Jump to content

roarintiger1

The argument for Nick Castellanos

Recommended Posts

Anyone have an argument on whether or not the Tigers should look to trade Nick?

I personally think that the Tigers should extend his contract and build the team around him.

What say you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they should explore trading him because he doesn't have a position.  If they can't get much for him (which I suspect will be the case), I hope they extend him.  I don't think you can build a team around him, but he hits well enough where he has entertainment value and this team does not have much of that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather trade Nick than commit an expensive long term contract to him.  He's a DH-in-waiting and won't fetch much via trade, but it's better than tying up a big chuck of payroll to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they could have traded him for any reasonable return, I assume they would have already done so.

Not sure you can "build around" a bat only, stone gloved, lead footed slugger who plays half his games at Comerica, when Miggy is moving to full time DH sooner rather than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, tough position with Nick. Everyone knows he can be had in trade. Hopefully  AA has a reasonable asking price. I would not deal him for peanuts. If we can't get at least one good prospect - and that is hard to believe since we got one for Martin - hang onto him and hope his bat goes next level in 19. At that point, you can trade him for a better return or feel more comfortable offering him the QO, knowing he's likely to reject. And if he has a down year? Well, the team has not lost much anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

If they could have traded him for any reasonable return, I assume they would have already done so.

Not sure you can "build around" a bat only, stone gloved, lead footed slugger who plays half his games at Comerica, when Miggy is moving to full time DH sooner rather than later.

this.

I still hold out hope he can be traded for something of value though. My guess is at the 2019 trade deadline...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think they should explore trading him because he doesn't have a position.  If they can't get much for him (which I suspect will be the case), I hope they extend him.  I don't think you can build a team around him, but he hits well enough where he has entertainment value and this team does not have much of that.  

I certainly can't argue about exploring what they could get for him in a trade.   But........the Tigers need get some stability and they really need to build a team around someone besides Cabrera.   Not sure if building around Nick will be the answer, but it's a start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

I certainly can't argue about exploring what they could get for him in a trade.   But........the Tigers need get some stability and they really need to build a team around someone besides Cabrera.   Not sure if building around Nick will be the answer, but it's a start.

No, not Nick.

Build around Paredes, Cameron, Jeimer, Willi Castro and Stewart (aside from Cabrera), in the short-term. And around Fulmer/ Mize/ Manning/ Perez. And around Joe Jimenez.

Obviously I'm looking to the future with that statement...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep Nick and use him as a piece for the future.  Worry about the contract next year.  If it makes sense trade him next year at the deadline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd note that TB DFA'd CJ Cron, who hit 30 HR with a 123 OPS this year and was expected to make 5 mil in arb. Now, he's pretty much a DH only/1b sub but...

Nick's numbers were not far off. 23 HR and a 130 OPS. We stick him in RF, but he's hard to watch out there. He's going to make around 11mil post arb, I believe.

Nick will spend all of next year at 27 while Cron is 29, but it does help temper my already low expectations of what we could expected in return for Castellanos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick will be lucky to sign a contract that pays more than 10 per year. 

He’s not a guy to build around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are talking about a guy that has had one good season, but, on the other hand, he is entering his prime.

I have no issue with a three year deal at reasonable money (I'd have no issue with $10 per as suggested above).  Beyond that, no.

Given what JD fetched 16-odd months ago on the trade market, I can't imagine Nick would fetch anything worthwhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Not sure you can "build around" a bat only, stone gloved, lead footed slugger who plays half his games at Comerica,

I know this is the assumption with him, but he actually runs rather well, around 28 ft/sec per statcast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Longgone said:

I know this is the assumption with him, but he actually runs rather well, around 28 ft/sec per statcast.

Fast or slow, he is a bad fielder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, roarintiger1 said:

I certainly can't argue about exploring what they could get for him in a trade.   But........the Tigers need get some stability and they really need to build a team around someone besides Cabrera.   Not sure if building around Nick will be the answer, but it's a start.

The Tigers need to build a team that makes sense. That means a team that fits Ron Gardenhire's strategy of small ball and defense. He said so himself just a month ago or so.  Nick Castellanos does fit that strategy. Neither does Christin Stewart, who should also be traded. However, Avila is going through the motions of first establishing Stewart as a MLB player, gaining value, and then hopefully trading him instead of being creative and trading a prospect for another prospect, something that can be done.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

 being creative and trading a prospect for another prospect, something that can be done.  

It pains me to see solid ideas like this wasted on message boards.    Write Avila and clue him in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see Castellanos breaking the bank long term given his defense.

An OF featuring Castellanos and Stewart on the corners is frightful.  Or is it frightening?  Not sure which form of fright to use there.  One of the two in the field would be tolerable, but they are likely to be using both at the same time in 2019.  Some sort of rotation of these two and Cabrera around DH/COF/1B with another glove in there.  Heck, Deuce could'of been that 4th/bench guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Non-tender castellanos.

After 2019?  I can see that.  It won't be popular, but I can see it.  The Cabrera contract extension rears its ugly head again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Casimir said:

After 2019?  I can see that.  It won't be popular, but I can see it.  The Cabrera contract extension rears its ugly head again.

Now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

What's the reasoning here...?

He’s worthless in trade value and the team isn’t going to be competitive this year. It’s the same reasoning for non-tendering McCann (who sucks).

As for nick, I would rather see mahtook play right field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

He’s worthless in trade value and the team isn’t going to be competitive this year. It’s the same reasoning for non-tendering McCann (who sucks).

As for nick, I would rather see mahtook play right field.

You really want boring games, don't you? Nick will have more value overall. It's not my money. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×