Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

Game 21: Thunder @ Pistons

There have been some teams that have put some defensive efforts on the Pistons this year that show what it takes to be a legit team and that takes a willingness to play defense with this type of intensity in November, January, March and into the playoffs. This is what it felt like when people watched Ben's teams play the Pistons. 

3 minutes ago, DTroppens said:

Anytime Drummond is faced with physical adversity he mentally falls apart to horrifying levels. He's just not a mentally strong player. Just think if he is your center in the playoffs. Just have someone get in his head by the end of the first quarter and he's toast for the rest of the series.

This. 

And the rest of the team isn’t far behind. Did you see how hard Reggie played on that last play before he sat down in the third? He can do it. Yea, Russ scored, but where is that level of effort all game from anyone on this team not named Blake? That’s how hard OKC has been playing consistently all game making it difficult for the Pistons. 

4 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

That was the Boston game all over again. Pistons on a hot streak and they get totally outclassed by an elite defense and a team that’s just better.

Posting the same thing but I'm pretty slow on a phone. :)

You’d like to see a strong fourth quarter here. Make OKC bring their starters back. Win the fourth quarter and carry over something positive to Wednesday. 

9 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

That was the Boston game all over again. Pistons on a hot streak and they get totally outclassed by an elite defense and a team that’s just better than us. 

13-8 through 21 games. We are at the quarter pole of the season. Will be interesting to see how bad Bullock’s ankle is. Pistons need to find a way to get some wins. This is a downright brutal 9 game stretch ahead of them. They’re home on the 23rd against the Hawks. Just gotta find a way to win a few before then. I hope this isn’t the start of a long losing skid to bring them back to brink of being out of the playoffs. 

Let's not overreact to one game. Every team has a clunker like this. 

We just need to keep expectations in check. They have one very good player, a good player and a lot of filler so there's going to be games when they are outclassed when one of their top 2 players is off.

Great teams will play defense for most of the season. It shows their desire and shows their mental strength. Let's see if the Pistons can look in the mirror and recognize what it takes to be actually be a respected team (a term that came up earlier today). If they don't they may have a decent regular season when only about five teams make defense their primary goal, but they will go nowhere in the playoffs. Defense is not easy and not the reason these guys are in the NBA, but the teams that are willing to embrace it are the most fun teams to watch play and are the teams that become the strongest physically and mentally by season's end.

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Let's not overreact to one game. Every team has a clunker like this. 

We just need to keep expectations in check. They have one very good player, a good player and a lot of filler so there's going to be games when they are outclassed when one of their top 2 players is off.

No overreaction there at all. 

Good time to play Kennard and Leuer. This team will need both of them at some point and neither has played much all year. Get Drummond and Jackson the **** out of there. Both had a bad night. 

27 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I wish Dre had half the brains and a quarter of the grit that Adams has. 

OKC has established that this is how they play D and the refs seem ok with it. Pushing, grabbing, fouling, it’s all good. They’re forcing us into bad possession after bad possession. 

The NBA can try to outlaw defense as much as they can. The teams serious about winning a title will figure out how to still dominate on defense regardless what the new rules are.

• Like 1

And we’re still chasing OKC through screens. The worst three point shooting team in the league and we won’t go under. Senseless. 

1 minute ago, DTroppens said:

The NBA can try to outlaw defense as much as they can. The teams serious about winning a title will figure out how to still dominate on defense.

Yep. Too bad Dumars overreacted and didn’t realize that. 

6 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

No overreaction there at all. 

I guess not now that I looked at your post again. It was in reference to the "I hope this isn't the start of a long losing streak" comment. It's just one really bad game when it boils down to it.

4 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I guess not now that I looked at your post again. It was in reference to the "I hope this isn't the start of a long losing streak" comment. It's just one really bad game when it boils down to it.

It is, but if you read the post you’d see I referenced the difficult schedule as my reasoning for pessimism surrounding the next 9 games. 

OKC is the second best team in the NBA in my opinion. Their the best defensive team now and Roberson hasn’t played yet. I think they will give the Warriors some difficulty. 

6 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Yep. Too bad Dumars overreacted and didn’t realize that. 

We can give him some of the blame. I think most of the players forgot what got them there and didn't want to put that effort any more resulting in Flip. I remember being frustrated at times during the regular season. The identity that made the Pistons was slowly crumbling, and it took LeBron in the playoffs to prove it. We weren't the same defensive team and it showed. Then Ben was gone ....

I know the game was over, but Leuer looked healthy. 12/4 in 8 minutes. 

Again, I know it was garbage time. But he missed all of last season. The first half of his first season he was very good. If he can return to form he needs to get a chance to play. Pistons owe him $22 million between this year and next year. 

Pistons lose by 27. They lost by 20 to Boston. Pretty much the same game. Totally outclassed. 

11 rough games in a row. They’re currently 1-1. My realistic goal for the next 9 games is 4-5. 

12 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

It is, but if you read the post you’d see I referenced the difficult schedule as my reasoning for pessimism surrounding the next 9 games. 

OKC is the second best team in the NBA in my opinion. Their the best defensive team now and Roberson hasn’t played yet. I think they will give the Warriors some difficulty. 

They are very impressive, they're playing defense this season and Adams is a hugely underrated player. I think losing Carmelo and gaining Schroeder was a big upgrade for them. Losing Melo in itself was a big upgrade.

Tough defensive teams speed up the game in your minds when you are on offense. Even when you have that rare open shot, life has been so hard all night you just can't relax and take those shots like you typically would. Oklahoma played like there were six men on the court. Eventually the Pistons' beaten mindset on offense made it feel seven men in their minds.

5 minutes ago, NYLion said:

They are very impressive, they're playing defense this season and Adams is a hugely underrated player. I think losing Carmelo and gaining Schroeder was a big upgrade for them. Losing Melo in itself was a big upgrade.

Noel was a big pickup to help defend. If he can stay healthy they have 2 of the best bench guys in the league. Their bench was a disaster last year. 

I think they give GSW a run in the playoffs. 

Brooklyn loses at home to Cleveland. They’re 8-17. I am writing them off. 

10 teams for 8 spots now. I think Orlando is the next one to fall off. 

Bullock sprained an ankle. Probably out a few games but nothing long term. I want to see Kennard. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Betrayer said:

And we’re still chasing OKC through screens. The worst three point shooting team in the league and we won’t go under. Senseless. 

This will be a point of emphasis for not next practice, but the practice after as we discuss defense on picks and screens for my daughter's 5th-6th grade team.  Always always always always go below picks and screens on defense.  And if any other time arises, go below the picks and screens.

there's the stanley i know and love.  next time he has two good games in a row, get the wizards on the phone and see how stupid they are.

• Like 1

Officially at the quarter pole of the season, I'd definitely say 13-8 was a success. Last year we fell off a cliff starting right about now. Let's see how this team does.

14 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Pistons lose by 27. They lost by 20 to Boston. Pretty much the same game. Totally outclassed. 

11 rough games in a row. They’re currently 1-1. My realistic goal for the next 9 games is 4-5. 

The fact that you said "realistic" makes you a pretty positive person. Every one of those teams is better than the Pistons except CHA and NO...but Davis and Kemba kill us every time. Realistic is 2-7.