Sydney_Fife

Game 22: Pistons @ Bucks

Orlando won in Miami last night. They are 12-12. Heat 9-14 and going out west. Hopefully they are buried in the standings and don't make a charge like last year.

Bucks lead the league in 3 point makes. Pistons best in the NBA in defending the three percentage wise.

I've been pretty positive about the team this season but this game has an automatic L feel to it. Tough arena, tough matchup for the Pistons. Their length always bothers the Pistons.

The Bucks are not a good team.  One game over .500 in their last 15 games after a scorching hot start to the season.  Middleton was benched in their last game.  But having a stud like Giannis will give you a punchers chance against anyone.

I wanted to take a closer look at the Pistons 3PT defense.

This compares this season to last year (Filtered until Dec. 4th).  It shows how close a defender was to the three point attempt.  It then shows how often an opposing team attempted that shot.  Then the percentage they connected on those attempts.

kQAqkel.png

So they are allowing less wide open 6+ feet attempts.  In fact, it looks like they allow the third fewest in the league.  They were 8th last year so they were pretty good then too.  The difference seems to be teams are just flat out shooting worse right now.  31% this year vs 39% last year on shots from 6+ feet is fairly significant.  

EDIT: The same thing is basically happening in t he 4-6 range as well.  Slight uptick on the frequency they allow the shot this year.  But teams are shooting a much lower percent this year compared to last year.  

• Like 1

8:10 p.m. tip?  - Even if I miss a half-hour, I might just have to put this one on as soon as I get home.  Waiting for the replay at midnight so I can see the first the first quarter (if they don't jump ahead) can be a little silly. I'll risk it tonight. :)

4 minutes ago, DTroppens said:

8:10 p.m. tip?  - Even if I miss a half-hour, I might just have to put this one on as soon as I get home.  Waiting for the replay at midnight so I can see the first the first quarter (if they don't jump ahead) can be a little silly. I'll risk it tonight. :)

You should use the fsgo app, which allows you to start games from the beginning after the game has already started. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

You should use the fsgo app, which allows you to start games from the beginning after the game has already started. 

Thanks, but I'm way too lazy to learn how to use such technology. I don't even own my own personal cell phone, so I use it on a reasonably limited basis for personal reasons.

2 minutes ago, DTroppens said:

Thanks, but I'm way too lazy to learn how to use such technology. I don't even own my own personal cell phone, so I use it on a reasonably limited basis for personal reasons.

Fair enough, although as a sports fan I think you should reconsider you stance. For a nominal fee you could purchase a streaming box, which would give you access to these various apps, and all you have to do is sign in with your cable subscription info. I think you mentioned in another thread that you wanted to catch more soccer games too. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

Fair enough, although as a sports fan I think you should reconsider you stance. For a nominal fee you could purchase a streaming box, which would give you access to these various apps, and all you have to do is sign in with your cable subscription info. I think you mentioned in another thread that you wanted to catch more soccer games too

That's the catch 22. I "want" to see more action, but I really do see enough. The older I get the more I'm getting myself "unattached" to all this technology we had in our world. I'm not going to the Yukon to live off the grid any time soon or anything like that, but if I miss some stuff occasionally, I can deal with it.

Honestly, I can't believe how much soccer I watch, and I don't even have access to BeIn or try to watch games on the internet anymore (minus the occasional US men's qualifier that's not on a traditional cable TV station).

About technology - My radio in my car went kaput about five years ago. I could've easily replaced it, but without it I don't ever listen to sports talk radio any more. Unless the 97.1 FM lineup is the same as it was about three years ago, I can't even tell you who their radio personalities are. Not getting it replaced or fixed has been a pretty smart decision. Yeah, there are times I could be listening to the Pistons game or listening to the Lions on Thanksgiving while coming home from vacation, but not listening to all that other garbage that is spouted on sports talk radio is one of the huge benefits. If I want to talk sports, I'll come here.

I strayed a bit there. :)

6 hours ago, NYLion said:

I've been pretty positive about the team this season but this game has an automatic L feel to it. Tough arena, tough matchup for the Pistons. Their length always bothers the Pistons.

Yep. #1 Offensive and #6 defensive team in the league. A ton of length and athleticism - two things which really cause us fits. They're also a great home team (11-2) and we're an average road team (4-4).

I'm expecting a double digit loss.

Put anyone with size and effort against Dre and he just collapses. Such weak shots. 

As I suspected, automatic L. The script was already written before the game began.

No Middleton and the Pistons still getting dominated. Absolutely no threat on the perimeter for this team. It’s literally Blake, a little Reggie, and nothing. Drummond is nothing more than a rebounder. They desperately need a wing that can score. You’re wasting prime Griffin right now. Make another trade. 

Dre throws up the worst shots. He makes himself small every time he goes to the hoop. 

Patented Pistons sleep walk session to start the third. They’re getting blown out by a Bucks team without their second best player in Middleton. 

13-9. Really worried this is deja vu from last year. Strong start then a long losing streak. 

Awful performances from Jackson and Drummond. Just totally nonexistent. Griffin was the only guy who actually played tonight. Everyone else was pathetic. This was a very winnable game considering Middleton didn’t play and Giannis did nothing in the first half. 

Groin strain for Ish. So he and Bullock are hurt during the toughest stretch of the season. 

I have a real bad feeling about this stretch of games.