Jump to content

Brian

What exactly does this team need?

Recommended Posts

Other than new offensive and defensive coordinators. What else is needed?

1. Depth. Good Lord, team depth is pathetic.

2. Defensive line. Hand and "Snacks" fit but there has too be better options.

3. A DB opposite Slay

4. A replacement for Stafford. Yes, I went there.

 

What else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Others might assume sarcasm, but I'm actually not joking – and I don't think DT is either.

Biggest need, if I were to rank a wish list

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) linebackers who have speed and can cover.  davis has speed but is too inconsistent right now.  you can see the talent but he just doesnt put it together.  since patricia was supposed to be a linebacker guru, you'd figure davis could get better.

everyone is clamoring for a pass rusher and they certainly could use one, but in this defense its as likely to come from a rush linebacker than a lineman.  

2) defensive back.  they have slay (who has not been good this year) and no one else.  diggs is ok, i guess.  quin is likely done.  tracy walker shows promise whenever they actually decide to play him.  but that's it.  everyone else is terrible and teez is actually the worst cornerback in the entire league.  they need someone who can cover.  anyone.  please.

3) receiver/playmaker.  a receiver who can get open would be nice.  galloway apparently doesnt need to be open because he makes nice circus catches (while dropping some easy ones).  but marvin jones hasnt been open much (and is the king of offensive pi) and their tight ends are useless.  would be nice to see some speed or a tight end who can stretch the field.

4) offensive line.  they spent big money on lang and wagner with limited return.  ragnow looks good.  decker looks average, which is fine.  but now lang is gone and they'll have to replace him.

5) new offensive coordinator.  cooter's time has gone.  the lions offense looks miles behind the best teams in the league.  ****, the fricking BEARS have an offensive guru now.  

i mean, any real wishlist starts with ownership, but we all know that's not going to happen.  i guess we're stuck with the notion that we can now be the patriots of the midwest.  good luck to us.  patricia has not impressed.

as for bob quinn, let's hope he continues to find good players in the draft and can actually decide to sign some good players in free agency this year.  that would be real helpful, because this group he brought in last year all sucked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Owner

One who fires everyone from the front office, the coaches, the players, the support staff, the vendors, the ushers, the parking attendants,  and then changes the stadium name, logo and team color scheme.  

Then that new owner needs to hold a hunger games type of event with all the season ticket holders..........hide weapons all over the stadium, televise the whole thing and the last person to live gets the grand prize..................to go home.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team needs to relocate so we can get an expansion franchise with a new owner and culture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

This team needs to relocate so we can get an expansion franchise with a new owner and culture.

I'd love to see that happen. Let this sink in for a minute: The Detroit Lions are the only non-expansion NFL team to never reach the Super Bowl.

Many of us watched the Bucs and Seahawks enter the league as laughingstocks. Both eventually won Super Bowls. We’ve seen 2 more expansion teams added in the 90s: Panthers (6 division championships, 9 playoff wins, 2 Super Bowl appearances), and the Jaguars (2 divisions championships, 7 playoff wins, reaching the AFC championship game 3 times). Even the Texans – playing only since 2002 – have managed to win 3 playoff games so far, and are 8-3 right now. And I'd argue the expansion Browns' time is coming.

We’ve watched the other three NFC North teams go from bad to good, back to bad, then rebuild into winners again. Over and over. All three have taken turns winning the division the last 25 years. And all three have either won the Super Bowl, made it to the Super Bowl, or at least reached the NFC championship game multiple times.

The Lions have had all the same chances and opportunities to achieve success as any other team. Yet they achieve nothing, year after year, decade after decade. The one constant has been the Fords.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That and the color scheme.

I neglected to mention: The other constant has been Bubbles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 2:33 PM, number20 said:

Others might assume sarcasm, but I'm actually not joking – and I don't think DT is either.

Biggest need, if I were to rank a wish list

 

 

 

This team will never do anything until someone else owns this team.

