roarintiger1

The argument for Nick Castellanos

8 minutes ago, Shelton said:

He’s worthless in trade value and the team isn’t going to be competitive this year. It’s the same reasoning for non-tendering McCann (who sucks).

As for nick, I would rather see mahtook play right field.

This is easily your worst post ever.

• Like 1

Just now, Casimir said:

He didn't say he'd rather see Mahtook hit.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

I can confirm. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LooseGoose said:

He didn't say he'd rather see Mahtook hit.

OK, I can concede that point.

14 minutes ago, Shelton said:

He’s worthless in trade value and the team isn’t going to be competitive this year. It’s the same reasoning for non-tendering McCann (who sucks).

There will be plenty of at bats to go around between outfield and DH.  There will be injuries and slumps and any one of their outfielders could fail so bad that they earn a trip back to the minors.  There has to be a better reason to non-tender Castellanos than Mahtook being blocked.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Has a team ever non-tendered its best player?  

2017 Tigers - Bruce Rondon

10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

There will be plenty of at bats to go around between outfield and DH.  There will be injuries and slumps and any one of their outfielders could fail so bad that they earn a trip back to the minors.  There has to be a better reason to non-tender Castellanos than Mahtook being blocked.  

I didn’t say mahtook being blocked was the reason. 

If castellanos was a free agent, I wouldn’t sign him to a one year deal to play for the tigers this year. He isn’t good enough to want to preserve control for future years. I don’t care if the team is marginally less entertaining without him. With or without him, they are going to suck  

35 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yeah, ummm...

I'm not certain that's the path I would choose.

Actually... most definitely NOT.

15 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Yeah, ummm...

I'm not certain that's the path I would choose.

Actually... most definitely NOT.

What’s the benefit of having castellanos under contract for 2019?

Just now, Shelton said:

an .850-ish OPS? 4.7-ish WAR?

We traded Leonys Martin for Willi Castro, who looks like a decent prospect. And JD was traded for Lugo, Alcantara & King... who might all  turn into nothing... but at least Avila tried.

Your solution is to... dump him. For absolutely nothing?

Totally lacking in any logic whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

He's a big enough fan favorite to impact ticket and merchandise sales.  

6 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

He's a big enough fan favorite to impact ticket and merchandise sales.  

Is he, though?

7 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

an .850-ish OPS? 4.7-ish WAR?

We traded Leonys Martin for Willi Castro, who looks like a decent prospect. And JD was traded for Lugo, Alcantara & King... who might all  turn into nothing... but at least Avila tried.

Your solution is to... dump him. For absolutely nothing?

Totally lacking in any logic whatsoever.

4.7ish WAR!

how on earth did you come up with that?

if he’s a 4-5 war player, then by all means we should hang on to him. 

I could say a mean thing back to you but I won’t. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

Is he, though?

Yes, I would say so.  Who else would you want to go and see?  

1 minute ago, bobrob2004 said:

Yes, I would say so.  Who else would you want to go and see?  

Sorry, I don’t believe there is a single fan out there not related to nick castellanos who says “boy, I wasn’t planning to go to see the tigers, but I can’t miss out on a chance to go see nick castellanos play in person.”

But to answer your question, I would want to go and watch Jeimer, Cabrera, Fulmer, Boyd, and even Stewart and Jones and Norris more than I would want to go see castellanos. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

Sorry, I don’t believe there is a single fan out there not related to nick castellanos who says “boy, I wasn’t planning to go to see the tigers, but I can’t miss out on a chance to go see nick castellanos play in person.”

But to answer your question, I would want to go and watch Jeimer, Cabrera, Fulmer, Boyd, and even Stewart and Jones and Norris more than I would want to go see castellanos. 

Fair enough.  I would think that most fans would want to go see the best player on the team rather than those guys that you mentioned.  But to each their own.  

22 minutes ago, Shelton said:

1. The possibility of a big first half which might increase his trade value a bit.  

2. Entertainment.

I don't see any benefit to not having him under contract next year.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

oddly enough, if you believe UZR is no worse than RDS, then Nick wasn't as bad a 3b as RF, and in fact was a good enough 3b that I think most teams would take a 130 OPS+ (assuming he can do that) with a minus ~4-8  glove. I get the impression there was some feeling he regressed at 3rd in '17 as compared to '16 and they just pulled the plug since they had traded for Candelario. That was the right decision for Candelario but may have actually reduced Nick's trade value to the organization.

1 minute ago, bobrob2004 said:

Fair enough.  I would think that most fans would want to go see the best player on the team rather than those guys that you mentioned.  But to each their own.  

I don’t believe he is the best player on the team, clearly. He may have been their best player last year (although I think that’s arguable), but I don’t believe he will even be in the top 3 this upcoming year (Cabrera, jeimer, fulmer). 

Just now, Shelton said:

I don’t believe he is the best player on the team, clearly. He may have been their best player last year (although I think that’s arguable), but I don’t believe he will even be in the top 3 this upcoming year (Cabrera, jeimer, fulmer). 

Jeimer's wrist condition is big unknown. I wouldn't argue he has the skill to be a good big league hitter, but he won't realize that if the wrist won't stay right.

12 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I would be entertained by Cabrera the most if he were healthy, but I am not confident he will be.  The rest of them I don't find particularly entertaining.  I hope Stewart can be as good as Castellanos was last year.  I guess Jones is entertaining defensively.  The group that comes up in 2020 could potentially be a lot more entertaining, but I am not excited about 2019.  It's not about one guy though.  For 2019, it would be more fun for to watch if Cabrera, Castellanos and one other surprise player hit for a .850 OPS for a full season.  I don't expect that, but I would expect it less without Castellanos.

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

1. The possibility of a big first half which might increase his trade value a bit.  

2. Entertainment.

I don't see any benefit to not having him under contract next year.  

1. Perhaps. Although he was and is untradeable following his career year with the bat, and with less team control than last year, so I don’t see that as being all that likely. 

2. I don’t think the entertainment level of the team is substantially impacted either way. 

From the team’s perspective (and they are the one that would be making this decision), the benefit of not having under contract is a slightly worse record and an improved draft spot, plus a savings of over 10 million dollars. 

23 minutes ago, Shelton said:

4.7ish WAR!

how on earth did you come up with that?

if he’s a 4-5 war player, then by all means we should hang on to him. 

I could say a mean thing back to you but I won’t. 

I should have stated O-WAR. 

Obviously his defense sucks and drops the overall significantly...

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I would be entertained by Cabrera the most if he were healthy, but I am not confident he will be.  The rest of them I don't find particularly entertaining.  I hope Stewart can be as good as Castellanos was last year.  I guess Jones is entertaining defensively.  The group that comes up in 2020 could potentially be a lot more entertaining, but I am not excited about 2019.  It's not about one guy though.  For 2019, it would be more fun for to watch if Cabrera, Castellanos and one other surprise player hit for a .850 OPS for a full season.  I don't expect that, but I would expect it less without Castellanos.

Who can forget the excitement of Nick castellanos and his pursuit of the 850 ops back in 2018.