Jump to content

six-hopper

Harold Baines is in the Hall of Fame?

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, DTroppens said:

I've never thought about going to it. If I ever ended up in the area, I'd go, but that's been my mentality about trips to it. Maybe if we end up taking a trip in that direction, I'll make more of a point to go a tiny bit out of our way to check it out.

 

4 minutes ago, DTroppens said:

It sounds like it's a better place to go than I would've guessed.

Its literally smack dab in the middle of small town America.  I found allure in that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I agree.  I was surprised how uninterested I was in that room versus the rest of the hall.  Maybe it was that that room overpromised and underdelivered and the rest of the place I just didn't realize how much other intriguing stuff there would be, I don't know.

 

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I agree.  I was surprised how uninterested I was in that room versus the rest of the hall.  Maybe it was that that room overpromised and underdelivered and the rest of the place I just didn't realize how much other intriguing stuff there would be, I don't know.

More interesting than the members of the Hall of Fame is the Hall of Stats (hallofstats.com), which uses an objective (or at least a lot more objective than the HOF system) mathematical formula to determine worthiness.  It has a list of the top 228 players under the formula (the number of players in the Hall of Fame).  Not surprisingly, Jack Morris, Harold Baines, Tony Perez, Rick Ferrell,  and quite a few other unworthies who've made the cut for Cooperstown are not on it.  

Lou Whitaker, by the way, is Number 76 on the Hall of Stats roster -- in the top third of the 228 players on the list..   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't mean anything, but how the **** does anyone come up with Harold Baines?

With Morris we had the 'best pitcher of the 80's' myth to explain it.

Whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Casimir said:

 

Its literally smack dab in the middle of small town America.  I found allure in that.

It's a great small town with no franchise stores or restaurants.  Lots of mom and pop establishments with baseball themes.   Not too expensive if you go off-season after Labor Day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shelton said:

Does it, though?

I don’t believe that the voting bodies are going to start making different decisions just because Baines is in the hall of fame. He’s not the first outlier and he won’t be the last. 

At least I got you talking about the Hall of Fame!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baines catching a lot of flack, and deservedly so, but Lee Smith is a garbage selection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Baines catching a lot of flack, and deservedly so, but Lee Smith is a garbage selection.

I agree, but Smith is a reliever and there has long been disagreement about what to do with relievers with respect to the Hall of Fame.  So, it didn't surprise me.  Baines was just a bizarre choice that came out of nowhere.  How do you justify it even as a traditionalist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I agree, but Smith is a reliever and there has long been disagreement about what to do with relievers with respect to the Hall of Fame.  So, it didn't surprise me.  Baines was just a bizarre choice that came out of nowhere.  How do you justify it even as a traditionalist?

I guess Baines was very well liked by other players. I remember Kaline always talked about liking him as a player - that cliche of 'a baseball player's player' kind of thing. I guess you get lucky - the planets all align -  and that is all you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked Baines too and he was good.  He is just not Hall of Fame worthy no matter how anyone tries to spin it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 6:22 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It doesn't mean anything, but how the **** does anyone come up with Harold Baines?

With Morris we had the 'best pitcher of the 80's' myth to explain it.

Whatever.

Because Tony LaRussa said so.  He played and managed the game, damn't.

WWTLRD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2018 at 12:31 PM, tiger337 said:

I agree, but Smith is a reliever and there has long been disagreement about what to do with relievers with respect to the Hall of Fame.  So, it didn't surprise me.  Baines was just a bizarre choice that came out of nowhere.  How do you justify it even as a traditionalist?

You have to take a look at how he got in, who voted him in. It's purely a popularity contest. Like, " He's my buddy, I'll vote for him" sort of thing over any credible reason or stats that make him deserving of the honor.  But is getting into a watered down hall of fame the honor it once was? Credibility is fading fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that we established a low threshold, what about Magglio Ordonez? He has the same 38.7 career WAR as Baines in about 1,000 fewer games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how you keep mattingly out of the hall now. Or Steve Garvey. Heck, let's put Ken Oberkfell in now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said that about Mattingly when Rice went in.  They are the same player.  Neither belongs, although both are better than Baines.   Garvey is a good comparison for Baines.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, Sports_Freak said:

You have to take a look at how he got in, who voted him in. It's purely a popularity contest. Like, " He's my buddy, I'll vote for him" sort of thing over any credible reason or stats that make him deserving of the honor.  But is getting into a watered down hall of fame the honor it once was? Credibility is fading fast.

That credibility was lost long ago.

The hall has been putting in marginal candidates while leaving far more deserving ones out since the 1940s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Hall of fame talk ends tomorrow, yes?

No, Need to start campaigning for Sweet Lou tomorrow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

No, Need to start campaigning for Sweet Lou tomorrow.  

No need. I was told earlier that if Baines is in then basically everyone is deserving of being in, so Sweet Lou is a lock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×