roarintiger1

The argument for Nick Castellanos

An "underrated" part of Nick's bad defense is how terrible he is at cutting off would be singles.  There were so many times a ball was hit and I was just conditioned to think it would be a single only for him to take a terrible angle to it and watch it go in the gap by him for extra bases.

Raburn was a better outfielder than Castellanos.  Young was pretty bad though.

Castellanos “led” all MLB RF with a -19 DRS last year. Harper was second at -16. 

To be fair, Nick played a full season in RF, so there may have been some other guys that could have beat that number if they played a full year in RF. Maybe they didn’t because they were awful and their teams didn’t send them out there. 

I hope he is traded soon. 

The only 1 I remember was 1 like many OF have had before.....running leap with arm over head...crash into wall...ball slips out of web over the wall when crash and catch happen almost simultaneously. Nothing like the famous Raburn clunker for a HR. Is there another 1?

The White Sox had to nontender Garcia because he was having an affair with Abreu's wife.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

An "underrated" part of Nick's bad defense is how terrible he is at cutting off would be singles.  There were so many times a ball was hit and I was just conditioned to think it would be a single only for him to take a terrible angle to it and watch it go in the gap by him for extra bases.

However, I actually think he is better side to side cutting off balls to his right than JD was. Which is not to say anything positive about Nick's glove, but JD was really horrible his last year here.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Didn’t nick have a ball go off his glove for a home run this past season?

I thought it happened more than once, but then again my mind is going.

8 hours ago, tiger337 said:

The White Sox had to nontender Garcia because he was having an affair with Abreu's wife.  

i remember listening to chicago sports radio and they were so excited to get the next miguel cabrera.  haha sux fans.

15 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Raburn was a better outfielder than Castellanos.  Young was pretty bad though.

Raburn and Nick do share the trait of making their misplays more spectacular than average.

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Raburn and Nick do share the trait of making their misplays more spectacular than average.

I do think Raburn's defensive liability was overstated a bit due to what seemed like what you describe.

I want to say that Raburn is the better defender.  More range, better reads, probably somewhat similar arms.  It'd be interesting to see scouting grades on their defense.