six-hopper

Jordy Mercer?

7 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Could Mr. Brandon Inge handle the Utility man/3rd catcher duties at age 41?

Of course he could.  He might have to shrug the sky off of his shoulders to do it.  But maybe not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

But we do need a couple more white guys for the suburban moms to get excited about after we cut McCann and Wilson because their leadership was too high. 

They also have to replace Adduci...Who am I kidding? You can't replace Deuce.  A guy like Mercer could fill the McCann role though.  Don't bet against Brandon Dixon either.  He might be a bit edgy for the suburban moms, but he's got the name and the look and you know some of those women secretly have a wild side.  

The Tigers are a strict meritocracy.  What nonwhite player could even come close to the quality of any of those five studs?

For proof of the club's commitment to excellence without regard to ethnicity, you need look no further than its employment of Al Avila.  The Tigers have him, a Hispanic gentleman, in the lofty position of General Manager, because he is simply the best in the business.

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

Have the tigers added anyone to the team this offseason that isn’t white?

Tyson Ross is black.  Actually mixed.  His father is black and his mother is white.  

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

Have the tigers added anyone to the team this offseason that isn’t white?

I know that it does....but I hate that it even matters.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Tyson Ross is black.  Actually mixed.  His father is black and his mother is white.  

Oh my god I think i had him mistaken with tanyon sturtz. 

19 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Well at least the leadership void is filled.

Tigers sign Jordy Mercer, expect him to provide stability, leadership

Now he has permission to yell at Greiner when he doesn't hustle.  

Looking at the folks who are being signed, Iwonder if we will pick p someone from the California Penal  Correctional League. Or maybe Willie Mays Hayes as a walk-on?

When a team acquires a new player and they talk about his consistency and leadership, that usually means he is lacking in talent.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

When a team acquires a new player and they talk about his consistency and leadership, that usually means he is lacking in talent.  

Jordy wil provide stability only because there is no one else expected to play shortstop.

Hopefully the Tigers will have stability at first base this year.

Hopefully the Tigers will have a sufficient group of humanoids who can maintain a relatively consistent metabolic rate throughout the season.  That's starting to sound like a best-case scenario.

• Like 1

What I want to know is whether or not Mercer will provide grit. That's what's important. 

If someone wants to juice up this year and have themselves a Brady Anderson outlier year, I'm all for it. 

18 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

Looking at the folks who are being signed, Iwonder if we will pick p someone from the California Penal  Correctional League. Or maybe Willie Mays Hayes as a walk-on?

There will never be another Gates Brown. The man was a gem.

3 hours ago, Walewander said:

If someone wants to juice up this year and have themselves a Brady Anderson outlier year, I'm all for it. 

Just as long as they don't strike out a lot. 

• Like 1

So this whole discussion  has  finally jogged my memory about of a long piece I read in the Minneapolis paper when Gardenhire was there and he was talking about - you guessed it - Nick Punto.  What he was talking about in terms of what they had worked hard with Punto on was becoming a tougher out, which is a little different than just a focus on Ks or trying to make a guy a better hitter, which is frankly almost never possible once a guy has been at it long enough to reach the ML. (You get a few guys like JD who actually have more talent than they have learned how to use, but they are rare exceptions). It was mostly about not trying to be a player you will never be, taking pitches, putting the ball in play with a man on third - the same complaints he has about this this team's inadequacies. I don't remember that it was particularly focused only on Ks. The idea was there were things that are a matter of commitment and discipline that you can do whatever hitting talent you have that can still make you a tougher out. If Gardenhire is thinking about the range of things he was concerned about in MN,  I have no argument with it. 

• Like 1

I have a client who is good friends with a guy who "used to play baseball". Upon further questioning, he dropped the name Nick Punto. 

6 hours ago, Yoda said:

I have a client who is good friends with a guy who "used to play baseball". Upon further questioning, he dropped the name Nick Punto. 

Whew!   At least it's someone that played the game the right way.