Brian

What exactly does this team need?

9 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I don't think Stafford needs to be pushed.

I think we need to draft a QB for the future though.

Not this year, IMO. All in to build a team around Stafford to get us to the playoffs. Either Quinn/ Patricia can do that, or they can't. Another bad year next year, and we should draft for the future. At QB I mean... and it might not be the current administration doing that drafting...

the only way the lions should draft a qb is if someone interesting falls to them in the later rounds, like the 6th or 7th round.  they have too many other needs to worry about a "developmental qb" right now.

Just now, Buddha said:

the only way the lions should draft a qb is if someone interesting falls to them in the later rounds, like the 6th or 7th round.  they have too many other needs to worry about a "developmental qb" right now.

exactly.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

People centuries from now are not going to care about the NFL.

That was my point.

I've had conversations with people about stuff like this before. If we come back in say 2120 what sports will remain as popular or popular enough be reasonably similar to what they are like today (even just 50% of what they are).

I'm sure there may be people in 2120 still playing football or baseball, but I don't think those sports will remain as they do today. Those are the two that I think won't be around, and I think football when it dies, will die fast. I think the wheels are turning on it already to a certain degree at the youth levels.

3 hours ago, DTroppens said:

I've had conversations with people about stuff like this before. If we come back in say 2120 what sports will remain as popular or popular enough be reasonably similar to what they are like today (even just 50% of what they are).

I'm sure there may be people in 2120 still playing football or baseball, but I don't think those sports will remain as they do today. Those are the two that I think won't be around, and I think football when it dies, will die fast. I think the wheels are turning on it already to a certain degree at the youth levels.

With CTE and less parents wanting their kids to play football, I think the simple fix is to remove helmets and make it more of an Australian Rules rugby type of contest with limited tackling. I think doing so can save the sport long-term.

12 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I don't think Stafford needs to be pushed.

I think we need to draft a QB for the future though.

Not this year, IMO. All in to build a team around Stafford to get us to the playoffs. Either Quinn/ Patricia can do that, or they can't. Another bad year next year, and we should draft for the future. At QB I mean... and it might not be the current administration doing that drafting...

I realize that Quinn has absolute faith in Stafford and believes he can deliver them a Super Bowl, hence the contract extension. I just think it's time for the guy to start feeling the heat. When he makes amateur hour mistakes like he has in several games this year (Jets, both Bears games) it would be nice to know that his job isn't totally invisible. I would't go above a 4th round pick to draft a QB, but I would draft one were I Quinn.

qbs taken after the 4th round:

2017: nathan peterman, brad kayaa, and chad kelly

2016: nate sudfeld, kevin hogan, jake rudock, brandon allen, jeff driskel

2015: brett hundley, trever siemian

2014: aaron murray, aj mccarron, zach mettenberger, david fales, keith wenning, tajh boyd, garrett gilbert.

looks like we should probably look to maybe the 3rd or 4th round for a developmental qb...

Looking at the QB class...

1st Round:

Justin Herbert, Daniel Jones, Will Grier,  Dwayne Haskins

2nd/3rd Round:

Drew Lock,  Ryan Finley, Tyree Jackson, Nathan Stanley

Later:

Brett Rypien, Eric Dungey, Trace McSorley, Nick Fitzgerald, Jake Browning

On November 30, 2018 at 1:24 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

With CTE and less parents wanting their kids to play football, I think the simple fix is to remove helmets and make it more of an Australian Rules rugby type of contest with limited tackling. I think doing so can save the sport long-term.

Completely agree with the "protection." It's not protection, it's weaponry.

The game is too wide open and the athletes are too good, even at a young age. The open field hits are just too damgerous and too frequent.

I completely disagree. It's more safe than ever. Australian rules sucks.

12 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I completely disagree. It's more safe than ever. Australian rules sucks.

Oh...

• Like 1

On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Brian said:

Other than new offensive and defensive coordinators. What else is needed?

1. Depth. Good Lord, team depth is pathetic.

2. Defensive line. Hand and "Snacks" fit but there has too be better options.

3. A DB opposite Slay

4. A replacement for Stafford. Yes, I went there.

What else?

