AlaskanTigersFan

Avila Approval Right Now?

Avila's Approval Rating right now?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Just curious, do you approve of Al Avila right now (or up to this date Dec 1st 2018)?

Just curious, do you approve of Al Avila right now? Letting Alex Wilson go for nothing.... Seems ridiculous to me. If he was making 3 million, let's say we trade him at the deadline, we save 1.5 mil. So we could have bought a B level prospect for 1.5 million...... Yet teams are paying a lot (well a lot less now for international prospects since the rule change) for some guys over seas to come in an hopefully make it to the MLB. Or other pitchers with a 3.36 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP are making 10-20 million per year..... I just have a hard time buying we couldn't find someone to trade him to.

Anyways, I was just curious what you guys think of Avila. I was hugely disappointed on the JD trade, this was a bad move and I cannot believe they didn't trade Castellanos at last year's deadline when teams were sniffing around on him. Let alone right now while teams are looking at him. These are things GM's should look at in my opinion. It's easy for us fans not knowing all that is going on behind the doors, but this one is hard to swallow. Not keeping Wilson just to trade him at the deadline for essentially 1.5 million is baffling.  

I'm 50/50 at this point, I can't get a definitive verdict until we see how our prospects develop.   

His detractors always point to the JD trade, that's like their crutch but what were the alternatives?   You can't force a market for somebody when it isn't there.   The fact that he turned JV and Justin Wilson into Candalario, 2 top 50 prospects, another 60ish prospect(who was top 30 just last year) and Jake Rogers who is arguably the best defensive catcher in the minors was unbelievable.    I dont know why he isn't getting more credit for that than he is. 

46 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Just curious, do you approve of Al Avila right now? Letting Alex Wilson go for nothing.... Seems ridiculous to me. If he was making 3 million, let's say we trade him at the deadline, we save 1.5 mil. So we could have bought a B level prospect for 1.5 million...... Yet teams are paying a lot (well a lot less now for international prospects since the rule change) for some guys over seas to come in an hopefully make it to the MLB. Or other pitchers with a 3.36 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP are making 10-20 million per year..... I just have a hard time buying we couldn't find someone to trade him to.

Anyways, I was just curious what you guys think of Avila. I was hugely disappointed on the JD trade, this was a bad move and I cannot believe they didn't trade Castellanos at last year's deadline when teams were sniffing around on him. Let alone right now while teams are looking at him. These are things GM's should look at in my opinion. It's easy for us fans not knowing all that is going on behind the doors, but this one is hard to swallow. Not keeping Wilson just to trade him at the deadline for essentially 1.5 million is baffling.  

Do you really believe that he didn’t try and trade Wilson?  The guy is a pedestrian reliever with no out pitch.  I’m not surprised there was no market for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Do you really believe that he didn’t try and trade Wilson?  The guy is a pedestrian reliever with no out pitch.  I’m not surprised there was no market for him.

There was a report about how good his numbers were in the 2nd half of the season, but IIRC hadn't he been bumped down to mostly low leverage service?

Furthermore, why force a trade for Castellanos when you can potentially control him for two more seasons?  I think Avila is highly motivated to trade him, but won’t give him away, like you suggest he did JD. which of course he didn’t, given the lack of interest there was in Martinez during free agency (he didn’t sign with the Red Sox until Spring Training.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

There was a report about how good his numbers were in the 2nd half of the season, but IIRC hadn't he been bumped down to mostly low leverage service?

Mebbe.  Let’s see how he does in free agency.  From my eye test, he never instilled confidence when he came in to pitch.  I’m pretty confident that Avila tried to move him for something of value before non-tendering him.

I really like last year's draft. Methinks they are headed in the right direction.

Jury is still out but I am leaning optimistic. It appears they’ve drafted well and made some pretty good trades. The question remains, does this organization have what it takes to move these guys through the minor league system to produce successful and productive major leaguers? The org has to be better than in the recent past.

There is even less of a market for Castellanos than there was for JD.  Candelario, Paredes, Cameron, and Rogers are better than anyone who was in the system.  I like the 2018 draft.

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I agree, IMHO, he no doubt tried to deal Wilson and most likely McCann (note there were two C trades the same day). I feel his deals so far have been sound. We need good scouting and player development as that is very underrated.

I think he has done a decent job so far. He seems to know talent and some of the deals he wanted to make just did not come to fruition (Kinsler/hands tied as he would not go to NYM and prior to that JD for Conforto was rumored).

