's the case he doesnt have much of a future anywhere unless he's in a strictly zone scheme, i guess.

16 minutes ago, Buddha said:

if he doesnt have the speed to stay with deep threats, but he has good instincts and can tackle, he can be a safety.

however, it appears that he may just not have nfl level speed at all.  and he was never a good tackler in college according to scouting reports.

if that's the case he doesnt have much of a future anywhere unless he's in a strictly zone scheme, i guess.

Sports executives think too much - and often as not the result of them persuading themselves they are clever is just a wasted pick.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:54 PM, barryycomeback said:

Just got a Bleacher Report notice that we cut Glover.  Looks like Tracey Walker is going to be our guy.  I thought he looked pretty good when given an opportunity to play.  Might need to address in the draft or free agency.

Im fully on board the Walker train. That kid is going to be special IMO. Devin Mccourty special. 

18 hours ago, Buddha said:

Maybe he is kept on for Special Teams because of his tackling ability, but I just don't see the ability there for this guy to be a starter or even a backup on defense. This )and your favorite pick of Long Snapper) is Quinn's worst pick far and away.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Maybe he is kept on for Special Teams because of his tackling ability, but I just don't see the ability there for this guy to be a starter or even a backup on defense. This )and your favorite pick of Long Snapper) is Quinn's worst pick far and away.

Don't be so hard on the Long Snapper.  He was not only a better snapper than Teez Tabor, he was a better tackler.  And faster, too. 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

but is he actually a good tackler? they drafted him because of his instincts at playing the position, iirc.

On 2/17/2019 at 5:17 PM, Buddha said:

You can't play in the NFL with 4.7 speed.  I don't know why he thought he could.  Slow is slow.

• Like 1

Josh Norman ran a 4.66 and Kam Chancellor ran a 4.69 while Tabor ran a 4.62 at the combine. Had Tabor ran a 4.4 or 4.5, he would have been a 1st round pick. 

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/9937/trey-flowers

ESPN's Mike Reiss does not expect the Patriots to use the franchise tag on free agent DE Trey Flowers.

Reiss also believes the Pats will pass on franchising LT Trent Brown, leaving K Stephen Gostkowski as the only candidate. Flowers was the Pats' only difference-making pass rusher in 2018, but they probably don't want to pay him the north of $17 million for one season the tag would demand. Flowers should fetch a pretty penny on the open market.

22 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000795686/article/florida-pro-day-teez-tabor-disappoints-in-40yard-dash

NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah said a 4.75 clocking was the fastest unofficial time he received from NFL scouts present at Tabor's workout.

The first sentence of the article says he ran a 4.62 at the combine. Other players posted a near 4.7 and have been successful.