Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Help me out, I am not on Twitter.

What are the horrible things he has said on Twitter?

I don't give a **** about pig socks or the hurt feelings of cops.

You seriously don't know the horrible things Donald Trump has said on Twitter?

Social media is a cesspool I don't see the point of a celebrity using it.

Edited by Kamakzie
Twitter isn't the only one

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

No, Kaepernick.

I thought you were suggesting Kaepernick said a bunch of crap on Twitter.

I guess I don't get the point.

The point, as I see it, is that Trump isn't hated because he tweets. He's hated because of what he tweets about. Kapernick isn't out of the league because he expressed his views, it is the views he expressed. Simply saying Kapernick is not liked because he expressed his views, isn't accurate.

So Kaepernick expressing the view that police have treated the black community poorly and are not trusted is analogous to the vitriol generated by the most ourageous Trump tweets.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

So Kaepernick expressing the view that police have treated the black community poorly and are not trusted is analogous to the vitriol generated by the most ourageous Trump tweets.

I didn't make the comparison and I didn't interpret it that way. The point I get is, there is nothing inherently wrong with expressing your views. If Kapernick expressed his view that he prefers Coca Cola over Pepsi, no one would care. Similarly, there is nothing wrong with tweeting. Saying Kapernick is out of the league because he expressed his views isn't the complete picture. It's the views he expressed. Similarly, Trump isn't hated because he tweets. It is what he tweets about.

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

He's being blacklisted solely because of how he expressed his political views.

You raise an interesting point NY... I personally have no problem with what he stood up for. How he went about it is really the issue. In a place of employment, there’s really no such thing as freedom of expression, freedom of speech, etc. Companies have Code of Conduct and other policies for a reason. Whether it’s the NFL or Walmart, you can’t dress however you want and hide behind “freedom of expression” for example. Nor use the workplace as a political platform. Employers have every right to fire people who do (workers are protected by EEOC rights, not constitutional rights). 

Kap might've been more effective if he organized public rallies or maybe gone on the cable news or talk show circuit (celebs do it all the time). The mistake he made was “bringing it into the workplace”, which is a no no. Being a celebrity athlete may be different than a Walmart door greeter, but not when it comes to employment law. The NFL is just another U.S. corporation, and Kap was an employee. If he violated a corporate policy, they don’t have to hire him if they don’t want to. This isn't a polemic, it's just the way it is (I'm only calling balls and strikes – don't kill the messenger).

(Sure, he also angered the right wing by “disrespecting the flag”, but that’s a separate thing).

That said, I’ve never heard anything about Kap being a problem in the locker room. Has that been reported?

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Kaepernick was denouncing and dehumanizing police officers within weeks of the ambush and murder of five police officers in Dallas. Maybe some think that was fine, but maybe others think it was not. 

17 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Kaepernick was denouncing and dehumanizing police officers within weeks of the ambush and murder of five police officers in Dallas. Maybe some think that was fine, but maybe others think it was not. 

Yeah. Again, it's how he went about it. Voice a legitimately important message, then find a way to drown it out  in the noise of unnecessary, self-inflicted controversy. The guy's judgment just seems to be seriously clouded

PS: If the Lions has waited a few days, they could have rehired Scott Linehan. Schefter reports he is out in Dallas. 

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

i think kapernick has been blacklisted.  otoh, i dont know how much he is asking for.  he could be asking for starter money, which no team is going to give him.  if so, that could be a plausible reason why no one has signed him.

If I'm remembering correctly, the first season he wasn't signed, he was not only asking for starter money, but a starting job.  I remember there being at least a few opportunities he turned down because he was either going to be competing for the job or coming in as a backup.  So there is a lot more than just the views he expressed.  

If kapernick showed up to practice with Trump socks on along with a fresh new MAGA hat he would be in the same spot today. On his couch. No one on his team would want him in the locker room. Because of those views... It goes both ways.

Putting that all aside... his contract demands, diminishing talent and attitude is why he's not playing today. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yep, because that's EXACTLY what I said.  I totally went out and said: What Kap said is the same as vitriol by the most outrageous of Trump tweets.  I'm mean that's like LITERALLY a direct quote of what I said. 🙄

Does everyone agree that if all of the behavior with Kap were the exact same except that he was playing at a Drew Brees or Pat Mahomes level when he started his protest, he’d still be playing in the league today?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Yep, because that's EXACTLY what I said.  I totally went out and said: What Kap said is the same as vitriol by the most outrageous of Trump tweets.  I'm mean that's like LITERALLY a direct quote of what I said. 🙄

What did you say?  I frankly didn't understand your point.

You made an analogy.  Please explain it.

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Does everyone agree that if all of the behavior with Kap were the exact same except that he was playing at a Drew Brees or Pat Mahomes level when he started his protest, he’d still be playing in the league today?  

yes.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This is correct

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

What did you say?  I frankly didn't understand your point.

You made an analogy.  Please explain it.

Motown Bombers completely understood the point and explained it beautifully.  You said that:

"The man has views and isn't afraid to voice them.  That is his 'baggage'."

I replied that that this was like saying people didn't like Trump because he posts on twitter a lot.  Rather than re-invent the wheel I'll just quote Bombers:

"The point, as I see it, is that Trump isn't hated because he tweets. He's hated because of what he tweets about. Kapernick isn't out of the league because he expressed his views, it is the views he expressed. Simply saying Kapernick is not liked because he expressed his views, isn't accurate."

At which point you jumped to the conclusion that I was likening Trumps most vile comments to be on par with Kap, which obviously I wasn't.  I wasn't comparing the comments at all, but rather the false idea that merely expressing an opinion is what got Kap into trouble.

Wait, what?

Expressing his opinion is precisely what got Kaepernick in trouble.  Just like Trump expressing his opinions on twitter irritates people.

22 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Of course.  He isn't nearly good enough to be worth putting up with the baggage he would bring with him.  A lot of great talents, in many occupations, are ***holes and are tolerated because of their talent.  But there is no good reason to put up with a troublemaker like Kaepernick who doesn't have the pros to outweigh his cons.  

Again, he is a troublemaker how?

The funny thing is I don't have a dog in the fight.  

Don't really care about him, don't care about cops at large.  By that, I mean, while I believe they have a difficult job, I also believe they are given the benefit of the doubt / blind support by society more than I personally am comfortable with.

Ultimately, I feel the outrage over Kaepernick was, and is, grossly out of proportion with the transgression, as it were.  Beyond that, the subject holds no interest for me.