Gehringer_2

UM B-Ball 18-19

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It's going to be LaVall Jordan.    Book It.   

This would be the most unbelievable coaching resume in history.  

He got the Butler job that after only 1 year at UW-Milwaukee where they went 11-24.  He lucked into that based solely on being an alum and chummy with the AD.

He’s only spent 2 years at Butler and has won a single tourney game.  They finished 16-17 and got dumped first round NIT last year.   

Could it happen again where he falls upward after losing season twice in under 4 years based solely on past connections?  

Sure, but this would be an awkward first hire on the job for Warde Manuel.  I’d assume the only way this would be possible is if a few other top choices turned them down but who knows.

LaVall Jordon gives me Brian Ellerbe / Tommy Amaker vibe, and his hiring would be underwhelming.

25 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This would be the most unbelievable coaching resume in history.  

He got the Butler job that after only 1 year at UW-Milwaukee where they went 11-24.  He lucked into that based solely on being an alum and chummy with the AD.

He’s only spent 2 years at Butler and has won a single tourney game.  They finished 16-17 and got dumped first round NIT last year.   

Could it happen again where he falls upward after losing season twice in under 4 years based solely on past connections?  

Sure, but this would be an awkward first hire on the job for Warde Manuel.  I’d assume the only way this would be possible is if a few other top choices turned them down but who knows.

Yeah, I’d be pretty disappointed if that happened. If they can’t pry a legit coach away, I want them to give the job to yaklich. 

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

I think it would be underwhelming.  Fife working under Izzo for the past eight years would make it an awkward hire as well.

I agree with all of that, saw it floated somewhere this morning - it might have been his Dad putting up the balloon.

It would add a new dimension to the rivalry.

5 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I agree with all of that, saw it floated somewhere this morning - it might have been his Dad putting up the balloon.

It would add a new dimension to the rivalry.

I don’t think you can go from MSU to M or vice versa. At least not directly. 

8 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t think you can go from MSU to M or vice versa. At least not directly. 

I think an assistant is perfectly free and acceptable to go to any HC gig, regardless of any rivalry. The magnitude of the career opportunity trumps all the other stuff.

if you think dane fife is going to be a great head coach then you hire him.

i suspect a lot of agents will be dropping the ol "michigan is interested in X" to get their clients a nice little raise this year.

if you can hire bo schembechler from the woody hayes tree then you can hire someone from the tom izzo tree.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Yeah, I’d be pretty disappointed if that happened. If they can’t pry a legit coach away, I want them to give the job to yaklich. 

either yaklich or jordan would be a disappointment.  the timing of this really hurt michigan but manuel said he was prepared for it after beilein interviewed with the pistons last year.

we'll see just how prepared he is in the next few weeks.

I'd be in favor of an interim HC for a year if Manuel can't find the right person.  I'd rather cut losses for a year than settle on a mistake that would take years to recover from.

58 minutes ago, Buddha said:

if you can hire bo schembechler from the woody hayes tree then you can hire someone from the tom izzo tree.

Honestly there really isn't much on the Izzo tree that I'd be interested in.  We've debated this on other boards (Izzo successor), my favorite would be Stephens based mostly on the fact the he gets the Draymond endorsement.  But he's an MSU lifer so I don't see him leaving.  The only other coach that's had some success elsewhere is Crean and he does have the Harbaugh connection but I really don't see that happening either.

Ben Howland would seem to make some sense for UM.   

If we are going for big name coaches then Chris Beard is the top choice in my book as he is a great coach and would have the Michigan brand behind him for recruiting. Pair him with Yaklich and this team would be an absolute defensive monster! Mike Hopkins from Washington, if he would move from way out west to the midwest, would be another interesting name as he has turned Washington into a Pac 10 powerhouse.

20 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If we are going for big name coaches then Chris Beard is the top choice in my book as he is a great coach and would have the Michigan brand behind him for recruiting. Pair him with Yaklich and this team would be an absolute defensive monster! Mike Hopkins from Washington, if he would move from way out west to the midwest, would be another interesting name as he has turned Washington into a Pac 10 powerhouse.

I know most people outside Ann Arbor will think it's absurd, but don't think for one minute the fact that someone like Beard has a post grad degree doesn't make him more attractive to the UM Admin. 

18 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I know most people outside Ann Arbor will think it's absurd, but don't think for one minute the fact that someone like Beard has a post grad degree doesn't make him more attractive to the UM Admin. 

