lordstanley

December 2018 Game Threads

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

At this point the Wings main defensive effort against them isn't much more than waiting for the Caps to shoot and hope for a rebound onto a stick they can clear from the zone.

This really isn't fair, guys like Glendening will pivot in about a foot by foot square, hoping shots hit them.

17 hours ago, holygoat said:

The mid-90s is still my favorite era of NHL hockey. It was a perfect mix of "toughness" and skill, and pre-dated every team adopting the trap. 

I think you could make a case that New Jersey's upset of the Wings in the 1995 SCF was one of the most influential series in NHL history.

23 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Something I learned from that list:

There were rumblings that Buffalo, with four first-round picks in the next two years, might look at a rental to boost its chances. 

They need some offense... send them Nyquist for one of those 1sts...

27 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

is there any goaltending they trust coming up in the system though? Nothing more frustrating in hockey than having put together a good team and then ending up with no goaltending.

Mrazek's collapse set back the Wings, no doubt.  3 or 4 years ago I expected him to be a core piece going forward. Was higher on him than I ever was on Howard.

22 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

is there any goaltending they trust coming up in the system though? Nothing more frustrating in hockey than having put together a good team and then ending up with no goaltending.

Their goalie prospects are a ways off unfortunately.  Filip Larsson is my pick to have the best chance of them all to succeed (2016 6th rounder), but he's only a freshman at University of Denver and had an injury earlier this year.  So far he's played two games with a .937 save percentage.  Jesper Eliasson seems to be doing well with his U20 team in Sweden (2018 3rd rounder) but didn't get picked for Sweden's World Juniors camp.  Petruzzelli (2017 3rd rounder) didn't make the US World Juniors roster either, he's a sophomore with a .917 sv% at Quinnipiac.  Those are probably the top three guys who could potentially work out.  Possibly Joren van Pottelberghe could pan out, he's having a solid year for his tier 2 swiss team with a .936 save percentage....but it is Tier 2 Swiss hockey.

At least they're tall?

15 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Mrazek's collapse set back the Wings, no doubt.  3 or 4 years ago I expected him to be a core piece going forward. Was higher on him than I ever was on Howard.

I thought he was going to be an above average, slightly below elite level goaltender for years to come.... so maybe just ignore all my goalie thoughts.

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I think you could make a case that New Jersey's upset of the Wings in the 1995 SCF was one of the most influential series in NHL history.

I’m glad we lost that series. It made 96 so much more devastating and 97 so much more gratifying. 98 was so boring. 

3 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

I thought he was going to be an above average, slightly below elite level goaltender for years to come.... so maybe just ignore all my goalie thoughts.

Mrazek and Howard a real contrast. Jimmy is about as physically/athletically unimpressive goalie as I've watched, and he has had a few long funks when he's not been very good, but he manages to play mostly better then you think he should. Smarts, anticipation - mental toughness - whatever - something works for him. OTOH, Mrazek could look way better, but just wasn't always there.

• Like 1

trade Howard and then just re-sign him in the offseason to a 1 or 2 year deal.  I doubt there would be that much competition.

If you can get a first round pick for Jimmy Howard you have to do it, right?

12 hours ago, Buddha said:

If you can get a first round pick for Jimmy Howard you have to do it, right?

They would be insane not to.  The Vegas pick we got for Tatar turned into Veleno, so even a late first rounder is very valuable.

Jimmy allegedly loves Detroit so if you want to give him a little wink wink, nod nod before trading him that's fine, but take the best pick(s) you can get for him even if you don't think he'll come back. 

I believe there is an American goalie that is projected to be first round-ish as well if they wanted to try to grab back end picks in the first round and target a future starter.

first or second rounders for nyquist and howard would put a nice bow on the rebuild.  give em lots of ammunition in the next draft.

23 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Mrazek and Howard a real contrast. Jimmy is about as physically/athletically unimpressive goalie as I've watched, and he has had a few long funks when he's not been very good, but he manages to play mostly better then you think he should. Smarts, anticipation - mental toughness - whatever - something works for him. OTOH, Mrazek could look way better, but just wasn't always there.

Jimmy is a very solid goaltender and I guess I don't understand the idea he isn't athletic or is physically unimpressive.  That sounds more like Chris Osgood, TBH.  Jimmy is 6'1", 215 - that is plenty big for a goalie and I'd say Jimmy is average athletically in the league, possibly a hair above.  Jimmy's biggest issue has been staying healthy.

Mrazek isn't / wasn't solid fundamentally.  His angles were frankly pretty terrible for someone at that level.  His depth in the crease was not consistently good either.  Petr often sold out early and when he guessed right he looked good - and I think looked better than he actually was.

Think of the CF in baseball who gets a bad jump but then dives and makes a catch.  He is lauded for being a good CF when had he just gotten a average jump and took a good route it would have been a nice running catch earning no praise.  Petr, to me, was the rough hockey goalie equivalent of that.  Guessing early to get some nice saves and doing acrobatic stuff to make saves after he put himself in a bad position by guessing wrong.  Had he good fundamentals, a lot of those highlight saves look merely nice rather than amazing.

Taking it all in, I think the league got wise to him more than him regressing.  Basically if you were disciplined as a team to take that extra beat of time before committing to a shot, or alternately making an extra pass, he'd take himself out of position more frequently than other goalies in the league.  I think that tendency was getting exploited pretty regularly and things snowballed from there.

In retrospect, I am not surprised Mrazek was a flash in the pan though I'd be lying if I arrived at that before late 2016/2017 season / early last season.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Jimmy is a very solid goaltender and I guess I don't understand the idea he isn't athletic or is physically unimpressive. 

Don't disagree with your primary analysis - solid is right. But I don't think he has nearly as high a 'wow' factor save ratio as more acclaimed goalies. Maybe that is just because he is smart and sound in his positioning, but that is sort of what I meant anyway. But just along the same lines, he's a poor puck handler on open ice at best - I catch my breath every time he goes behind the net and there is any opponent anywhere on our side of the blue line, likewise he (wisely for him) almost never strays up ice to cut down a clear and make a pass to shorten a break on a power play. Those parts (or lack of) his game - which granted are not fundamental for a goalie, still help give him kind of a 'workman' aura.

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

By all means if you can get a 1st or 2nd for either Nyquist or Howard you do it.

The Wings need a goalie comparable to Howard for at least the 2 years after this one.  If you don't trade him, I bet he's inclined to re-sign here for a couple of years. I don't think the market will give him 3 years. Yes, if you get a 1st for him, trade him in a heartbeat even if it decreases the chances of him signing here. A 2nd? If it's flat out, not conditional on Howard signing with the team who trades for him, OK. But if it's a 3rd or 4th, only to become a 2nd if he plays in so many playoff games or he signs with the team who trades for him, then why bother.

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

The Wings need a goalie comparable to Howard for at least the 2 years after this one.

Two more years of Bernier doesn't do it for you?