Jump to content

Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

 I still want Shane Waldron though from the Rams.

I think I've seen his name mentioned with the Bengals too?  I'm all for someone from the Rams' staff if they are forward thinking like McVay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bengals just hired LA Rams QB Coach Zac Taylor to be there next Head Coach so strike Taylor from the list of OC candidates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The Bengals just hired LA Rams QB Coach Zac Taylor to be there next Head Coach so strike Taylor from the list of OC candidates.

Welp maybe he brings his buddy Waldron along...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hackett is interviewing in Green Bay today

 

edit: And Sark is going to get hired by Arizona apparently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sagnam said:

One is a total and the other is an average though.  Seems like there would be a total and per game for both offense and team.

I didn't look at the actual stats, so my take was just a guess at the possible reason for the difference.  Every team plays the same number of regular season games, so the rankings in Total Points and Average Points Per Game should be the same unless some points are included in one category and not the other.  Some points, obviously, can result from kickoff and punt returns and from scores by the defense, so if either or both of those types of scores are included in one category but not the other, the Total Points and Average Points Per Game won't be in sync.

Also, if playoff games are included, a team could raise its Total Points ranking over teams that played fewer games (i.e., didn't make the playoffs or didn't go as far into them) but not get the same or any bump in Average Points Per Game.

I suppose it's possible (though it seems unlikely to me) that points scored in Overtime could be treated differently, too, just as some baseball stats are calculated on a Per-Nine-Inning basis rather than a Per-Game  one.

Or maybe the numbers are crunched by the same guy who decided that Matt Stafford was worth being made the highest-paid player in the NFL, and they're simply wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lions are set to interview Todd Monken, recently fired OC in Tampa Bay. According to Football Outsiders Tampa Bay's total offensive efficiency ranked 13th in the league, 9th in passing and 23rd in rushing. They ranked 12th in the league in total points.

A poster over at Pride of Detroit pointed out that the Bucs lost games this year where they scored 35, 34, 32, 29, 28, and 27 points. It seems pretty hard to ask the offense to do a lot more than that. If you score 32-33-34-35 points and still consistently lose that means your defense is atrocious. Monken also gets some credit for making the best of a bad situation with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jameis Winston as his starting QB's. Now, I'm no Stafford fan, but his career norm is certainly markedly better than Fitzmagic and King Crab Legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Monken better than those other guys.  TB problems centered around a moron GM that drafted Winston and won’t ever admit that he’s not a franchise QB.  He kept Koetter on too long even though he’s proven for the past 25 years that he’s a good OC and a horrendous Head Coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Apparently the Lions interviewed Todd Haley for the OC job. 👎😩😕

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Apparently the Lions interviewed Todd Haley for the OC job. 👎😩😕

Do you have a source. It is not that I am questioning you. I just can't find it anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Do you have a source. It is not that I am questioning you. I just can't find it anywhere.

It was floating around in a Lions group on Facebook. I'll see if I can find the link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah.. cost to much in more ways than one. If they were to go in that direction, might as well go after AB, would make more sense. 

Lions have a good back in KJ. Wouldn't mind if they took a RB in the 4th or 5th round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JAYB said:

Nah.. cost to much in more ways than one. If they were to go in that direction, might as well go after AB, would make more sense. 

Lions have a good back in KJ. Wouldn't mind if they took a RB in the 4th or 5th round. 

Hunt won't cost you much at all. His contract won't be a big one as this is a second chance, prove it deal. Additionally, Brown will cost you a slew of draft capital and/or a player the organization values highly. Hunt is a scumbag for doing what he did to that women. While he didn't go full on Ray Rice, he still put his hands on a women, which is highly unacceptable. However, people still deserve second chances and there was never a criminal charge filed against him.

Honestly, at this point, I would give Hunt a second chance and go after him via free agency. If he so much as screws up in any fashion you just cut him and move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

While he didn't go full on Ray Rice, he still put his hands on a women, which is highly unacceptable. However, people still deserve second chances and there was never a criminal charge filed against him.

FWIW, he was cut for lying to the team about the altercation, which is probably more concerning to teams sadly.

I wouldn't want him.  I thought KJ looked good enough last year that the on field positives of adding another runner to share the workload with KJ don't outweigh the negatives of the off the field baggage in my opinion.  And to the first sentence of my post, I'm guessing some teams may be worried about being able to trust Hunt's word if a future incident happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelton said:

In before Buddha says “yes”

yes...wait, dammit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lions lack speed on offense. Would love to see them find a guy with similar traits as Tyreek Hill. Are there any WRs in this draft that fits that mold?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Hunt won't cost you much at all. His contract won't be a big one as this is a second chance, prove it deal. Additionally, Brown will cost you a slew of draft capital and/or a player the organization values highly. Hunt is a scumbag for doing what he did to that women. While he didn't go full on Ray Rice, he still put his hands on a women, which is highly unacceptable. However, people still deserve second chances and there was never a criminal charge filed against him.

Honestly, at this point, I would give Hunt a second chance and go after him via free agency. If he so much as screws up in any fashion you just cut him and move on.

This. Hunt is a top flight RB. As in top 5 RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JAYB said:

Lions lack speed on offense. Would love to see them find a guy with similar traits as Tyreek Hill. Are there any WRs in this draft that fits that mold?

I'd love to find Jerry Rice, Dion Sanders, and Jason Hanson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 1:40 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Players re-signed: LeGarrette Blount/RB, Zach Zenner/RB, Nick Bellore/FB, TJ Jomes/WR, Levine Toilolo/TE, Kerry Hyder/DE, Romeo Okawara/DE, Kelvin Sheppard/LB, Marcus Cooper/CB-Special Teams, Charles Washington/S-Special Teams, Don Muhlbach/LS

Players cut/not re-signed: Glover Quin/S (cut), T.J. Lang/OG (cut), Matt Cassel/QB (cut)

Bruce Ellington/WR, Luke Wilson/TE, Andrew Donnal/OT, Leo Koloamatangi/OT, Ziggy Ansah/DE, Steve Longa/LB, DeShawn Shead/CB

 

I disagree on Blount.  I don't think he provided much this season.  I think he was out played by Zenner.  That's not that I think Zenner should be a feature back, but if Zenner can out play you, then I don't think you're very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

FWIW, he was cut for lying to the team about the altercation, which is probably more concerning to teams sadly.

I dunno that I completely agree with that.  Obviously there's a bunch of shades of grey that need to get sorted out, but if one were to assume that the altercation was a hot headed moment, but the guy shows real contrition for it and has taken steps to respond to it, improve himself, and owns up to it... I'd be more willing to say it was a one time mistake and let's give him another chance.

But if he he lies about the altercation after the fact, that's not a hot headed moment.  That's thinking about after the fact and either not thinking he's guilty of something or thinks he can get away with it because he's above the 'law.'  It's a hot headed moment followed by poor judgement and reasoning skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

listen, if you have a coach that was accused of sexual assault, you have used up your assault quota. It’s in the rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JAYB said:

Lions lack speed on offense. Would love to see them find a guy with similar traits as Tyreek Hill. Are there any WRs in this draft that fits that mold?

Guys who punch pregnant girlfriends?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×