Do you think UM would get in a bidding war with TTU?  I'll bet they will throw boatloads of $$ at him to keep him.   I just don't see UM doing that.   This is going to be an interesting search/hire I think.  UM and the fans will want to swing for the fences while at the same time not wanting to become the job that 4 people turned down.   Seems like it will be a hard balance to achieve.  IF I had to wager I'd bet they try for Donovan/Beard and if unsuccessful they hire Yaklich.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Mike Hopkins from Washington... has turned Washington into a Pac 10 powerhouse.

This is like being the tallest midget.

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Sources: Michigan to meet with Juwan Howard on Tuesday

He has interviewed for a few NBA head coach jobs as well.  So he is well respected in the coaching world.  This isnt a former player getting a courtesy interview type deal.

Would be a high risk/high reward choice, and it's still not clear if the FAB 5 stuff isn't too much to overcome. Doesn't help that it looks like Juwan never finished his degree. Maybe a bigger issue might be the 55 ft yacht and 15 million house project in FLA - not the best look for a public college coach...xD

Interesting to see UM already going down the “desperate” path with the Howard interview.  I think his hiring would be a disaster on multiple fronts.  If I’m a MSU fan looking to re-establish unchallenged basketball dominance in the state, I’d be actively rooting for Howard’s hiring. 

24 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Interesting to see UM already going down the “desperate” path with the Howard interview.  I think his hiring would be a disaster on multiple fronts.  If I’m a MSU fan looking to re-establish unchallenged basketball dominance in the state, I’d be actively rooting for Howard’s hiring. 

I don't see it as the desperate path at all.  In the worst case the interview placates at least some of the fanbase that wants to re-establish the ties to the Fab5.  In the best case he's hired and recruits like Penny Hardaway. IF he does that the rest of the job including coaching becomes a LOT easier.    I do agree with G2 that hiring him would be a real boom/bust scenario.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Would be a high risk/high reward choice, and it's still not clear if the FAB 5 stuff isn't too much to overcome. Doesn't help that it looks like Juwan never finished his degree. Maybe a bigger issue might be the 55 ft yacht and 15 million house project in FLA - not the best look for a public college coach...xD

Are you dinging him on the boat because it looks flashy or it's too small/cheap?  A 55 foot boat in South Florida is the equivalent to an 18 foot bass boat in Michigan.  

Howard did graduate by the way, and he did it in his rookie season in the NBA.  He was pretty serious about getting his degree because he promised his grandmother he would get it.  

My biggest concern about Howard is his ability to recruit.  Yeah, Penny just landed the #1 recruiting class.  But that guy has been plugged into the AAU and sneaker scene for years.  I have no clue if Howard has these connections or not, maybe he does.  But being an NBA coach the past 5 years with zero college experience, I doubt he has been working on building that recruiting network up.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Are you dinging him on the boat because it looks flashy or it's too small/cheap?  A 55 foot boat in South Florida is the equivalent to an 18 foot bass boat in Michigan.  

Howard did graduate by the way, and he did it in his rookie season in the NBA.  He was pretty serious about getting his degree because he promised his grandmother he would get it.  

My biggest concern about Howard is his ability to recruit.  Yeah, Penny just landed the #1 recruiting class.  But that guy has been plugged into the AAU and sneaker scene for years.  I have no clue if Howard has these connections or not, maybe he does.  But being an NBA coach the past 5 years with zero college experience, I doubt he has been working on building that recruiting network up.

i'd be a little worried about recruiting too for the same reasons.  but he might have those connections and we just dont know about them.  

and if the 18 year olds of the world today dont remember the fab five in all their glory, their parents sure do.  that might play well in living rooms.

that said, michigan has specifically NOT gone after those types of one and done recruits that come with sneaker company connections and all the payments that go with them.  will they suddenly change back if howard comes along?  is he capable of taking 3 and 4 star kids and turning them into first round picks like beilein?

dont know.

otoh, i saw juwan howard at soho house here in chicago a couple years ago.  was the highlight of my week.  was too scared and polite to say hello.

Del thanks for the heads up on the degree - it wasn't in the bio I had. Again, people on the outside may not believe this, but that does matter in A^2. Of course it's not the only factor but it does count in the ledger.

The one and done is about to change anyway. Not sure anyone can predict how many kids are going to opt out of college hoops altogether in the new system. Or the worst case is it could just mean that the D-league salary will be the new floor for under the table payments by schools that are willing to do that. :dead: