Brian

What exactly does this team need?

36 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Want to hear something wacky? Only once has Drew Brees made the playoffs without a top 15 defense. The same number of times Stafford has done it. 

its almost as if football is a team sport.

Let me pull out my scroll of Stafford excuses and jot that one down. So when the Lions don't have a top 15 defense that is a new excuse for why Stafford and Co. fail/failed/will fail to make the playoffs. Yet, when you bring up Stafford's record against top 15 defenses, that gets brushed off and dismissed because "there are more factors to those loses than just Stafford."

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Let me pull out my scroll of Stafford excuses and jot that one down. So when the Lions don't have a top 15 defense that is a new excuse for why Stafford and Co. fail/failed/will fail to make the playoffs. Yet, when you bring up Stafford's record against top 15 defenses, that gets brushed off and dismissed because "there are more factors to those loses than just Stafford."

It's hard to take serious when you wanted to trade Stafford for Connor Cook. It's almost as if football is some sort of team sport. Only twice has Aaron Rodgers made the playoffs with a defense that was not top 15 and one of those appearances was an 8-7-1 season. Both times Stafford was given a top 15 defense, the Lions made the playoffs. Funny how that works. 

• Thanks 1

It's hard to take one serious when we're now comparing Stafford to Elway, Brees, and Rodgers.

I used to post that Football Outsiders stat about Stafford's atrocious record against good, even average defenses, but was met with a litney of excuses. Then again, Stafford could literally hand the ball off to the opposing defender and I'm sure he'd get defended because nothing he does wrong is ever his fault. 

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It's hard to take one serious when we're now comparing Stafford to Elway, Brees, and Rodgers.

Neither of those have won a championship or consistently made the playoffs with a poor defense and yet you expect Stafford to do it. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Neither of those have won a championship or consistently made the playoffs with a poor defense and yet you expect Stafford to do it. 

Pat Mahomes had the 31st ranked defense this year. What was his excuse for making the AFC Championship game?

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Pat Mahomes had the 31st ranked defense this year. What was his excuse for making the AFC Championship game?

Good luck trying to build a team by getting the next Pat Mahomes. Despite having one of the best seasons ever, the Chiefs aren't in the Super Bowl because their defense couldn't get a stop. 

By the way, I read an article that suggests Mahomes is going to sign a $200 million extension. Might as well trade him for them draft picks. 

22 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

By the way, I read an article that suggests Mahomes is going to sign a $200 million extension. Might as well trade him for them draft picks. 

When Matt Stafford gets his team one play away from going to the Super Bowl please come find me. Paying Patrick Mahomes and paying Matt Stafford aren't on the same level because Mahomes has managed to do three things in two years (win a division, win a playoff game, and make a conference championship) that Matt Stafford has been unable to in a decade. He did so with the second worse defense in the league I might add.

If Stafford had a couple of division wins under his belt, a playoff win or two or three, a conference championship appearance, many of his detractors (myself included) would be far more willing to pay the guy. But instead, we've got ourselves a Kirk Cousins. It will be interesting to see who achieves less with their big contracts, Stafford and the Lions or Cousins and the Vikings.

tater is going to get the last laugh when stafford gets hurt and connor cook leads the lions to the super bowl.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

When Matt Stafford gets his team one play away from going to the Super Bowl please come find me. Paying Patrick Mahomes and paying Matt Stafford aren't on the same level because Mahomes has managed to do three things in two years (win a division, win a playoff game, and make a conference championship) that Matt Stafford has been unable to in a decade. He did so with the second worse defense in the league I might add.

If Stafford had a couple of division wins under his belt, a playoff win or two or three, a conference championship appearance, many of his detractors (myself included) would be far more willing to pay the guy. But instead, we've got ourselves a Kirk Cousins. It will be interesting to see who achieves less with their big contracts, Stafford and the Lions or Cousins and the Vikings.

