Brian

What exactly does this team need?

Putting in a waiver claim for DJ Swearinger would be a needed addition for the team next year.  

23 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Putting in a waiver claim for DJ Swearinger would be a needed addition for the team next year.  

Hi Hong! I disagree, and I'm not sure he won't be a vested vet and allowed to be a free agent.

I'm wrong again he's claiable, and it won't be a bad idea to do it now. I really think the Lions need to work on the long term, and make sure they fix the cap and accrue some future goods.

4 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I'm wrong again he's claiable, and it won't be a bad idea to do it now. I really think the Lions need to work on the long term, and make sure they fix the cap and accrue some future goods.

cardinals claimed him.

Needs going into the offseaon 

QB - Stafford didn't look quite himself, but I don't have any worries. Cooter called awful games and he lost all his weapons. He couldn't find a rhythm. 

RB - KErryon was top 5 in both ypc and DVOA. He's a legit stud. He probably should be a 12-15 touch guy though. Theo is a stud and needs more slot snaps. A second starting caliber RB is needed IMO. 

WR - Kenny G was our highest graded offensive player. Marvin got hurt, but I still believe in him, especially for the price. He should get a lot of play action deep balls and RZ targets in this offense. Bevell historically throws to his TE and sometimes #1RB more than his slot, but we need a decent slot receiver at least and depth outside. 

TE - Roberts shouldn't enter camp as more than the 3rd TE. If the backup isn't better than Toilolo or WIllson, the starter needs to be a legit pro bowl threat. James, Cook ,Eifert, Fant, Hockenson, Smith are probably the guys available with that upside fwiw. Or Gronk I guess. 

OL - Hopefully Lang just stays and we give it a go with the same group. I think Ragnow is gonna be a lot better. Wiggins was functional as Lang's fill in and Crosby is the future at either RT or RT IMHO.

DL - All 3 starters set, no depth on the roster beyond uh, Atkins? Hyder or RJF could be back I guess. Need some pass rush here. Could even be a high pick like Gary or Tillery IMO. There are a lot of open snaps still. 

Edge - Kennard will play jack, Romeo will be the #3 edge. Harold probably the #4, or someone similar. They'll sign Ansah or a replacement but not any Clark, Clowney or Lawrence types. Whether DL or edge, we are probably about 50 QB pressures short of being good in that department. 

LB - I view Jones and Davis as the 2 starters. They'll try to get JRM healthy and draft depth in the mid to late rounds. They believe in Davis and Jones is a perfect system fit who will play fewer snaps hopefully because we have upgraded DB and play more nickel and dime. Jones was a top 10 graded LB down the stretch though too. 

CB - Slay is a starter of course, Lawson needs to go. Tabor comes to camp but shouldn't be counted on for anything at all. Agnew goes to camp as the backup slot corner, starter needed. Ford can be outside corner 3. So I'd say you need a starting outside corner, starting slot corner and one more rosterable outside corner. Walker/Diggs may take care of slot corner though. 

S - 3 safety is going to be a main package IMO, as alluded to above. They'll look for a single high so Walker can be the jack of all trades type. Earl Thomas is basically the best to ever do this role, just sayin... (a guy like Ed Reed and other similar comps had 3 strong years left at THomas' age). 

STs - Need return help. Cordarrelle Patterson could be a fit as a slot and KR after what he did for NE this year. I think Martin probably goes as he gets paid a lot and you can find a P. Prater and Don are gods. 

So the short list is FS, starting corner, starting edge, starting TE, starting caliber RB, slot receiver, backup TE, backup CB and maybe slot corner or coverage LB. 6 or so starters, 3 on each side. Ideally you have found 3 if not 4 in FA pre-draft and can find 2-4 more in the draft. 

Why don't you believe we'll be in play for a bigger name Defensive End like Clark, Clowney, or Flowers? We have the cap space to go add a marquee playmaker like one of those aforementioned players.

Now, if you believe that Quinn and Patricia care more about schematic fit for their defense than overall talent level or playmaking ability, and as a result may not spend big on players like those guys, that I agree with.

Third year QB Jared Goff goes on the road and wins in the Superdome. Now, in year three, he's m going to a Super Bowl. Can't wait for Lions fans who say one of the following . . .

