Gehringer_2

UM B-Ball 18-19

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

John Belien to the be announced today as the Cavs next Head Coach.

****.  Good for Beilien -- **** for UM.  It was a good run while it lasted.

I guess it's not hard to understand wanting to try stepping up to the big show before his window to do it closed. I'm going to guess it's going to be a very tough search - odds are higher they end up with another Amaker than another Beilein. Or maybe I should say odds are we are going to live through a couple Amakers before they find another Beilein.

Chris Beard from Texas Tech would be my initial first choice as a replacement. If nothing else, he continues Michigan's stellar defensive play and even builds upon it.

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I guess it's not hard to understand wanting to try stepping up to the big show before his window to do it closed. I'm going to guess it's going to be a very tough search - odds are higher they end up with another Amaker than another Beilein. Or maybe I should say odds are we are going to live through a couple Amakers before they find another Beilein.

Agreed.  We're likely in for another 10 years of crapsketball if not longer from a statistical standpoint.

I guess we are a football school again...as long as we accept that we will get our asses handed to us by Ohio State every year.

29 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The article I read mentioned that Warde was almost expecting this and already had a short list of candidates for when this happened. Fortunately for Michigan, it’s a much better program than before. They should be able to hire someone pretty good. 

Didn’t see it coming.  You know, the NBA interest seemed real, but what’s the pay off for John?  

He is gonna spend the last 5 years of his career, or at least this period, getting dunked on by 34 in Milwaukee.  Cleveland doesn’t have a shot at being dangerous.  

19 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Didn’t see it coming.  You know, the NBA interest seemed real, but what’s the pay off for John?  

He is gonna spend the last 5 years of his career, or at least this period, getting dunked on by 34 in Milwaukee.  Cleveland doesn’t have a shot at being dangerous.  

The pay off is he gets paid and he doesn’t have to deal with all the NCAA bull****, and he steps into a new challenge. 

I don’t think he cares about get smoked by Milwaukee in the near future. 

20 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

If they got Zion Williamson they could be a real threat down the line. That's a big IF though because there's probably a frozen envelope somewhere with the Knicks logo on it at NBA HQ.

46 minutes ago, Shelton said:

The pay off is he gets paid and he doesn’t have to deal with all the NCAA bull****, and he steps into a new challenge. 

I don’t think he cares about get smoked by Milwaukee in the near future. 

Beilien was being paid millions by UM and is undoubtedly in a very desirable financial position for himself and immediate family.  The move to the NBA isn't about money -- it's about a new challenge.  I wish him well in Cleveland, as he has his work cut out for him.

good luck and god speed!  

the guy who restored michigan basketball after a decade in the wilderness is free to leave on his own terms.

sucks for michigan though.  not many coaches out there now.

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Beilien was being paid millions by UM and is undoubtedly in a very desirable financial position for himself and immediate family.  The move to the NBA isn't about money -- it's about a new challenge.  I wish him well in Cleveland, as he has his work cut out for him.

Sure, but he will still be making more money and it’s a factor. I agree that it is more about taking on the next challenge and taking a step up to the NBA. 

I have heard the name Pick Pitino mentioned.   I remember they talked about hiring him before Tommy Amaker but of course Rick was too good for Michigan.   They would have had to widen every entrance on campus to fit his large head.   

I know there is no chance they'd hire him, but if they did, I would no longer root for Michigan Basketball.   My hate for Rick Pitino is stronger than my love for Michigan.  

I saw Juwan Howard's name mentioned. Would the university want to bring back anyone associated with the Fab Five? Maybe the late Ed Martin has a son who can help with recruiting.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I saw Juwan Howard's name mentioned. Would the university want to bring back anyone associated with the Fab Five?

I see little logic in hiring a person into a self-described top 10 program who has no head coaching experience.  The idea behind this hire should be to try to keep the program at a level close to where Beilien left it -- Howard is too risky.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I saw Juwan Howard's name mentioned. Would the university want to bring back anyone associated with the Fab Five?

My guess is that they will be looking for someone from the NCAA who has proven credentials (and a clean record) as a recruiter.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Is there such an individual?

Ha!. There was at least one 12 yrs ago. They are about to find out if there is another!

I hope they at least attempt to swing for the fences. Michigan isn’t a blue blood program, but it’s still a substantial program. If North Carolina can hire Roy Williams away, and Kansas can poach bill self, then Michigan should be able to do something similar. None of the home run hires are even slightly plausible, but you never know. 

1) billy donovan

2) juwan howard

3) steve prohm

4) lavall jordan

5) internal hire

I have a feeling it's going to be Donovan which would be fine with me.   Supposedly people are hearing that he wants to get back in the college game and there probably isn't going to be a better opening than Michigan in the next couple years.  

36 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

If they don't get Beard or Donovan, what would be the reaction to Dane Fife?   

I think it would be underwhelming.  Fife working under Izzo for the past eight years would make it an awkward hire as well.