Motor City Sonics

Game 11 Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions: Happy Thanksgiving

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I saw a stat on twitter that said that no Lions receiver is in the top 100 in the creating separation stat.   Not sure if that is a JBC thing or the receivers but that is yet another thing that needs to be addressed on this team.     Personally I think it has more to do with JBC, I don't want to pile on the coaching but he just seems so behind the times, I watch other teams and there is so much pre snap motion to try to disrupt or confuse the defense on top of making it easier for receivers to get open.  The Lions on the other hand are just so damn static relative to everybody else.  

Ebron is top 10.

Tate is #53 (most of the year with the Lions).

Golladay is #103.

Antonio Brown is #84.

Julio Jones is #85.

I believe it's a combination of things. A receiver that is always or almost always doubled (like Jones or Brown) won't get as much separation as a player often in one-on-one coverage, and who is able to usually beat his man coverage (why Ebron and Tate are so high, they can beat who usually covers them, and they're usually going against single-man rather than double teams...). Also, If you have a few excellent receivers, it's harder to double or easier to create mismatches and therefore get that separation. Putting Ebron with Tate with Riddick with Marvin with Golladay is going to get SOMEONE wide open.

We don't have that set of WR's at this point in time. So I don't blame Stafford for the WR situation. I do blame him for being average, not elite... but nothing we can do about that.

OC might also play a part... but I think it's the group of receivers one works with more-so than an OC's scheme.

15 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Here's my take:

I don't see Stafford as anything different, whatsoever, than Eli Manning.

Nothing spectacular, but better than average. Manning won two Super Bowls. Not because he was an elite QB. But because he had a sharp coach that built a tough defense and a tough running game. And Manning could be good enough to game-manage/ win those games. Manning's no slouch QB. He's just never been elite.

That's where I'm at with Stafford. He's not taking us anywhere. It's up to Patricia/ Quinn to build a tremendous defense, and a solid running game. Up to Patricia to outsmart the other team's coaches. And up to the right OC to build an offensive game plan that Stafford can win with.

I don't think we've ever had that complete of a team. Not certain yet if Patricia/ Quinn can get us there... so far... Fail.

But I'm willing to give those 3 a few more years (until it makes sense $$-wise to dump Stafford & start over) to see if they can figure it out.

I agree with most of this. I'm just not sold on the idea that Stafford can get it done in the playoffs like Manning did. Maybe (hopefully) I am wrong on that and it was just take an improved defense and a better OC to deliver on that.

Drew Brees threw 4 TDs to undrafted slow White guys who wouldn't sniff any starting lineup if the good players were healthy.

All this separation crap and bla bla bla is all BS.

The QB make the WR and the players around them better.

Who the F has Rogers or Brady thrown to over the year???? Gave Brady one good WR and he set every record imaginable.

All the O lines are similar - they are all stars - Get rid of the Fing ball and you won't be sacked over and over again.

Sorry about the Rant but I'm so over stafford and I've loved him for years

Is Stafford = Brees/ Peyton Manning/ Brady/ Rodgers?

Or is Stafford = Eli Manning/ Joe Flacco/ Matt Ryan?

Because... that's the point.

11 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Is Stafford = Brees/ Peyton Manning/ Brady/ Rodgers?

Or is Stafford = Eli Manning/ Joe Flacco/ Matt Ryan?

Because... that's the point.

He's none of them.   The second group have won playoff games.   They aren't great, but they were good when they needed to be.  

1 hour ago, kgeorge78 said:

Drew Brees threw 4 TDs to undrafted slow White guys who wouldn't sniff any starting lineup if the good players were healthy.

All this separation crap and bla bla bla is all BS.

The QB make the WR and the players around them better.

Who the F has Rogers or Brady thrown to over the year???? Gave Brady one good WR and he set every record imaginable.

All the O lines are similar - they are all stars - Get rid of the Fing ball and you won't be sacked over and over again.

Sorry about the Rant but I'm so over stafford and I've loved him for years

Brady, Brees, and Rodgers are superbly accurate and can hit well-covered receivers by putting the ball into tiny windows where the receivers can catch them but the defenders can't.  They have many other positive characteristics that Stafford doesn't, as well.  But I think that the accuracy thing is the most important one in terms of getting great production out of less-than-great receivers. 

Stafford is certainly much more like Eli Manning, Flacco, and Ryan than he is like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, or Peyton Manning.  But he isn't like any of them in the sense that with the exception of Ryan they have all won Super Bowls, and even Ryan has been to one.

