Halladay

Edgar

Mussina

Rivera

Rolen

Schilling

Walker

No Sosa?

The Hall of Fame is now a total joke.  Harold Baines?

I wrote in a thread last year about Eddie Murray simply hanging around 7 or 8 years to rack up some stats to get the numbers to get in the hall of fame.

Harold Baines just played a long time and put up average to slightly above average numbers.  Just hanging around and racking up numbers.  He hit more than 25 homers one time in his career, hit over .315 one time, had 100 rbi's three times, never finished higher than 9th in MVP voting, he only led the league in one category one time slg in 1984.  22 years in the MLB.  He was never a bad player, but he was never a top player either.  He never received more than 10% on the vote when he was on the ballot.  

If you play 20 years and you are decent should you just automatically get into the hall of fame?

Harold Baines is a hall of famer yet Barry Bonds is not.  What a complete joke.

11 hours ago, gmoney said:

Harold Baines is a hall of famer yet Barry Bonds is not.  What a complete joke.

I agree, there is a lack of credibility.  The players with the most hits and home runs in baseball aren't in the hall of fame and then Harold Baines gets in? Harold getting in was just politics. His buddies voted him in. Just another credibility issue baseball has.

56 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I wonder what numbers LaRussa is referring to?

All of them. 

Apparently HoF enshrinement should be based upon who-you-know and not upon how great you weren't.  Thus, numbers that clearly do not qualify a player for Hall of Fame should be ignored. 

I just heard the LaRussa interview.  He was using GWRBI and "I played the game so I know" as his defense for Baines.  I know LaRussa is not that dumb.  He is just sticking up for his friend.  

53 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I just heard the LaRussa interview.  He was using GWRBI and "I played the game so I know" as his defense for Baines.  I know LaRussa is not that dumb.  He is just sticking up for his friend.  

Larussa was on the committee right?

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Larussa was on the committee right?

yes, you are right, so I guess he really is that dumb.  

Roberto Alomar, Bert Blyleven, Pat Gillick, Tony La Russa, Greg Maddux, Joe Morgan, John Schuerholz, Ozzie Smith, and Joe Torre; major league executives Al Avila, Paul Beeston, Andy MacPhail, and Jerry Reinsdorf; and media members/baseball historians Steve Hirdt, Tim Kurkjian, and Claire Smith.  

<QUOTE> ""He was one of the best players of his time, and I think that's what the Hall of Fame is about," said Jim Leyland, who was third-base coach on the Sox's '83 team. "I think during those years he played with the White Sox, he was a player that everybody talked about. He was one of the guys that was at the head of the class. Where did you rank during your era? He ranks very high, I would think."" <UNQUOTE>

https://www.mlb.com/news/harold-baines-considered-for-hall-of-fame/c-209342764

Even though he did not have an official vote in the election ..apparently Jim Leyland also believed Harold Baines is HoF worthy.  And naturally, ..since 75% of all living baseball people believe everything Jim Leyland says, ..then it was totally predictable that Harold was going to get elected.

That's OK if Leyland thinks Baines belongs.  Leyland always had a high emotional intelligence.  He knew how to deal with players and was respected for that.  He never claimed to be an intellectual.  LaRussa, on the other hand, thinks he is a genius, so he is open to criticism.  

12 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

That's OK if Leyland thinks Baines belongs.  Leyland always had a high emotional intelligence.  He knew how to deal with players and was respected for that.  He never claimed to be an intellectual.  LaRussa, on the other hand, thinks he is a genius, so he is open to criticism.  

LaRussa wreaks of genius! Jimmy is just a po’ boy from Ohio. Jimmy wanted to win WS in both leagues like Tony LaGenius. He failed...miserably.

15 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Jim just wants in too. Really bad.

11 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Jim just wants in too. Really bad.

When is Leyland eligible as a manager ..or is he already eligible?

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

On the plus side, Jack Morris isn't the most recent questionable pick.

^^^^^^^^ True.

11 hours ago, tiger337 said:

A Joe Carter induction would be the best twitter fight ever.  

larussa wants his im because he had a lot of game winning rbis.

• Like 1

Guys that juiced are taking a credibility hit. It’s costing them.