Jump to content

Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

Recommended Posts

the game is stopped too much for penalties and reviews as it is.  the last thing they need is more officials and more reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but it’s going to happen one way or another. Just don’t let it be a system where a team on defense can throw the flag to look for holding when the offense converts a third down pass in the two minute drill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buddha said:

when is the last time you've seen that done in the nfl?  or a playoff game?  where they made the call and then went back and reversed it after announcing it?

even saying it happens "rarely" is too much.  

I don’t know, man. I don’t watch all the games. Can we just move past arguing about the correct term to use here? I’m happy to just concede this point to you. You win. It can be rare or highly uncommon or whatever you want it to be.

Can we at least agree that refs are permitted to conference and change a call?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit, I’m curious now how often it happens. Here are a couple instances where it happened to the Vikings this season.

https://www.newsweek.com/refs-pick-crucial-flag-illegal-block-vikings-seahawks-mnf-game-1252954

http://m.startribune.com/clock-management-picked-up-flag-among-key-questions-after-vikings-loss/494579291/

and the lions this season, too. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/11/22/detroit-lions-burned-officials-picking-up-another-flag/2089367002/

it happened in the panthers-giants game this year, too. 

So, whatever. It happens sometimes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I admit, I’m curious now how often it happens. Here are a couple instances where it happened to the Vikings this season.

https://www.newsweek.com/refs-pick-crucial-flag-illegal-block-vikings-seahawks-mnf-game-1252954

http://m.startribune.com/clock-management-picked-up-flag-among-key-questions-after-vikings-loss/494579291/

and the lions this season, too. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/11/22/detroit-lions-burned-officials-picking-up-another-flag/2089367002/

it happened in the panthers-giants game this year, too. 

So, whatever. It happens sometimes. 

that's 4 out of about 3000 penalties.  seems like a regular occurrence to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

that's 4 out of about 3000 penalties.  seems like a regular occurrence to me.

What’s up, dude?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to step into this minefield, but the head official actually announced the penalty before they huddled and changed it to not a penalty.  I don’t think that happens very often at all.  I feel safe saying it basically never happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sagnam said:

Not to step into this minefield, but the head official actually announced the penalty before they huddled and changed it to not a penalty.  I don’t think that happens very often at all.  I feel safe saying it basically never happens.

Yes, I mentioned that in my post that kicked off this ridiculous argument. 

I agree that announcing a penalty before the ref huddle, and then changing the penalty to a no call, basically never happens. I don’t think the error in announcing it before confirming it makes the call somehow worse than what we we saw in the NFC championship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if you were to challenge a penalty it would have to be done differently than standard review.  I don't think you should be able to watch it in slow mo because on virtually every play you could call a penalty if you look at it in slow motion, I think you should have to watch it from one angle in real time and decide on that viewing whether a flag should be thrown, this way only the most obvious miss calls will be changed.  

BTW I been seeing alot of people saying the Saints got hosed well as a Lions fan I always been told that good teams over come bad calls, atleast that's what people tell Lions fans so maybe they should've overcome that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think if you were to challenge a penalty it would have to be done differently than standard review.  I don't think you should be able to watch it in slow mo because on virtually every play you could call a penalty if you look at it in slow motion, I think you should have to watch it from one angle in real time and decide on that viewing whether a flag should be thrown, this way only the most obvious miss calls will be changed.  

I think this would be a good scheme for all reviews. Obviously the league won't do it because the network would still run the slo-mo and the call might be shown to be wrong. You just know this is what they would worry about, but I think they would be wrong. As long as the fans see what the ref is shown and see that it's not persuasive to change the ruling on the field, I think fans would accept it for the sake of moving the game along. The fact is - fans still don't agree with reviews even after seeing the super high res slo-mo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 5:10 PM, Shelton said:

Yeah, just make everything that can be called reviewable. I don’t really see the problem. If they can spend 5 minutes figuring out if something was a catch they can spend five minutes figuring out if there was holding or pass interference. 

But they've spent 5 years trying to figure out the catch rule. : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 7:07 PM, Buddha said:

the game is stopped too much for penalties and reviews as it is.  the last thing they need is more officials and more reviews.

Make the officials strictly employees of the NFL. No more of it being a part time job.

As for reviewing plays not called penalties? Every single game changing play would be reviewed, I guarantee it. Game winning TD!! Wait, a coach review to see if there was holding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 2:01 AM, sagnam said:

Not to step into this minefield, but the head official actually announced the penalty before they huddled and changed it to not a penalty.  I don’t think that happens very often at all.  I feel safe saying it basically never happens.

I see a flag thrown and then a meeting to see who the penalty is on.  Usually a false start/off side question. 

But a flag and then the penalty being announced,  only to have an officials meeting with the flag being pick up is very rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allowing challenges to penalties, is a bad idea. It will slow the game down and a lot of the penalties are grey areas. It will lead to more debate and murkier calls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Allowing challenges to penalties, is a bad idea. It will slow the game down and a lot of the penalties are grey areas. It will lead to more debate and murkier calls. 

The game is already slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don’t think adding penalties to the things you can review would be a problem. I do think maybe they would want to limit it to some types of penalties. But with the current standard of deferring to the ruling on the field, I don’t think you’ll see a flood of challenges. It’s pretty risky to challenge a call or lack of a call when there is enough of a gray area to make indisputable evidence hard to find. 

PI calls or defensive holding on an intended receiver seem like an easy thing to add to reviews. Roughing the passer or helmet to helmet types things could be easy, too. 

I can see not reviewing holding calls or blocks in the back. That would seem like the type of thing that could be abused as a way to try erasing a long play that happened. But I think it would be ok to review those if they were called and it turns out there wasn’t a hold or a block in the back or whatever. 

But if it is just another thing you can use your three challenges for, I don’t think it will have too much of an effect. 

Plus, with the way tv timeouts are built into the game, more reviews just means fewer of those touchdown, commercial, kickoff, commercial series that occur when there have not been enough commercials yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you review Dez Bryant running onto the field of play, without his helmet, getting in the face of the official and screaming at him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Can you review Dez Bryant running onto the field of play, without his helmet, getting in the face of the official and screaming at him?

I love how lions fan gets bent out of shape about this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I love how lions fan gets bent out of shape about this. 

If we are going to allow reviews on penalties shouldn't that have been a review for unsportsmanlike conduct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My feel is that the Saints should reap what they sow, since they played their last possession terribly. They should have run the ball. Make the Rams call timeout. Run the clock, and finish the game with a kick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If we are going to allow reviews on penalties shouldn't that have been a review for unsportsmanlike conduct?

Whatever you want, dude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got a Bleacher Report notice that we cut Glover.  Looks like Tracey Walker is going to be our guy.  I thought he looked pretty good when given an opportunity to play.  Might need to address in the draft or free agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 2:10 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If we are going to allow reviews on penalties shouldn't that have been a review for unsportsmanlike conduct?

Bryant will get his punishment when he is denied the Lady Byng trophy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, barryycomeback said:

Just got a Bleacher Report notice that we cut Glover.  Looks like Tracey Walker is going to be our guy.  I thought he looked pretty good when given an opportunity to play.  Might need to address in the draft or free agency.

I think they feel comfortable with Walker as their guy moving forward and wanted to save cap space. Let the Teez Tabor countdown to cut clock begin now . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×