Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Offseason + Free Agency Thread

So given that our lowly *** Lions are out of the playoffs officially now, it's time to start discussing the 2019 Offseason. With 4 picks in the first 3 rounds this should be an intriguing draft from Bob Quinn and co. We potentially have the opportunity to select 3-4 starters for next year in this draft. We also have a ton of cap space to play with and you'd like to think we'll end up with more than plug and play, low-level starters and bench players. It will also be time to start looking for a new Offensive Coordinator, I would presume. 

15 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So given that our lowly *** Lions are out of the playoffs officially now, it's time to start discussing the 2019 Offseason. With 4 picks in the first 3 rounds this should be an intriguing draft from Bob Quinn and co. We potentially have the opportunity to select 3-4 starters for next year in this draft. We also have a ton of cap space to play with and you'd like to think we'll end up with more than plug and play, low-level starters and bench players. It will also be time to start looking for a new Offensive Coordinator, I would presume. 

lions have 3 picks in the first 3 rounds.  we traded this year's third rounder to the pats last year when they traded up to get hand.

first round

second round

eagles third round pick

fourth round

lions have the 49ers fifth rounder, but have promised it OR their pick (whichever is the better pick) to the giants for harrison.  either way, they will have one fifth round pick.

two sixth round picks (ours and the pats' pick for bademosi trade)

two seventh round picks (ours and the dolphins for the spence trade)

38 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

It looks like mocks are hitting CB/S pretty hard in the first couple rounds for the Lions.

linebacker is just as probable, but cb is such a weakness for this team.  even more than DE imo.

gimmie Clowny and landon collins and bring back suh for a year 

Draft all D.

Wait for a few WR TO get cut and pick them up for a song.

9 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

It looks like mocks are hitting CB/S pretty hard in the first couple rounds for the Lions.

They need passrushers and defenders at any position who can cover in space. If that coverage help comes from linebackers, safties, corners I don't care.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

The greatest need is on the DL. But nothing surprises me anymore. ****, they may go WR, more weapons for Joey.

29 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Is there an area of the draft that is strong this year? These days I'm not sure where to go for good draft analysis.  

From the analysis/reports/mocks I've read defensive line seems to be deep in this years draft. 

It also seems, while maybe lacking on blue-chip talent, that there are a number of solid cornerbacks and wide receivers available.

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

linebacker is just as probable, but cb is such a weakness for this team.  even more than DE imo.

You like to be wrong.  I don't think they'll make any changes to LB.  They need a corner, but we'll see what is available.  DE is a bigger need imo.  They are currently drafting 7th, and are still in play for #1 pick, although that is a stretch.

7 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

You like to be wrong.  I don't think they'll make any changes to LB.  They need a corner, but we'll see what is available.  DE is a bigger need imo.  They are currently drafting 7th, and are still in play for #1 pick, although that is a stretch.

i dont like to be wrong, but i am a lot.

what's your excuse?

On 12/17/2018 at 9:41 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It also seems, while maybe lacking on blue-chip talent, that there are a number of solid cornerbacks and wide receivers available.

Titus Young just became available

2 hours ago, number20 said:

Titus Young just became available

The out poor guy needs treatment, not jail time. I remember when he said he would end up being better than Calvin Johnson.

On 12/17/2018 at 1:07 PM, Buddha said:

When they don't bring back Ziggy and still have Slay on the roster, I see an edge rusher/end as being a bigger need than a corner. That said, if they want BPA with their pick at either position, I wouldn't complain. I'd rather have Nick Bosa than Greedy Williams, but there is a big need for a player like Williams.

32 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

When they don't bring back Ziggy and still have Slay on the roster, I see an edge rusher/end as being a bigger need than a corner. That said, if they want BPA with their pick at either position, I wouldn't complain. I'd rather have Nick Bosa than Greedy Williams, but there is a big need for a player like Williams.

they have so many weaknesses on defense.

edge rusher is likely to come from a linebacker, like chandler jones or rob ninkovich was in new england.  someone to replace or augment their big free agent devon kennard who was - surprise! - the same average player he was with the giants even with the tutelage of the great matt patricia.

we'd all love nick bosa but i doubt he will be there when they pick.

herbert decides to stay in school which hurts the lions.  one less qb for qb starved teams.

oh, and herbert is an idiot.

Yeah I don't get the Herbert decision, more power to him for wanting to go back to school but next years QB class is likely going to be alot more competitive than this year so even if he doesn't get injured he's likely not going to be in a better position than he would be now.   

Good decision from a football standpoint. He’s more talent and potential than polish at this point. He will also get a chance to play with his little brother who is a incoming freshman.   I’m sure he also sees himself leading the Ducks to that first national championship but that definitely won’t be happening   

As stated from others above, Not a good decision from a financial position even if Oregon’s behind the scenes network is taking care of his family above and beyond.  Never a good idea to play football for free when someone else is willing to guarantee you multiple millions to do it. 

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

Right now we're slated to pick 5th.  If I understand this right we could possibly move up to 2nd with a loss and SF, Oak and NYJ.  Of course they are playing at LAR, KC and NE respectively so that's probably not going to happen but if it were I think we would pass them because our strength of schedule would be lower than theirs.  

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

Right now we're slated to pick 5th.  If I understand this right we could possibly move up to 2nd with a loss and SF, Oak and NYJ.  Of course they are playing at LAR, KC and NE respectively so that's probably not going to happen but if it were I think we would pass them because our strength of schedule would be lower than theirs.  

it will be great when we beat the pack and drop to 10th.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:00 AM, cruzer1 said:

I feel the organization probably agrees with you. But I disagree, the lions really could use a LB who can cover. Mixing and matching and bringing in extra DBs instead of Lbs really hurts the run defense. 

Ideally this LB could also provide a bit of a pass rush. The best coverage LB the Lions gave is JRM.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:56 PM, kgeorge78 said:

gimmie Clowny and landon collins and bring back suh for a year 

Draft all D.

Wait for a few WR TO get cut and pick them up for a song.

Clowny will likely cost a fortune. He also Generally misses a lot of time due to injury this year is the exception to his career so far. I’ve had enough of the Ansah situation, and this is a more expensive option.

Avilability is an ability. I’d rather have a inferior play who can generally be counted on and is less expensive.

Suh has made comments that he did not like the Lions organization. So he isn’t coming back to Detroit. Lions also do not have a pressing need for a DT. Funds would better be allocated to Edge rushers, secondary and a coverage LB. 

13 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I feel the organization probably agrees with you. But I disagree, the lions really could use a LB who can cover. Mixing and matching and bringing in extra DBs instead of Lbs really hurts the run defense. 

Ideally this LB could also provide a bit of a pass rush. The best coverage LB the Lions gave is JRM.

Most LB's in the NFL can't cover, that's why they're a dying breed.  Teams like bringing in extra DB's for a reason.  Just get LB's to do simple stuff, and don't make it too complicated.