Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

Game 21: Thunder @ Pistons

In 12 games off the bench, Stanley Johnson is averaging:

20 minutes, 11 points, 45/35/79 shooting line, 4 boards, almost 2 steals, and an assist. 

37 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

In 12 games off the bench, Stanley Johnson is averaging:

20 minutes, 11 points, 45/35/79 shooting line, 4 boards, almost 2 steals, and an assist. 

He has played much better off the bench.

I'll be interested to see what DC does with Kennard. His shooting is still very valuable to this team. But Brown has defended so well it'll be hard to remove him. I think tonight you use Brown on Russ and Schroder. Wednesday could be a day against Milwaukee where they don't have elite scoring guards to use Kennard. 

I've had to watch a lot of these games on League Pass the next day, so I haven't commented much, but this has been a nice run. Tough competition coming up, so this is a real test.

During the easy part of the schedule, they did what they should have and won those games. There's something to be said for that, because in the past that has not been true. Take care of business.

Coming into yesterday's game I would have said I was expecting 2-7 over the next 9 (GS, OKC, 2x MIL, 2x PHI, NO, CHA, BOS). That would've put them at 14-14, which is roughly where you'd expect this team to float all year long. But they seem to be finding some confidence, better coaching, and they're finding ways to win. This stretch is a great opportunity for them to turn some heads. They also need to show that they can be the same team on the road (4-4) that they are at home (9-3).

And yes, Stanely has been so much better of the bench and playing a lot of PF...as many of us have been saying for so long. I look back at the SVG days of playing Stanley at the SG and just shake my head. I hope he can keep it up.

As for tonight...

Dre has a big test because Adams has solid fundamentals and a lot of strength. He does a nice job of shutting down Dre's bread and butter (offensive boards and putbacks). Let's see if Dre can fight through it, be effective, and not fall into bad decisions mode.

I'll also be looking to see if Casey continues to show his coaching strength. Will we adjust our PnR coverage to go under the screen and force Westbrook into long jumpers or invite him to drive as SVG used to do by fighting through every screen against a poor outside shooter.

I totally agree the coaching has been a lot better. SVG was so stubborn with playing guys like Stanley and Moreland all the time because of defense.

The offense runs so much better without Jackson dribbling the air out of the ball. It seems as though we have actual sets and out of bounds plays now.

For all the talk of SVG being a defensive coach, our defense got shredded from 3 point land a lot. We were in the bottom half of the league the last 2 seasons in defending the three. Through 20 games under Casey, we are first in the league against the three. If they can keep that up this team can make some noise.

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I've had to watch a lot of these games on League Pass the next day, so I haven't commented much, but this has been a nice run. Tough competition coming up, so this is a real test.

During the easy part of the schedule, they did what they should have and won those games. There's something to be said for that, because in the past that has not been true. Take care of business.

Coming into yesterday's game I would have said I was expecting 2-7 over the next 9 (GS, OKC, 2x MIL, 2x PHI, NO, CHA, BOS). That would've put them at 14-14, which is roughly where you'd expect this team to float all year long. But they seem to be finding some confidence, better coaching, and they're finding ways to win. This stretch is a great opportunity for them to turn some heads. They also need to show that they can be the same team on the road (4-4) that they are at home (9-3).

And yes, Stanely has been so much better of the bench and playing a lot of PF...as many of us have been saying for so long. I look back at the SVG days of playing Stanley at the SG and just shake my head. I hope he can keep it up.

As for tonight...

Dre has a big test because Adams has solid fundamentals and a lot of strength. He does a nice job of shutting down Dre's bread and butter (offensive boards and putbacks). Let's see if Dre can fight through it, be effective, and not fall into bad decisions mode.

I'll also be looking to see if Casey continues to show his coaching strength. Will we adjust our PnR coverage to go under the screen and force Westbrook into long jumpers or invite him to drive as SVG used to do by fighting through every screen against a poor outside shooter.

Drummond played fairly well against Adams last season (averaged 14/14 and 2.5 APG/2.5 BPG on 52% shooting). 

As always, it seems that avoiding early foul trouble is crucial for Drummond. 

OKC doubling Blake every time he touches it. Guys are going to have to hit shots when he finds them open. 

Boneheaded Dre showed up so far this game. No less than three wasted possessions already. 

OKC’s defense smothering the Pistons. But letting Drummond shoot a three and take multiple out of control drives to the basket will make any defense look better than what it is. 

• Like 1

WTF are they doing? Drummond with 4 straight bonehead possessions then Reggie and Griffin and Johnson back to back to back horrible possessions.

Schroeder nullifies Ish’s greatest strength, his speed. One of the few guys as fast as Ish. 

Thunder up 9. Pistons with their worst offensive quarter of the year. 17 points and really can’t recall a made jump shot. 

Just now, Betrayer said:

Schroeder nullifies Ish’s greatest strength, his speed. One of the few guys as fast as Ish. 

I remember a game in Atlanta last year where he absolutely destroyed Ish. 

Hopefully they can battle and have a chance to win late. OKC is playing as well as anybody in the league since their bad start. 

OKC forces us to take only what they want us to get: Dre dribble drives, Dre threes, long shots from Ish and Stanley. Excellent defensive 1st quarter for the bad guys. 

Pistons might not score again today. Wide open looks, nothing but bricks.  

Bullock out so Kennard getting minutes. 

Why the heck are we chasing Schroeder over the screen rather than going under? Make him shoot, don’t let him drive to the hole. 

How many bricked threes is that for Stanley now? OKC leaving the right guys open.