AlaskanTigersFan

Avila Approval Right Now?

Avila's Approval Rating right now?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Just curious, do you approve of Al Avila right now (or up to this date Dec 1st 2018)?

6 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

So the 3 19-23 year old prospects we got for JD are washouts even though 2 of them are in the top 30 of our system?  And the one that isn't is being judged a failure by you at 19 though his MiLB OPS was .849 this year.   Many prospects would like to fail that well.

And the verdict is out on the 3 21-24 year old prospects we got for Verlander?     Amazing that your evaluations from a keyboard are better than those that actually make a living doing it.   

LooseGoose .. to 30 of any team's system is only as good as the system itself.  

If they improve this year .. I may upgrade my ratings upward from the current 3.  Nothing in baseball is forever static ..things tend to be dynamic ..at any given point in time it may be more of one than the other ..but someday they'll contend for a World Series again.  I only hope it is while Miggy is still an active player.

We may all die before the tigers win a championship. Think about that. 

5 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m no Avila apologist, but the arguments you make are not very well informed.  Paying part of JV’s salary was done so we could get a better return in prospects.  Cameron had a very good year and AFL season, and looks like he’ll contribute soon.  Perez had a physical setback, but that happens with pitchers.  He’s young and far from being considered a washout.  Candelario looks like he’ll be a good hitter and a mainstay in the lineup.  A bit of a sophomore slump this year, but his power and OBP ability suggests he’ll routinely be a plus 800 OPS guy. Paredes put up an amazing year when you factor in his age at AA.  Castro, who we swiped from the Indians, also did well considering his age relative to the league he was in. 

These are just a few examples, and doesn’t factor in the last couple of drafts.  The bottom line is is that until any of these prospects flame out, we really won’t know how successful all of these moves are.  Still way too early to tell with the information we currently have.

I have high hopes for Daz Cameron.  Perez not so much.  

I doubt Candelario will ever be any better than we have already seen.  Is that good enough?  Depends upon whether one might be satisfied with his contributions or not.  In my opinion ..his 2018 season did not impress me.  If he becomes a routine .800+ OPS guy ..then he will have exceeded my expectations.  

Paredes better become a decent MLB starting player for the Tigers (or bring one via trade) ..else I'll downgrade AA from 3 to a 2.5.

I hope Castro does progress to be an above average starting player.  That would raise AA's score.

Basically .. I would give AA a 50/50 right now (5) ..but I've taken into consideration AA's past fails ..namely Mike Pelfrey, Mark Lowe, Mike Aviles, ..and retaining Brad Ausmus 2 years longer than he should have.

On the bright side ..my 3 rank for Avila means nowhere to go but up.  That's the expectation.

How can you say anything BUT the jury is still out on Avila?  Most of his acquisitions haven't made it to the big leagues yet.  

If you want to judge him on anything, we can say he failed to build on what DD built at the major league level.  He made some bad signings when this team was in the last throes of contention.  You can definitely say he failed there.  

But as for the rebuild, it's only year 2 (or 2 1/2).  Give it another 2 years.  If Paredes or Cameron or Mize is tearing it up, if Faedo bounces back, if Candelerio actually hits, then you're talking.

Has to be "500/50" right now.

50 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

I only hope it is while Miggy is still an active player.

But with what team? I have a feeling that by about the next mid-season Miguel is going to decide he wants to be somewhere else, and given the virtual impossibility of that happening, I worry that will not play out well.

I think AA is doing a good job but I will worry when its time to hire expensive free agents which so far he has not done well. Even the not so expensive ones. Maybe it was Illitch and maybe he learned from it. Time will tell.

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

all stone fruits suck, just like all mccanns

No no...

Cherries are, well... cherry.

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

But with what team? I have a feeling that by about the next mid-season Miguel is going to decide he wants to be somewhere else, and given the virtual impossibility of that happening, I worry that will not play out well.

That may be true ..I have wondered that too.  

With his salary and age and declining health & productivity .. no other team will want him.  And highly unlikely he'll up and retire with so much money on the line.  Hopefully he'll not resort to Roids to enhance his opportunity to exercise his 2024 and 2025 options.

Miggy is playing for his legacy at this point.  Pad the numbers, untuck a few firstbasemen’s jerseys, sell some Bit-Bits and pray the Tigers reach some level of respectability and competitiveness before his contract runs out.

Avila is on the committee that will vote on the newest veterans ballot for the HOF. I guess I could have put this in the HOF thread but I wanted to rattle Shelton’s cage by talking about the HOF here. 

Avila will find a way to vote for zimmermann somehow. 

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Avila is going to vote for all the shortstops.  

they are the best players after all.

11 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

they are the best players after all.

you know Miguel came up as a shortstop....

Avila is the cigar chewing cliche from Moneyball. His first scouting assignment was Davey Lopes.

59 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

you know Miguel came up as a shortstop....

Third base?

9 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Third base?

He played more shortstop in the minors than third base.  

38 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

He played more shortstop in the minors than third base.  

In 2003 he went from AA with the Carolina Mudcats to the Florida Marlins. He was the everyday third baseman at Carolina when he moved up. My point was that he “came up” as a third baseman.

Right, but I assumed Gehringer was using the term loosely.  

Jeez guys, get your meters fixed - it was a joke. A line that might be uttered by a GM justifying his Idee Fixe on shortstops...

51 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Jeez guys, get your meters fixed - it was a joke. A line that might be uttered by a GM justifying his Idee Fixe on shortstops...

No, sorry, there's no joking here.  And put away that French.

59 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Cabrera wants to play SS.  

Does he have enough bat to stick there?