lordstanley

December 2018 Game Threads

What a shoulder fake..........That was impressive. 

Does anyone remember the little shoulder fake Kirk Maltby did in the 1997 Finals ? 

2 from Toronto at Toronto is pretty nice. It would be nice if the team could figure out how to level it out a little. They seem to play a lot of these rollercoaster type of hot period/cold period games. I guess it's an improvement over coming out flat in the 1st ever night though.....

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

2 from Toronto at Toronto is pretty nice. It would be nice if the team could figure out how to level it out a little. They seem to play a lot of these rollercoaster type of hot period/cold period games. I guess it's an improvement over coming out flat in the 1st ever night though.....

Young team............they're gonna have those ups and downs.  

Sheesh, Larkin. What a goal.

Nice to see Nyquist producing. Would love to move him at the deadline, but I fear the Wings will play just good enough to convince the FO to be buyers.

So the Wings beat the Leafs,  watching the final school Christmas play of my daughter before she starts high school next year brought a tear to my eye tonight, and I get free skiing at Whistler on Sunday. Good day! Tis the season to be merry, good tidings to all, fa la la.

On 12/5/2018 at 5:57 AM, kdog said:

injuries starting to pile up...i think their lack of depth will help the unintentional tank effort....along with the schedule getting tougher. 

December did indeed look like a tough month on the schedule. But 1/4 of the way into it, the Wings just went 2-1-1 in the month's toughest stretch, against 3 or the top 4 teams in the NHL standings plus well-respected Boston. 12 games left in December include 5 home games all against non-playoff teams at the moment and 7 road games of varying difficulty.

Here's another indicator of the Wings' competitiveness. We're 29 games into the season, and excluding empty net goals the last time the Wings lost by more than a goal was the season's 6th game, at Montreal.  And after the 1-7-2 start, the Wings have gone 12-5-2 over the next 19 games for 26 points. 26 points in 19 games, which is almost a quarter of a season, is an 82-game pace of 112 points.

I still want them to trade Nyquist at deadline though and I think they will.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

I still want them to trade Nyquist at deadline though and I think they will.

Yes, yes and yes.

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

What do people think Gus would bring?

2nd and 4th

18 minutes ago, kdog said:

2nd and 4th

Probably, but I don't think a 1st is out of the question. Looking at what Tatar, Brassard and Ryan Hartman yielded at the deadline last year. Not apples to apples because there are some differences with respect to age and remaining term and other players involved and other contracts taken on, etc. But if a Nyquist is historically a 20G/40-45PT player and in the midst of say a 60pt pace season (his current 26 points in 29 games is 73 point pace), he'd be in demand at or before the deadline.

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

What do people think Gus would bring?

If he stays at his current pace, I could see him getting something like a conditional 1st round pick + a third/fourth, something like that.  Or a couple conditional picks, tied to him re-signing and/or playoff scoring/games played.

I have a feeling (without any real evidence) that the Wings won't trade Gus or Howard unless it is a first rounder or more coming back.  Even if they are out of the playoff picture I could see that being the case.  I have to imagine that Holland is interested in both being in Detroit after this season.....

9 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Sending fans home angry in Toronto is delicious

The trademark Babcock frowns were good to see as well.

610x_display_image.jpg

The only thing better than that would have been to hold on to that 3 goal 3rd period lead a little tighter!

38 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The only thing better is if Jensen had scored with 10 seconds left so Toronto wouldn't have gotten a point.

was his the shot that hit both posts? The physics of that happening just seems wrong.👽

8 hours ago, sagnam said:

The only thing better than that would have been to hold on to that 3 goal 3rd period lead a little tighter!

No, letting them fight back only to snatch from them at the end would have been the most soul crushing for the Leaf fan base.

That counts for something.