roarintiger1

The argument for Nick Castellanos

46 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Why so much concern over “the image” or “sending the wrong message”?

The fans already stopped watching and showing up this past season. People can threaten to walk away but they won’t. There will always be a base that shows up no matter what. I think we have hit that level already  

I think there is a difference between fans being less interested for a couple of years and fans becoming bitter because they think the Tigers are getting too cheap.  

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I am a fan of Castellanos.  I don't think he is that good, but he was their best hitter last year and I have enjoyed watching him develop. He is too good to non-tender and only a really cheap organization would do that.  I would hope they are not that cheap.  I can't see any other reason to do it other than saving money.  

because when the tigers sign bryce harper they will need to play him in right field.

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think there is a difference between fans being less interested for a couple of years and fans becoming bitter because they think the Tigers are getting too cheap.  

True, but they show up and buy their frozen daiquiri just the same. 

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Exactly.  And it isn't just fans.  If a player has 2 otherwise equal options, they are less likely to want to play for a team that is perceived as so cheap they would non-tender their 26 year old .850 ops who is set to make ~$10 mil

9 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

Exactly.  And it isn't just fans.  If a player has 2 otherwise equal options, they are less likely to want to play for a team that is perceived as so cheap they would non-tender their 26 year old .850 ops who is set to make ~$10 mil

Is there any evidence of something like this ever happening?

The tigers are spending 2 million on Matt Moore, so I don’t think we need to worry about them being perceived as cheap and scaring away all the free agents that hold equal offers from the tigers and Astros. 

Don’t sign that guaranteed contract with the tigers, Caden.  They non-tendered a guy once. 

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I have the unpopular perspective that trying for an improved draft spot is poor sportsmanship and bad for the sport.  We now have a situation where perhaps a dozen teams are tanking.  Not only is that bad for the sport as a whole, it also makes it less likely that a re-building team will reach their goal of a high pick.  

While it might be unpopular, I don't think it is incorrect.

42 minutes ago, Buddha said:

because when the tigers sign bryce harper they will need to play him in right field.

Who is blocking him in CF?

8 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Who is blocking him in CF?

that rule 5 guy we took last year.  he has lots of potential...

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

that rule 5 guy we took last year.  he has lots of potential...

He'll be in Toledo.

By the universal yard stick of being a “trade asset” Nick is not a remarkable asset and thus worthless. But in the particular situation that is the Detroit Tigers he is a worthy asset because the Tigers suck.

I just now resolved the traditional philosophical contradiction between the universal and the particular by simultaneously honoring both the concept of the universal as well as the reality of the particular. You’re welcome. 

39 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I just now resolved the traditional philosophical contradiction between the universal and the particular by simultaneously honoring both the concept of the universal as well as the reality of the particular. You’re welcome. 

What took you so long?

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I am a fan of Castellanos.  I don't think he is that good, but he was their best hitter last year and I have enjoyed watching him develop. He is too good to non-tender and only a really cheap organization would do that.  I would hope they are not that cheap.  I can't see any other reason to do it other than saving money.  

And he seems like a good kid.   I know  I'm old fashioned but that means something to me.   He's no Lenny Dykstra.

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

The tigers are spending 2 million on Matt Moore, so I don’t think we need to worry about them being perceived as cheap and scaring away all the free agents that hold equal offers from the tigers and Astros. 

Signing Matt Moore definitely changes my whole outlook about the franchise. 😉

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Signing Matt Moore definitely changes my whole outlook about the franchise. 😉

As a wild pitch aficionado it's not surprising that you'd be excited over signing a man that once led the league. 

13 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I thought Mahtook was?

Everyone knows that Jake Jones has a stranglehold on CF for years to come. Daz can try to take it from him, but he will fail. Fortunately, right field will be open soon. 

10 hours ago, Shelton said:

Is there any evidence of something like this ever happening?

Does there have to be evidence for someone to find it plausible?

When is the parade celebrating Matt Moore’s signing scheduled for? I might fly into Detroit for it if I can get a cheap flight. 

9 hours ago, Yoda said:

Does there have to be evidence for someone to find it plausible?

Yes.

Before we can find evidence, we need an example of a team non-tendering a 26 year old coming off a 3 WAR season.  

• Like 1