This team doesn't need a thing,.  I like it just the way it is.

Well, maybe they could get another Teez Tabor, only in the first round this time.

On 12/1/2018 at 3:38 AM, cruzer1 said:

Looking at the QB class...

1st Round:

Justin Herbert, Daniel Jones, Will Grier,  Dwayne Haskins

2nd/3rd Round:

Drew Lock,  Ryan Finley, Tyree Jackson, Nathan Stanley

Later:

Brett Rypien, Eric Dungey, Trace McSorley, Nick Fitzgerald, Jake Browning

I think Lock goes in the first but it is still early. You also forgot Clayton Thorson. 

True rush end(standup LB in 3-4) or a 3-4 DE who can get pressure.

Corner and Safety

Tight End

WR

Another guard

5 hours ago, kdog said:

True rush end(standup LB in 3-4) or a 3-4 DE who can get pressure.

Corner and Safety

Tight End

WR

Another guard

Lions are a 4-3 team.  To me the 3-4 is dead.

They need to hire Mike McCarthy as OC NOW.    Why bother with JBC anymore?  

And if Stafford can't grasp what McCarthy wants then screw him..........grow up and start studying Matthew.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They need to hire Mike McCarthy as OC NOW.    Why bother with JBC anymore? 

2 thumbs up on that, but with a 125-77 record, 10 playoff wins, 8 playoff appearances in a row, 6 division titles – including 4 consecutive, Super Bowl ring... he'll likely be a highly sought after HC

1 hour ago, number20 said:

2 thumbs up on that, but with a 125-77 record, 10 playoff wins, 8 playoff appearances in a row, 6 division titles – including 4 consecutive, Super Bowl ring... he'll likely be a highly sought after HC

I would agree with that.  I think he waits until the off season and gets HC offers.  

And honestly, would he really want to come to the Lions as OC?  I mean, let's assume he gets a handful of HC offers.  What would make the Lions job more appealing than others?

You have a still pretty rookie GM and a pretty rookie HC in charge of a team that has zero history of sustained success.  You're working with a QB who's now getting long in the tooth.

There are some highlights... Johnson, for one, looks promising and the OL has some decent talent.  But if I'm McCarthy and I didn't get any head job offers, I'm taking an OC job in the hopes of getting back to the top of the heap soon.  And I don't see the Lions as a place that will showcase my skills as a coach.

1 hour ago, number20 said:

Well, Patricia is not going to hire any possible coach who could step in as a Head Coach..................and that's another reason Matt Patricia should probably be shown the door after just one year.  

33 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, Patricia is not going to hire any possible coach who could step in as a Head Coach..................and that's another reason Matt Patricia should probably be shown the door after just one year.  

Ain't happening my friend. As obviously bad as Marinelli was, even his 0-5 start and 3-13 record his first year didn't get him fired

23 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

By that rationale, every coach should be shown the door.

No,  many coaches surround themselves with very competent assistants who could take over.    Nobody on Patricia's staff is competent enough to take over and that's by design.     

I miss Jim Caldwell.    If only he could have handed the keys over on Sundays during the games.  

This team was fairly close to being good.   

Brady & Belichick make everything look a lot better than it is. 

mccarthy held the packers back, especially with play calling.  its a lot easier to win when you have one of the top 5 qbs of all time in his prime.

i wouldnt want mike mccarthy as oc and i definitely wouldnt want him as head coach.  there are plenty of other more interesting candidates out there.

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No,  many coaches surround themselves with very competent assistants who could take over.    Nobody on Patricia's staff is competent enough to take over and that's by design.     

I miss Jim Caldwell.    If only he could have handed the keys over on Sundays during the games.  

a. You don't know that is by design, and

b. very few head coaches are going to take on a successful to highly successful head coach as an assistant, and those that do are either ready to retire or so secure it isn't a consideration.

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

mcs hot take.

patricia didnt hire people because they were no threat to him.  he was just hired as head coach and there is no way in heck he was going to be fired after this year unless he did something stupid off the field like rape someone or make fun of trans people.

patricia hired his friends and people he's comfortable with as coordinators.  that sounds troubling but is likely the norm for 90% of the nfl (and every other profession).