9 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Brady, Brees, and Rodgers are superbly accurate and can hit well-covered receivers by putting the ball into tiny windows where the receivers can catch them but the defenders can't.  They have many other positive characteristics that Stafford doesn't, as well.  But I think that the accuracy thing is the most important one in terms of getting great production out of less-than-great receivers. 

Yep but many of these no name receivers are still getting separation and I still believe schemes and coaching play a big part of it.  These no name WRs are still NFL caliber athletes, a good scheme and route can easily make up for the fraction of a second less 40 time or couple inches in height that made them "no name receivers" to begin with.   

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yep but many of these no name receivers are still getting separation and I still believe schemes and coaching play a big part of it.  These no name WRs are still NFL caliber athletes, a good scheme and route can easily make up for the fraction of a second less 40 time or couple inches in height that made them "no name receivers" to begin with.   

Yes, good schemes can get receivers open, and the Lions have no good schemes --  except the nefarious ones that they use to con gullible fans into continuing to buy tickets and merchandise.

Brees is so good because he leads the receiver perfectly. The ball is always where they can run into it, right on the hands. Nearly every time. It really maximizes yards after catch. 

This is where Stafford struggles. I really don't think the Lions futility is totally his fault, or even mostly, but there are so many times every game where the ball is thrown behind the receiver resulting in a short gain where a well thrown ball is at worst, a first down. 

11 minutes ago, wolverinefan said:

Brees is so good because he leads the receiver perfectly. The ball is always where they can run into it, right on the hands. Nearly every time. It really maximizes yards after catch. 

This is where Stafford struggles. I really don't think the Lions futility is totally his fault, or even mostly, but there are so many times every game where the ball is thrown behind the receiver resulting in a short gain where a well thrown ball is at worst, a first down. 

No, it's not totally his fault.  Not even close to totally being his fault.   But he is a decent sized chunk of it and he's paid to be a very good quarterback.   He's simply average with flashes of very good.   I actually heard someone mention potential on the radio today.   Potential?  He's 30.   

6 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He's none of them.   The second group have won playoff games.   They aren't great, but they were good when they needed to be.  

And they had better teams/ running games/ defenses/ head coaches around them than has Stafford.

21 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I watched the game film, he threw a pick six right to the Bears defender. I watched the Jets game, the 49'ers game, the Seahawks game, the Cowboys game . . . 

If the Lions started the backup QB next game, all of you Stafford haters would have to shut up. You would see the problem isn't him and the changes that need to be made run much deeper.

I actually predicted that pick 6 in the first quarter. I said if the Lions kept dumping the ball off, eventually a DB would sit on the route and make a pick. Sure enough, it happened.

The blame for that play rests right on Stafford. And Cooter. But also, give the Bears defense some credit.  They are one of the best defenses in the league for a reason. They make plays and this is yet another smart play they made. I'm just surprised it took them so long...

This chart is basically a schematic for how a pick 6 is made.

lj61ymbcbfzgzi9obleb.jpg

On 11/24/2018 at 9:46 AM, Sports_Freak said:

If the Lions started the backup QB next game, all of you Stafford haters would have to shut up.

Yeah, I would shut up, because our backup QB isn't being paid $29 million/per, our starting QB is. Excuse me if I elevate the bar a lot higher for the starter whose been in the league going on a full decade and gets paid $29 million/per.

Eric Ebron has 11 receiving touchdowns and 1 rushing touchdown this season. 

They leave here and become great.  

Lions and Michigan football.................kicking their fans in the nuts yearly.  

Peter King says Jacksonville should trade a 1st and 4th to Detroit for Statthew Padford. If he is traded this offseason, the Lions see an immediate cap hit of $49 million. So it's not going to happen.

25 minutes ago, kdog said:

Peter King says Jacksonville should trade a 1st and 4th to Detroit for Statthew Padford. If he is traded this offseason, the Lions see an immediate cap hit of $49 million. So it's not going to happen.

that's the profit on something like 10,000 F150s.

9 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Everyone knows.  Nobody cares.

Why bother?     Michigan Football / Lions football.............same thing.   Never win the big games.   Never win the division.  Talk Talk Talk.   I am getting so much more done on Sundays now. 

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why bother?     Michigan Football / Lions football.............same thing.   Never win the big games.   Never win the division.  Talk Talk Talk.   I am getting so much more done on Sundays now. 

Lying cat gif