Again, our system has to develop players. Not just acquisitions. Guys WE draft and develop and a lot of that has to do with scouting and coaching. I found it interesting that 'Gardy' was all over the fundamentals at end of last year with players. ex missing cut-off men, out of synch relays, base covering, etc. That needs to be imprinted early in the minors, IMHO and then re-visited.

We will see what the team looks for again this off season. The main 3 FA's last year were all sound - and he turned 2 into more 'potential' young players with upside.

We will see in the next couple months again what players are brought on this year... the market seems flooded almost. Maybe a Chis Owings for SS/utility is an idea. Maybe FGalvis, JBour, etc.

We also need to get some offensive young players in here as well. Some how, some way... I look for the FO to try to swing a deal to get one offensive/position player in here and also the rule 5 'may' have a player (other than the usual RP)... AA is trying and it takes time. Yet, again, this organization has to develop some DRAFTED players. This in the end, all falls on AA.

• Like 1

I don't have the energy or the time or the interest to evaluate all of Avila's moves here.  He did a good job with the restructuring as far as I can tell in 2018.  Good value moves, no mistakes.  The trade with the Cubs was awesome.  The other salary dump moves were not inspiring.  The farm system has taken an objective leap according to the ratings, but we'll see if that pans out with a better MLB team or not; and I certainly don't see the makings of a winning team from the moves, roster and system in place today.

I'm 50/50.  He's done a decent-to-good-if-unspectacular job with the restructuring this far.  The team and organization are still not where they need to be.  He feels like Bob Quinn's Ghost of Christmas Future to me at this point.

Why pay $3 million for Alex Wilson and his 3.36 ERA when you can pay $3 million for Matt Moore and his 6.79 ERA?  

A lot of good points. I like the way Avila is drafting I must admit. Mize was a no brainer (glad he didn't pass up for Bart), Clemens an Meadows is great I think.... But his trades are what are killing me. Maybe if he doesn't deal with trades an only drafts... then he'd be ok imo. 

5 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

A lot of good points. I like the way Avila is drafting I must admit. Mize was a no brainer (glad he didn't pass up for Bart), Clemens an Meadows is great I think.... But his trades are what are killing me. Maybe if he doesn't deal with trades an only drafts... then he'd be ok imo. 

This is such an odd position to take, IMO. The Verlander and Wilson trade were both very good. 

Even if you insist on labeling the JD trade a failure, it’s not like he hasn’t shown that he can pull off very good trades. 

13 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Why pay $3 million for Alex Wilson and his 3.36 ERA when you can pay $3 million for Matt Moore and his 6.79 ERA?  

The Tigers are thinking outside the box 😁

15 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

The Moore deal has upside.   A $3M signing of AWilson has no upside.

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

This is such an odd position to take, IMO. The Verlander and Wilson trade were both very good. 

Even if you insist on labeling the JD trade a failure, it’s not like he hasn’t shown that he can pull off very good trades. 

I think the JD trade should be judged on the merits of whether it would have been better to not trade him and take a compensatory pick instead.  Clearly there was no market for him during the trade deadline AND free agency period.

9 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think the JD trade should be judged on the merits of whether it would have been better to not trade him and take a compensatory pick instead.  Clearly there was no market for him during the trade deadline AND free agency period.

I agree but some people just can’t get over it. And it was ultimately disappointing, so whatever. If people want to call that a bad trade I’m not going to argue about it too much. At least it’s arguably defensible.

26 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

And the Tigers would have gotten a pick at the end of the 4th round. It would have been pick 135 of the 2018 MLB Draft. Do you know who went 135th in the 2018 MLB draft? Adam Wolf (LHP) to the Detroit Tigers.

I think the jury is still out on the JD trade.  One of those kids could still pan out 

37 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

The problem I had with the JD trade was not the return, but when it was made. By delaying the rebuild until after the 2016 team failed they wound up with lesser returns on JV and JD imo.

Although to be fair to Avila pulling the plug on that team may have required ownership to sign off on and maybe they didn't want too early on that year.

10 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

"You try and trade him"

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best .. I'd rate Al Avila a maximum of 3.

The Tigers have not gotten better under Al Avila.  Most of his transactions have been poor to mediocre ..with a supposedly decent transaction once in a while (..even a broken clock is right twice a day.)

He basically got squat for JD ..verdict is still out on the return for JV (and are we not still paying part of JV's salary?) ..several injury riddled Minor League pitching prospects ..not nearly enough hitting prospects in the minors ..and even his own manager John Gardenhire cannot hire his own coaches.

In my humble opinion ..the Tigers will not make the playoffs under Al Avila unless they resign him to a new 5-year contract after 2020 ..which will take them to through season 2025 ..and that still may not be enough time for Al Avila to get it right.