Brian

What exactly does this team need?

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001017849/article/bucky-brooks-top-5-2019-nfl-draft-prospects-by-position-10

Correct answer: If Hockenson is (or might be) the next Gronkowski, take him 8th.

I'm not sure fans understand that not every draft is 1983. I'm also not sure they understand that you can only draft the players that are actually in the draft. Saying "He's not a first round talent" is meaningless if there are only six "first round talents" in the draft. 

By all accounts, this draft has three or four standout DL prospects in Bosa, Williams, Allen, and Gary. They are pretty likely to be gone by pick 8.

Opinions vary widely on Ferrell, Sweat, Ferguson, and Simmons, and you're starting to get into some red flags on some of them. (Plus, how do they compare to Harold Landry? Every year there are pass rushers that people want to project as top talents, but who turn out to be average.)

The consensus top CB is Greedy Williams - though people say he doesn't like to tackle, gets beat too often in press coverage, and may have an attitude. 

The best chance the Lions have is if there is a run on QBs and one of the blue chip pass rushers falls to them, or if Miami or Washington gets antsy and wants to trade up to #8 for a QB.

If not, you have to seriously consider Hockenson at #8 (or, hopefully, at #13 or #15). Saying Mayhew picked a TE at #10 or #20 therefore we need to sharpen our pitchforks in case Quinn does the same makes no sense. By all accounts, Hockenson is a complete TE and highly polished in all parts of his game; Ebron was never thought to be a blocker, and was always known to struggle with drops, and Pettigrew was merely competent in both phases. Reports on Hockenson are that he is a three-down player who excels both as a receiver and as a blocker, and who is likely to take on a complete role very early in his career. 

"Well Gronk didn't get picked until the second round, so blah blah blah." How many teams regret not having used a higher pick to get Gronk? And don't you think the Lions regret not having used the #5 pick in 1997 on Tony Gonzalez? He went #13, but the Lions refused to waste a top 5 pick on a TE and picked a CB, Bryant Westbrook. 

exactly.

if you think he's gronk 2.0 of course you draft him #8.

that being said, i dont think he's gronk 2.0.  gronk might be the best receiving te in history (or would be if he werent hurt all the time).

and that being said, if you think he is a true difference maker on offense, then he should be in the conversation for the pick.  

bob quin has been pretty good at drafting so far.  im excited to see what they'll do this year.  if a stud edge rusher falls to them its hard to see them not taking him, but cb and offensive playmaking receiver (be it a te or a wr) would also make sense.

just dont draft a guard.

19 minutes ago, Buddha said:

that being said, i dont think he's gronk 2.0.  gronk might be the best receiving te in history (or would be if he werent hurt all the time).

Agreed. 

I thought the Mark Bavaro comparison (Bucky Brooks, NFL.com) was interesting. I don’t know if it is apt. But for the sake of conversation, here is Parcells on Bavaro: 

“Mark was a powerful blocker, I mean powerful. He would not only block linebackers, but he was one of those rare guys that could handle defensive ends, too.... when you consider the entire package, Mark brought it all to the table. He was a complete guy, able to do everything required of the position." 

https://www.eagletribune.com/sports/national_sports/with-hall-of-fame-calling-parcells-makes-case-for-mark/article_24500340-e468-5c61-bf92-ab19289934af.html

FWIW, I know almost nothing about any of these prospects. But we’ve seen the things Quinn, Belichick, and The Godfather Parcells value: toughness, versatility, using 1st pick on three-down players. I assume a player like Hockenson is very high on their boards. 

Hock is fun, but yah he's probably not Gronk. He's probably closer to somewhere in between Goedert and Howard. TE value is just too low in the end to consider at 8 IMO. 

Brady had nothing to do with Gronk's success? I think so. 

12 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Hock is fun, but yah he's probably not Gronk. He's probably closer to somewhere in between Goedert and Howard. TE value is just too low in the end to consider at 8 IMO. 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tj-hockenson

To me he is Tyler Eifert without the yearly injuries. Would I take a healthy version of Eifert in the back-end of the first round? Maybe. So Green Bay picking at #30 would be a better slot for Hockenson. However, I think with the Lions pick at #8, taking him there would be a big, unnecessary reach.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

To me he is Tyler Eifert without the yearly injuries. Would I take a healthy version of Eifert in the back-end of the first round? Maybe. So Green Bay picking at #30 would be a better slot for Hockenson. However, I think with the Lions pick at #8, taking him there would be a big, unnecessary reach.

2nd round would be a different story...

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:08 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Eifert with blocking maybe ya

hockenson could be really great, but there are lots of great tight end prospects in this draft.  the top edge/de talent is great but will be gone by round 2.  the lions should take DL in round one and worry about TE in the later rounds (like warring, that guy has great potential in round 3 or 4).

• Like 2

My official guess is they trade back, add a 2nd or two and draft a WR like Butler, Harry or Brown around 14

If you knew the Lions were going to draft an offensive player, who would you pick and would you be disappointed if they draft an offensive player by standing pat at #8?

54 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If you knew the Lions were going to draft an offensive player, who would you pick and would you be disappointed if they draft an offensive player by standing pat at #8?

Yes.

Trade down into the 12-15 range and add another 2nd rounder and I am less concerned going after Hockenstein or Fant, for example...

Staying at 8 means drafting the best pass rusher that falls, at least to me. Even if we trade down to 9-11-ish, I think a pass-rusher could fall there that I would want (Sweat or Gary?).

On 4/7/2019 at 10:28 PM, Buddha said:

hockenson could be really great, but there are lots of great tight end prospects in this draft.  

There are two.

For us to trade down what player would we need to be available for a team to want to trade up?   Perhaps a team that loves Haskins or maybe Metcalf? 

27 minutes ago, Longgone said:

There are two.

ok.  there are lots of good tight end prospects in this draft.

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

For us to trade down what player would we need to be available for a team to want to trade up?   Perhaps a team that loves Haskins or maybe Metcalf? 

drew lock maybe.

somebody drops.  arizona passes on murray.

22 hours ago, Buddha said:

drew lock maybe.

somebody drops.  arizona passes on murray.

I don't see Arizona passing on Murray.  Stay on script.

20 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I don't see Arizona passing on Murray.  Stay on script.

I don't either, but you never know.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:12 PM, RandyMarsh said:

haskins lock oliver basically

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I like this kid.  Keep an eye on him in round 2.  

The guy ran a 4.64 at the combine. I don't mean to just dismiss a Corner because of a poor 40 time, but after the Teez Tabor failure, I can't help but have doubt. Teez ran a 4.62 at the combine.

This is a totally different player than Tabor.  He’s 6’4 and 215 pounds.  A big, physical press corner that should fit their scheme well. 

Because of at&t, I no longer have the NFL Network.  I am not happy.

28 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Yeah, I'm literally thinking of ditching Uverse next week. I want Hulu Live, but sadly my Android TV doesn't support it. One thing you can always do is stream the draft life on a tablet/phone and just mirror it over to the TV with a chromecast/fire stick/built in device.

6 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

And to think you're missing "the schedule release" show

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:46 PM, Hongbit said:

I like this kid.  Keep an eye on him in round 2.  

He's got that Teez speed