1. Well, Stafford is a better QB than Goff, so if he can go to a Super Bowl than the Lions can with Stafford leading the team.

or

2. Well, what did you expect, no one ever said Stafford was as good as Goff. You can't compare Stafford to Goff.

The amazing thing is that Goff did it all by himself without the benefit of a blatant pass interference not being called to give him a chance to tie the game.

The real question is could the Rams have done the same thing with a QB not selected #1 overall still on a rookie contract.

Speaking of Goff, the Lions really need to get Stafford to the line of scrimmage fast so that the coaches can read the defense for him while the coach to QB communication system is still open like the Rams do with Goff.

5 minutes ago, sagnam said:

The amazing thing is that Goff did it all by himself without the benefit of a blatant pass interference not being called to give him a chance to tie the game.

The real question is could the Rams have done the same thing with a QB not selected #1 overall still on a rookie contract.

That may have been the worst non call I have ever seen. It only happened because Goff is on his rookie contract. 

When Stafford played New Orleans in the playoffs in his third year, the Saints didn't punt once and scored 45 points. 

1 hour ago, sagnam said:

Sure, you can still build a good team, that makes a deep playoff run with a QB not on a rookie deal, assuming that person plays better than Stat Padford. That said, when you sink $29 million into a guy and get below average results, your team is handcuffed and will struggle to progress.

29 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

LOL now Safford is below average? 

You don't think he had below average results this past season? 

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You don't think he had below average results this past season? 

This past season, yes. No reason to expect he won't have better results next year. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

That may have been the worst non call I have ever seen. It only happened because Goff is on his rookie contract. 

When Stafford played New Orleans in the playoffs in his third year, the Saints didn't punt once and scored 45 points. 

I agree with all of this.  

Stafford is at the very least average and more likely slightly above.   I think anyone would be hard pressed to find 18 other QBs that are better.  

Right on cue the refs in the Pats/Chiefs game call a questionable PI late in the 4th quarter.  The Pats had roughed the passer on the same play so it wasn't game changing.

4 minutes ago, sagnam said:

Right on cue the refs in the Pats/Chiefs game call a questionable PI late in the 4th quarter.  The Pats had roughed the passer on the same play so it wasn't game changing.

And on the next drive Gronk is mugged and no flag.  He made the play so again it didn't change the outcome, but wow are the referees not qualified to officiate pass interference on their own.

14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Third year QB Jared Goff goes on the road and wins in the Superdome. Now, in year three, he's m going to a Super Bowl. Can't wait for Lions fans who say one of the following . . .

1. Well, Stafford is a better QB than Goff, so if he can go to a Super Bowl than the Lions can with Stafford leading the team.

or

2. Well, what did you expect, no one ever said Stafford was as good as Goff. You can't compare Stafford to Goff.

Elway was 37 when he won his 1st Superbowl. 

14 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah, but the Saints really lost because Drew Brees missed that one open receiver that one time in the 3rd quarter...

Guy just isn't a winner.

Let’s not forget that the Saints got inside the red zone on their first two drives (including after an awful pick thrown by Goff) and could not put the ball in the end zone. They could have put a nail in the coffin right away, but failed... due to a ferocious defensive line that could have belonged to the Detroit Lions. 

1 hour ago, JAYB said:

Elway was 37 when he won his 1st Superbowl. 

We're comparing Matt Stafford to John Elway now????? In John Elway's first 5 years in the league he had 5 straight playoff appearances, 4 playoff wins, and 2 Super Bowl appearances. In Matt Stafford's first 10 seasons he has 3 playoff appearances, no wins, no Super Bowl appearances.

• Like 1

Drew Brees is now 10 years removed from playing in a Super Bowl. Brees also had a streak of 7-9 seasons in there. Aaron Rodgers has only played in one following the 2010 season. It would seem as if getting to the Super Bowl and winning is rather difficult. 

I'll take a playoff win from Stafford and Co. first. Heck, I'll take them hosting a playoff game first and then a win.

28 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'll take a playoff win from Stafford and Co. first. Heck, I'll take them hosting a playoff game first and then a win.

I'll take a top 10 defense. The one time Stafford had that, they won 11 games and were cheated out of a playoff win. 

Want to hear something wacky? Only once has Drew Brees made the playoffs without a top 15 defense. The same number of times Stafford has done it.