If you can find the next Pat Mahomes, then by all means come find me and we'll trade Stafford. My guess is, we'll end up with more Connor Cook's than Pat Mahomes. Kirk Cousins also never had a top 15 defense in Washington. He did in Minnesota and was a bit of a disappointment. 

If only Stafford threw for 5,000 yards and over 40 TDs his first full season in the NFL and made the playoffs. Alas, the Lions couldn't force the Saints to punt once and gave up 45 points. Lions also had 32 yards rushing that game, 21 of it by a RB. Stafford though was expected to pull a rabbit out of his hat. 

16 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I used to post that Football Outsiders stat about Stafford's atrocious record against good, even average defenses, but was met with a litney of excuses. Then again, Stafford could literally hand the ball off to the opposing defender and I'm sure he'd get defended because nothing he does wrong is ever his fault. 

You should add Dan Marino to that list. ?

19 hours ago, Buddha said:

tater is going to get the last laugh when stafford gets hurt and connor cook leads the lions to the super bowl.

He'll be the next Nick Foles!

6 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He'll be the next Nick Foles!

He won't be the next Tom Brady?

Consider me disappointed.

Given how bad the personnel was on the defensive front 7 and given how the defensive backfield regressed, with the defensive genius Patricia nonetheless, it is really something that this season is being blamed on Stafford...but this is what Lions fans do.  Ignore the obvious glaring deficiencies across the organization and blame the quarterback for everything.

I was looking for the stat on Stafford for how many yards per attempt his throws are (not the yardage the play goes for including YAC) but haven't found it. Just as a now *very* casual observer of the Lions, that number has seemed to me to be dropping. Like Tate's YAC was the main thing propping up the passing game results since Johnson hung them up.

I saw some excerpts from one of Suh's Super Bowl press conferences and he said he intended to sign a long term extension here but the Lions never offered him one because they didn't see him in their future.  Not sure if that's old news or not but it's the first I heard, I was always under the assumption that he didn't want to be here and chose to leave.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I saw some excerpts from one of Suh's Super Bowl press conferences and he said he intended to sign a long term extension here but the Lions never offered him one because they didn't see him in their future.  Not sure if that's old news or not but it's the first I heard, I was always under the assumption that he didn't want to be here and chose to leave.  

I suppose the truth of the matter could depend on the the difference between Suh's and the Lion's definition of "long".

22 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The thing is, Stafford sucked this year and is a major reason the team struggled.

The better question is what should be expected of him moving forward.

It was two different seasons.  Up until the Tate trade, Stafford was nearly identical or slightly better than his previous two very good years.  Immediately afterwards he was horrible. then recovered somewhat near the end of the year, but post-Tate he struggled.

I don't remember how it shook out with the offensive line injuries, but it was also right after the Tate trade where Stafford was sacked 16 times in 2 games.

I lay 2018 at the feet of Quinn.  Quinn acted as if Stafford (re: the contract, the Tate trade) as if he would provide elite production and a plsyoff appearance regardless of the supporting cast.

Stafford is a well above average quarterback who can play like an elite quarterback sometimes.   For Quinn to think that Stafford was anything better than that is foolish on Quinn's part. 

Going forward Stafford is now a 31 year old quarterback who's taken a lot of punishment physically and his supporting cast is respectable....but his O line is questionable.  I sure don't expect anything like an elite performance.

22 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I was looking for the stat on Stafford for how many yards per attempt his throws are (not the yardage the play goes for including YAC) but haven't found it. Just as a now *very* casual observer of the Lions, that number has seemed to me to be dropping. Like Tate's YAC was the main thing propping up the passing game results since Johnson hung them up.

I'm sure thats a factor, and given how important YAC is in the Pats scheme, its something I would expect Quinn and Patricia to value.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:03 AM, sabretooth said:

Going forward Stafford is now a 31 year old quarterback who's taken a lot of punishment physically and his supporting cast is respectable....but his O line is questionable.

Can't we just build a wall around Stafford and make the other team pay for it?

• Haha 2

Super Bowl champion coach Belichick on how he game planned for the Rams: “What we did was similar to what the Lions did to them...”