Tenacious D

2019 MLB Hall of Fame

On 11/22/2018 at 9:19 AM, 84 Lives!!! said:

They should build a Hall of Shame near the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. It would draw.

Black Sox, Shoeless Joe, Pete Rose, Bonds, Clemens... Could call it the Bad Boys Hall... Gambling in the 1800's through until Kennesaw Mountain Landis, his efforts to clean up the game. Racial animus. Lots of interesting aspects of the game it could highlight...

Including putting positive spin on some of these negatives... what great players were Shoeless Joe, Rose Bonds & Clemens & others... McGwire vs. Sosa's race that reignited interest in the game, the efforts to break the color barrier after all the previous bigotry, the job Landis did to try and clean up the game, etc...

Gambling and steroid usage are not the same. One is clearly far, far worse than the other.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 10:39 AM, tiger337 said:

Also, when we are talking about the Hall of Fame, we shouldn't use the term Dingers.  Not dignified enough for historical discussions!

How about “jacks”?

”Bombs?”

”Big flies”?

”Taters?”

”Dongs”? Hey! Can we refer to them as “dongs”?

On 11/22/2018 at 10:43 AM, 1776 said:

In my opinion Bonds and other named players cheated. I’ll never see it differently. I’m old school and I can’t accept how Maris’ single season HR record was broken by a cheater. The integrity of the game was compromised by these clowns.

Funny you should say: in 1961, people couldn’t accept how Ruth’s single season HR record could be broken by a flat-topped nobody whose name didn’t start with “Mickey” and didn’t end with “Mantle”.

On 11/26/2018 at 11:11 AM, bobrob2004 said:

No, he shouldn't.  It's not the "Hall of Numbers," it's the "Hall of Fame."  Just putting up numbers is not good enough (at least for me).  If a player tarnishes his playing career by taking steroids, I would not vote for him, regardless if he takes them for one day or for 10 years. A Hall of Famer, at least in my opinion, gets held up to a higher standard than the average player.  Someone who takes the integrity, sportsmanship, and character clause seriously.

We all know who has the best numbers. We can easily look them up.  We don't need a Hall of Fame to tell us that.  Therefore, the Hall of Fame should be reserved for just the elite players.  The best of the best, not only in numbers, but also in character. 

I realize I may only have like 5 players in my Hall of Fame, but so what?  It's my Hall of Fame.  

If you think only five guys deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, then your conversations about the Hall of Fame must be super short.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If you think only five guys deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, then your conversations about the Hall of Fame must be super short.

What's with this 5? Cobb, Ruth, Gehringer. That's it baby.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, chasfh said:

How about “jacks”?

”Bombs?”

”Big flies”?

”Taters?”

”Dongs”? Hey! Can we refer to them as “dongs”?

I'll accept bombs.  

57 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Gambling and steroid usage are not the same. One is clearly far, far worse than the other.

Not even comparable.  

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

Guys that juiced are taking a credibility hit. It’s costing them.

What if guys that juiced are already in the HoF?

54 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's the point. 

18 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Not even comparable.  

My mind goes numb whenever someone says that Rose should be in and Bonds and Clemens kept out.

33 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

We won’t get to the same page on this one. I know your point and I can respect it. However, I disagree with it. 😉

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Bonds and Clemens are eventually going to get in.  Its only a matter of time.  That'll open the gates for the rest of the Roiders currently being blackballed. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

OK, see ya round! :laugh: 

There are far more interesting baseball discussions than talking about someone's Hall of Fame worthiness.