People say "well this is not going to happen" and they are right. But, it remains the most important need for this organization. So talking about all this other stuff, really is pretty silly. Us talking about all those other needs doesn't make them happen either. We all have known organizations that had terrible ownership, but despite that ownership had great people who worked hard. However, due to the horrible ownership, the efforts of those below them made it darn near impossible for them to flourish. That's the Lions. They almost got lucky once - 1991. They were one half away from a Super Bowl, had one of the greatest offensive talents this Earth has ever seen with Herman Moore as another option and a strong base to a young defense. Instead of moving forward they slowly fell back and haven't won a playoff game since.  They couldn't take what they had and make it better but instead crushed it and that's it. Winning a playoff game isn't that hard. Winning a division title isn't that hard. Bad teams "luck" themselves into doing those things occasionally. The Lions? 1-11 in the playoffs during the Super Bowl era, making the playoffs 11 times. Eleven times in 53 years? One win in 53 years? Really!?!  It's not about the quarterback. It's not about the defense. It's not about the draft. It's not about the speed of the linebackers. Well, sometimes those things can be an issue as well, but those are band aids for the real problem. Even if the Lions actually address some of these issues, ownership will assure they can't accomplish their ultimate goal - or even come reasonably close to whiffing that ultimate goal.


So talk about drafts, trenches and speed. Talk about coaches. Talk about all these other needs. They rank about a 2 on the scale of 1 to 10 why this team is where it is at. The huge 10 problem will assure there will always be too many problems for this organization to succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Euphdude said:

This team needs to relocate so we can get an expansion franchise with a new owner and culture.

Truthfully, this is probably the actual answer.

Because even if the Fords did want to sell the team to someone or some organization with the primary thought of being "who will help lead this team to a Super Bowl" they'd have no clue who that person is. They probably think they were doing it the right way all along and just got snake bit. The one thing we'd have going for us is that I'm sure $$$ would dictate who would purchase the team, so maybe the organization could "luck" itself into a better situation. Well, I guess anyone or anything would be better, but a reasonable owner who knows how to run an organization successfully.

But just having the team move to some place with the thought that maybe Detroit would get a new team in 3-5 years and start over from scratch - yup, that's probably the best answer anyone truly can come up with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we're full on ownership bashing...  one thing that sticks out when you look back on GM hires by the Fords: No prior experience. All first-timers. That’s not an indictment of someone’s potential (or unique to the Lions), but as an chronic practice it can be paralyzing – the organization suffers regressions as each inexperienced GM makes their mistakes learning a new job (unfortunately, some of them crippling). One rookie GM follows another… and fans have to endure the growing pains of the next guy’s learning curve all over again.

Worse than that... Russ Thomas was a Ford crony who should’ve been fired numerous times for poor performance. He was allowed to remain far too long (sound familiar?). Sticking stubbornly with his “next man up” hiring, who does Ford choose as Thomas’s replacement? Not Jerry Vainisi – who happened to be on the Lions staff at the time, but another crony: Chuck Schmidt. Russ Thomas’s accountant. And assistant (sound familiar?). At least Vainisi drafted Barry Sanders before he left the Lions.

Ford was at it again in the late 90s, trying to hire Millen – but didn’t because Ross rightfully blew a gasket. Ford eventually did it anyway – and we all know what happened. Meanwhile, Ron Hughes and Kevin Colbert leave for Pittsburgh and build 2 Super Bowl champions. Mayhew? He should’ve been jettisoned with Millen. This is just decades of Ford's radioactive decision-making. He had a purple thumb for hiring the right people. Whether Martha is any better still remains to be seen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, number20 said:

Since we're full on ownership bashing...

It's not even bashing. It's taking what they did and just honestly evaluating what the Fords have done, or more accurately haven't done.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They need NFL players, good NFL players, players who are good at playing pro football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:09 AM, number20 said:

I'd love to see that happen. Let this sink in for a minute: The Detroit Lions are the only non-expansion NFL team to never reach the Super Bowl.

