six-hopper

Harold Baines is in the Hall of Fame?

And Edgar Martinez isn't?

Baines isn't even close to being a Hall-of-Fame-caliiber guy.  The Clown Show of Cooperstown continues its Krapfest.

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

Baines isn't even close to being a Hall-of-Fame-caliiber guy.  The Clown Show of Cooperstown continues its Krapfest.

Harold Baines should be in the hall of very good.

1 hour ago, DTroppens said:

Nope, it's the HOF of good players now. And good players that people like.

I don't think that's quite true.  It is still hard to get into the HoF, but there are occasional screwups, same as always.  The Veterans Committee sometimes makes some really bad choices and this was one of them, but I don't think the HoF process is any worse than it has been historically.  

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I don't think that's quite true.  It is still hard to get into the HoF, but there are occasional screwups, same as always.  The Veterans Committee sometimes makes some really bad choices and this was one of them, but I don't think the HoF process is any worse than it has been historically.  

Baines qualifies. I'm not trying to bash his career, but he's not HoF worthy. But I have a few friends who are Sox fans from my Morris, IL days, so I feel happy for them. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

9 minutes ago, DTroppens said:

Baines qualifies. I'm not trying to bash his career, but he's not HoF worthy. But I have a few friends who are Sox fans from my Morris, IL days, so I feel happy for them. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I liked Baines.  However, I think he's now one of the worst position players in the HoF and the absolute worst to be inducted in a long time.  He reminds me of the Frankie Frisch class of inductees.  There are always some players on the fringes that we debate forever, but Baines is someone who wasn't even on my radar.  I can't see any justification for him at all.    

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Martinez will make it this year.

Baines was a terrible choice.  

And it stinks because I don't like crapping on Baines. Very fine player.  A qualty player. DD would have loved him he's that quality.  But that's it.  Quality.  Not great.  He had longevity.  The question is should longevity be factored in?  What if he played 5 years less but had a couple of standout years?  

But yeah.... he wasn't even on my list.  Makes me wonder what else will happen.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I liked Baines.  However, I think he's now one of the worst position players in the HoF and the absolute worst to be inducted in a long time.  He reminds me of the Frankie Frisch class of inductees.  There are always some players on the fringes that we debate forever, but Baines is someone who wasn't even on my radar.  I can't see any justification for him at all.    

Maybe if I followed this stuff closer I would've realized this was a possibility, but it wasn't on my radar at all either. If you told me to list 50 players worthy of the HOF from 1970 and on who is eligible and qualifies (in terms of years out of baseball, not all the other stuff), I wonder if I would've even thought about writing his name down. I'm guessing probably not. But I won't need a stress test because of it.

On the bright side, maybe we all should start our campaign for Willie Horton. That was the name that came up in my mind when I saw Baines. I can see the White Sox doing something nice for him, maybe a statue like the Tigers did Horton. He's worthy enough for one. But beyond his primary franchise, people recognize him as a fine ball player who played a lot of years and primarily with one team during his prime, but that's about as far as it goes.

Yeah, this is a reasonable way of looking at it - what if I woke up this morning and heard Willie Horton was headed to the Hall of Fame. It's something not even on the radar.

Putting a good but not legendary baseball player in the hall of fame is harmless. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Putting a good but not legendary baseball player in the hall of fame is harmless. 

I've never been  at the HOF. Do they have wings where they have "other players" that maybe have some legend to them, or are just well known because of their connection to an organization or something like that? Is there a place you might see "The Bird?"

I really have no clue.

6 minutes ago, DTroppens said:

I've never been  at the HOF. Do they have wings where they have "other players" that maybe have some legend to them, or are just well known because of their connection to an organization or something like that? Is there a place you might see "The Bird?"

I really have no clue.

I don’t know. I’ve never been and I will never go. As far as I am concerned, the Harold baines page on bbref will have a new icon on it. 

14 hours ago, DTroppens said:

I really have no clue.

The hall was under renovation when I went (over, gosh, over 16 years ago?), but I think the official hall enshrinees & plaques are in one main wing and then there are various wings scattered about the rest of the premises with all sorts of other memorabilia and artifacts.  I found the rest of the hall much more entertaining than the enshrinee part of the hall.

19 hours ago, DTroppens said:

yes, In fact the room with all the plaques in it is probably the least interesting room.   I like the rooms where they show the history of the game highlighting the top teams and players of each decade.  I think you would like the Hall of Fame.  

19 hours ago, Shelton said:

It won't change anyone's trip to the Hall of Fame, but if you like talking about who does and doesn't belong, it does matter.  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

It won't change anyone's trip to the Hall of Fame, but if you like talking about who does and doesn't belong, it does matter.  

Shelton loves to talk about that.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Yes, anything matters if it is something you like talking about. 

That said, you are still free to talk about who you think does and doesn’t belong regardless of whether Baines goes in. 

18 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yes, anything matters if it is something you like talking about. 

That said, you are still free to talk about who you think does and doesn’t belong regardless of whether Baines goes in. 

But every time a player like Baines goes in, it clouds the definition of Hall of Famer.  

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

But every time a player like Baines goes in, it clouds the definition of Hall of Famer.  

Does it, though?

I don’t believe that the voting bodies are going to start making different decisions just because Baines is in the hall of fame. He’s not the first outlier and he won’t be the last. 

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

yes, In fact the room with all the plaques in it is probably the least interesting room.   I like the rooms where they show the history of the game highlighting the top teams and players of each decade.  I think you would like the Hall of Fame.  

I've never thought about going to it. If I ever ended up in the area, I'd go, but that's been my mentality about trips to it. Maybe if we end up taking a trip in that direction, I'll make more of a point to go a tiny bit out of our way to check it out.

6 hours ago, Casimir said:

The hall was under renovation when I went (over, gosh, over 16 years ago?), but I think the official hall enshrinees & plaques are in one main wing and then there are various wings scattered about the rest of the premises with all sorts of other memorabilia and artifacts.  I found the rest of the hall much more entertaining than the enshrinee part of the hall.

It sounds like it's a better place to go than I would've guessed.

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I agree.  I was surprised how uninterested I was in that room versus the rest of the hall.  Maybe it was that that room overpromised and underdelivered and the rest of the place I just didn't realize how much other intriguing stuff there would be, I don't know.