AlaskanTigersFan

Avila Approval Right Now?

Avila's Approval Rating right now?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Just curious, do you approve of Al Avila right now (or up to this date Dec 1st 2018)?

I think peaches and other stone fruits are by far the worst type of fruit. 

30 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

He basically got squat for JD ..verdict is still out on the return for JV 

So the 3 19-23 year old prospects we got for JD are washouts even though 2 of them are in the top 30 of our system?  And the one that isn't is being judged a failure by you at 19 though his MiLB OPS was .849 this year.   Many prospects would like to fail that well.

And the verdict is out on the 3 21-24 year old prospects we got for Verlander?     Amazing that your evaluations from a keyboard are better than those that actually make a living doing it.   

The jury is still out on these prospects, but the jury has convicted on these other prospects. 

I am the only member of the jury. 

20 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

So the 3 19-23 year old prospects we got for JD are washouts even though 2 of them are in the top 30 of our system?  And the one that isn't is being judged a failure by you at 19 though his MiLB OPS was .849 this year.   Many prospects would like to fail that well.

And the verdict is out on the 3 21-24 year old prospects we got for Verlander?     Amazing that your evaluations from a keyboard are better than those that actually make a living doing it.   

This

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best .. I'd rate Al Avila a maximum of 3.

The Tigers have not gotten better under Al Avila.  Most of his transactions have been poor to mediocre ..with a supposedly decent transaction once in a while (..even a broken clock is right twice a day.)

broken-clock-on-white-background-260nw-366848786.jpg

Avila has ordered at least 100 deaths. We just don’t hear about them because they take place in the various winter leagues. 

• Like 1

Avila is headed in the right direction lik Columbus was, but it’s hard to tell where he’ll end up. If he’s good at judging talent and developing talent or at hiring people who are that’s the key.  I’m not sure if how well he’s doing this is clear yet. 

He is working within objective parameters set by ownership, the market, and an organization he must work with and through instead of merely against.  

It’s not like he can order summary executions at dawn of all the dead wood in this organization — if indeed this is a problem — although I think our discussions would be a lot more interesting if he could. 

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best .. I'd rate Al Avila a maximum of 3.

The Tigers have not gotten better under Al Avila.  Most of his transactions have been poor to mediocre ..with a supposedly decent transaction once in a while (..even a broken clock is right twice a day.)

He basically got squat for JD ..verdict is still out on the return for JV (and are we not still paying part of JV's salary?) ..several injury riddled Minor League pitching prospects ..not nearly enough hitting prospects in the minors ..and even his own manager John Gardenhire cannot hire his own coaches.

In my humble opinion ..the Tigers will not make the playoffs under Al Avila unless they resign him to a new 5-year contract after 2020 ..which will take them to through season 2025 ..and that still may not be enough time for Al Avila to get it right.

I’m no Avila apologist, but the arguments you make are not very well informed.  Paying part of JV’s salary was done so we could get a better return in prospects.  Cameron had a very good year and AFL season, and looks like he’ll contribute soon.  Perez had a physical setback, but that happens with pitchers.  He’s young and far from being considered a washout.  Candelario looks like he’ll be a good hitter and a mainstay in the lineup.  A bit of a sophomore slump this year, but his power and OBP ability suggests he’ll routinely be a plus 800 OPS guy. Paredes put up an amazing year when you factor in his age at AA.  Castro, who we swiped from the Indians, also did well considering his age relative to the league he was in. 

These are just a few examples, and doesn’t factor in the last couple of drafts.  The bottom line is is that until any of these prospects flame out, we really won’t know how successful all of these moves are.  Still way too early to tell with the information we currently have.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tim Mitchell said:

I   want AA to sign a guy that gets pissed off. You know, about losing. **** like that.

We had that with McCann   

58 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m no Avila apologist, but the arguments you make are not very well informed.  Paying part of JV’s salary was done so we could get a better return in prospects.  Cameron had a very good year and AFL season, and looks like he’ll contribute soon.  Perez had a physical setback, but that happens with pitchers.  He’s young and far from being considered a washout.  Candelario looks like he’ll be a good hitter and a mainstay in the lineup.  A bit of a sophomore slump this year, but his power and OBP ability suggests he’ll routinely be a plus 800 OPS guy. Paredes put up an amazing year when you factor in his age at AA.  Castro, who we swiped from the Indians, also did well considering his age relative to the league he was in. 

These are just a few examples, and doesn’t factor in the last couple of drafts.  The bottom line is is that until any of these prospects flame out, we really won’t know how successful all of these moves are.  Still way too early to tell with the information we currently have.

So, would you say the jury is out?

33 minutes ago, Shelton said:

So, would you say the jury is out?

Yes—that would have been much simpler

2 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

I   want AA to sign a guy that gets pissed off. You know, about losing. **** like that.

Isn't that what we have Ron Gardenhire for? 

2 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

This is why nontendering McCann was a big mistake.  

I’m 50/50.  I think the success of the org long term depends on ownership as much as the GM and his staff. 

The fact that JD waited so long to sign a deal in the off season tells me all I need to know about his market so I don’t care about that trade at all.  

Given what he has and the stated direction I’m not sure what we can expect right now.  We have to see how the plan and process plays out.  Then we’ll know.  

I liked DD but he didn’t do this in Detroit by himself.  Nobody followed him to Boston. I don’t see how what happened here with DD can’t happen without 

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I want Avila to sign good baseball players.

yeah - it doesn't matter what else you are good or bad at as a GM - you don't get anywhere if you can't identify guys that can make your team better - it seems trivial to repeat it, but it's still the bottom line.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I liked DD but he didn’t do this in Detroit by himself.  Nobody followed him to Boston. I don’t see how what happened here with DD can’t happen without 

This might be why he won a World Series in Boston and not Detroit. 

4 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

This might be why he won a World Series in Boston and not Detroit. 

You cracked it bobrob 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

You cracked it bobrob 

And here I thought it was because Leyland didn't have them do enough PFP.

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

I think peaches and other stone fruits are by far the worst type of fruit. 

Peaches are awesome in August.  You should stick to baseball.  

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

plums are over-rated.

That is true.  

31 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Peaches are awesome in August.  You should stick to baseball.  

all stone fruits suck, just like all mccanns