Many of us watched the Bucs and Seahawks enter the league as laughingstocks. Both eventually won Super Bowls. We’ve seen 2 more expansion teams added in the 90s: Panthers (6 division championships, 9 playoff wins, 2 Super Bowl appearances), and the Jaguars (2 divisions championships, 7 playoff wins, reaching the AFC championship game 3 times). Even the Texans – playing only since 2002 – have managed to win 3 playoff games so far, and are 8-3 right now. And I'd argue the expansion Browns' time is coming.

We’ve watched the other three NFC North teams go from bad to good, back to bad, then rebuild into winners again. Over and over. All three have taken turns winning the division the last 25 years. And all three have either won the Super Bowl, made it to the Super Bowl, or at least reached the NFC championship game multiple times.

The Lions have had all the same chances and opportunities to achieve success as any other team. Yet they achieve nothing, year after year, decade after decade. The one constant has been the Fords.

1 playoff win in 61 years now.  That level of ineptitude will never be matched again as long as earth is still around and in any galaxy far far away when earth inevitably implodes.  We are witnessing something truly historical, something that will be mentioned centuries from now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I doubt anyone centuries from now will give a **** about the Lions.

Every other NFL team will have won a Super Bowl but us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 7:34 PM, Buddha said:

1) linebackers who have speed and can cover.  davis has speed but is too inconsistent right now.  you can see the talent but he just doesnt put it together.  since patricia was supposed to be a linebacker guru, you'd figure davis could get better.

everyone is clamoring for a pass rusher and they certainly could use one, but in this defense its as likely to come from a rush linebacker than a lineman.  

2) defensive back.  they have slay (who has not been good this year) and no one else.  diggs is ok, i guess.  quin is likely done.  tracy walker shows promise whenever they actually decide to play him.  but that's it.  everyone else is terrible and teez is actually the worst cornerback in the entire league.  they need someone who can cover.  anyone.  please.

3) receiver/playmaker.  a receiver who can get open would be nice.  galloway apparently doesnt need to be open because he makes nice circus catches (while dropping some easy ones).  but marvin jones hasnt been open much (and is the king of offensive pi) and their tight ends are useless.  would be nice to see some speed or a tight end who can stretch the field.

4) offensive line.  they spent big money on lang and wagner with limited return.  ragnow looks good.  decker looks average, which is fine.  but now lang is gone and they'll have to replace him.

5) new offensive coordinator.  cooter's time has gone.  the lions offense looks miles behind the best teams in the league.  ****, the fricking BEARS have an offensive guru now.  

i mean, any real wishlist starts with ownership, but we all know that's not going to happen.  i guess we're stuck with the notion that we can now be the patriots of the midwest.  good luck to us.  patricia has not impressed.

as for bob quinn, let's hope he continues to find good players in the draft and can actually decide to sign some good players in free agency this year.  that would be real helpful, because this group he brought in last year all sucked.

I agree with most all of this. I would add legit backup QB to this list though, either through the draft or free agency. Stafford has to be pushed and get some feeling that he could be benched and have his job taken away. Someone needs to be at his heels letting him know that this type of performance, at this level of paygrade is unacceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I agree with most all of this. I would add legit backup QB to this list though, either through the draft or free agency. Stafford has to be pushed and get some feeling that he could be benched and have his job taken away. Someone needs to be at his heels letting him know that this type of performance, at this level of paygrade is unacceptable.

I don't think Stafford needs to be pushed.

I think we need to draft a QB for the future though.

Not this year, IMO. All in to build a team around Stafford to get us to the playoffs. Either Quinn/ Patricia can do that, or they can't. Another bad year next year, and we should draft for the future. At QB I mean... and it might not be the current administration doing that drafting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Every other NFL team will have won a Super Bowl but us.

People centuries from now are not going to care about the NFL.

That was my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×