Brian

What exactly does this team need?

I agree. In most years you are effectively out at 5-8. But when 8-8 gives you a 1 in 4 shot of a playoff appearance, then just win baby. 

That said, if they win this week but the other results effectively eliminate them, then I might change my mind. 

its the lions.  everything will break right for them, they'll get right up to the brink where all they need to do is beat green bay who will be resting aaron rogers.

and they'll lose.  just like they always lose.

personally i dont care if they win another game this year.  theyre lousy.  

The Lions should be tanking for a better draft position. Even if by some miracle they back into the playoffs, they would get smoked in the first round. This team lacks talent at a number of positions, most especially on the defensive side of the ball. If you have a chance to land a top-tier talent like Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver, Josh Allen, Greedy Williams, etc. I'd take that over getting blown out in a first round playoff game. A game in which, you most likely needed a ton of luck to get to in the first place.

It really is unbelievable that the Lions are still in the thick of the race (the head to head with Minnesota and Green Bay really keeps them in it).  Personally, I'm leaning towards preferring the higher pick but the fan in me always hopes for playoffs no matter how pointless making the playoffs with this team would likely be.

With that said, you just know that they are losing to Buffalo this week to put the slim playoff hopes out of their misery and will then win the last two games to hurt draft position.

On 12/12/2018 at 2:29 PM, MAROTH4MVP said:

My point was if even the dumbest QB has not learned the entire system since 2015, then there is something wrong with the system.

3 Offensive Cords have failed with Stafford. All 3 of them have had some success in the NFL.

Again, Stafford has played under Linehan, Lombardi, and Cooter. 

Linehan is a capable OC, but was on the hot seat before the trade for Amari Cooper. 

Lombardi has had no success in the NFL apart from Payton/Brees. 

It remains to be seen whether Cooter will be successful if/when he is no longer with the Lions. But clearly nobody looks at him as the next McVay or Nagy or even Adam Gase. 

On 12/12/2018 at 2:29 PM, MAROTH4MVP said:

My point was if even the dumbest QB has not learned the entire system since 2015, then there is something wrong with the system.

3 Offensive Cords have failed with Stafford. All 3 of them have had some success in the NFL.

But the comment was trying to explain why Cooter may have simplified the playbook when he first took over the OC job.  My comment had nothing to do with year 2 or 3 of Cooter/Stafford.

23 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

One thing that Joe Lombardi and JBC have both been criticized over is there lack of creativity on offensive play calling. Predictability is a word that has been thrown around with both guys. Is there any possibility in your mind that their lack of creative play calling/predictabiliy could also fall at the feet of the person in charge with implementing the plays on the field?

I don't recall that Lombardi was criticized for that... but maybe I'm just not remembering.  

I recall that the offense seemed to be creative and interesting when Cooter first took over and Stafford was very successful then.

I also see Stafford often be very successful in 'crunch time' when I think things tend to get a little less structured and a little more play by the seat of your pants.  I also see that Stafford seems to have success when the offense does add some creativity in some games.

I get what your saying, but I don't think what we actually see seems to support that.

34 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I also see Stafford often be very successful in 'crunch time' when I think things tend to get a little less structured and a little more play by the seat of your pants. 

I think, for the most part, this is true. Whenever things are a bit less structured, Stafford seemingly does better - at least from my eye's standpoint. Maybe I'm right or wrong, but I have the same impression as you do.

45 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I don't recall that Lombardi was criticized for that... but maybe I'm just not remembering.  

ESPN: Joe Lombardi Denies Playcalling is Predictable

I was at the Sunday Night Football game when the Broncos were picking us apart because defensive players were reading Stafford and the formations and picking up the play. I have to wonder if Lombardi's predictability was at all a result of the QB's ability to implement his full playbook.

45 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I also see Stafford often be very successful in 'crunch time' when I think things tend to get a little less structured and a little more play by the seat of your pants.  I also see that Stafford seems to have success when the offense does add some creativity in some games.

I think Stafford is more successful in crunch time partly because of what you said, but also as a result of defenses going to a soft zone, prevent, and relaxing their blitz packages. Stafford gets more time and space to work with when the defense drops back and rushes 3 or 4 and doesn't put a spy on the QB. I think this is a key reason why we see his inflated 4th quarter numbers.

5 hours ago, sagnam said:

Peyton is a doofus - and analysts have to find something to talk about. But ignoring Stafford as the particular case - that is pretty much right there with telling hitters not to swing at pitches out of the strike zone in baseball - always easier said than done. Every QB does this more often than is ideal -  the difference between better and worse QBs is in degree. I would also assume that confidence in receiver route running plays a part. You are far more likely to follow a receiver's route if you aren''t totally sure he is going to be at point where/when you think he should be. And then there are receiver routes with options - a QB is less able to look off a guy as much on an option route as he has to see what his coverage is to know where he is going to go.

Assuming TJ Lang and/or Rick Wagner are gone this offseason and the Lions don't pickup a major free agent either position, if the BPA is an offensive lineman when we're on the clock, is drafting a lineman out of the question in the first round?

18 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Assuming TJ Lang and/or Rick Wagner are gone this offseason and the Lions don't pickup a major free agent either position, if the BPA is an offensive lineman when we're on the clock, is drafting a lineman out of the question in the first round?

Yes.

Pass rushing talent is harder to find than a decent Guard or RT. 

And Crosby might fill one of those positions... Leaving one to fill, in your scenario, with a 3rd-ish rounder. You can find really good O-lineman in the mid rounds (2-5). Not All-Pro LT's, but the rest of the O-Line usually falls to the mid rounds...

On 12/15/2018 at 2:49 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

i wouldnt think anything is out of the realm of possibility, but i really see them drafting a cb or a de before anything else.

The Lions are still in play for the first pick overall.  Keep the faith.

11 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Nick Bosa would be amazing!!!

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Nick Bosa would be amazing!!!

If he gets on the field.  I would rather trade down.

Insider Take:

"They might just be adjusting to a new coach [Matt Patricia] but a lot of the problems start with a lack of pass rush. Fix that and this looks like a different team." - NFC North assistant coach

Our Take:

Pass rush. Pass rush. Pass rush.

The Lions are actually in good shape at many key positions (quarterback, left tackle, defensive tackle) but desperately need an outside pass rush to make the job of the secondary easier and to get after the talented quarterbacks in the NFC North.

If a defensive end can be found in Round 1, the Lions can circle back in the rest of the draft and fill a pressing need at tight end in a very deep class of pass-catchers. Getting after the opposing quarterback and giving their own quarterback some help—that's where the Lions' offseason plan has to start.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2811179-nfl-insiders-highlight-the-problems-of-the-leagues-worst-teams#slide7

14 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Cruzer,
Are you pulling for the Lions to tank?

3 hours ago, DTroppens said:

Cruzer,
Are you pulling for the Lions to tank?

What else is there to play for?