Gehringer_2

UM B-Ball 18-19

The years of Beilein teams gone by had 3 point shooters and not nearly enough inside scoring or rebounding presence. This team faces the opposite problem, in that it struggles to shoot outside and score in spurts. If this Michigan team had a Stauskas or even a poorman's Stauskas like Albrecht or Smotrycz who could light it up from deep they could be primed for not only winning yesterday, but making a tournament run. As it stands now, if they don't shoot better and find a half-court offense that doesn't get stuck in quicksand, they won't be making a return to the Final Four this year.

23 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The years of Beilein teams gone by had 3 point shooters and not nearly enough inside scoring or rebounding presence. This team faces the opposite problem, in that it struggles to shoot outside and score in spurts. If this Michigan team had a Stauskas or even a poorman's Stauskas like Albrecht or Smotrycz who could light it up from deep they could be primed for not only winning yesterday, but making a tournament run. As it stands now, if they don't shoot better and find a half-court offense that doesn't get stuck in quicksand, they won't be making a return to the Final Four this year.

if trey burke doesnt hit a miracle shot against kansas and poole doesnt hit a miracle shot against houston, they wouldnt have any final fours...

but i agree with your main point, the team needs more offense.  i was hoping dejulius or johns would be able to step up and give it to them, but they cant (or belein wont let them try).

as we saw with last year's michigan team, the tournament is as much about luck of the draw as anything.  if michigan gets another easy draw like last year they could go back to the final four.  but i have a real hard time seeing them beating the more talented and athletic teams unless brazdeikas and poole get hot again like they were earlier in the year.

Today's Michigan game shows they might be ready

Took a lot of punches and punched back on the road.

This one sucked.  Won't play any games in the tournament in East Lansing or Wisconsin thank God. 

Tom izzo is just better at working the refs. That was the diffrence in the game. He is always chirping and chirping. That leads to the calls we got in the last game. 

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

Tom izzo is just better at working the refs. That was the diffrence in the game. He is always chirping and chirping. That leads to the calls we got in the last game. 

If you can't beat 'em, work the refs until you can.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

BTT - 11 fouls on Michigan, 10 on MSU.  Yep, that was decisive.

And that's not allowing for the fact that at least 2 if those UM fouls were intentional in the waning seconds of the game.  Up to that point there had been more fouls called on MSU.   It's amazing that a fan of a team whistled for *1* foul in the 1st half is complaining about unfair officiating.

Yeah, that’s pretty odd. 

Anyway, MSU is just better this year. They definitely earned the more coveted tourney placement closer to home. 

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

BTT - 11 fouls on Michigan, 10 on MSU.  Yep, that was decisive.

And that's not allowing for the fact that at least 2 if those UM fouls were intentional in the waning seconds of the game.  Up to that point there had been more fouls called on MSU.   It's amazing that a fan of a team whistled for *1* foul in the 1st half is complaining about unfair officiating.

Cute taking pure stats and manipulating them. How about the fact that the State had two fouls to give in the end? So McQuaid can go and initiate contact and get 3 FTs, but Jordan Poole can’t get a foul call when Winston grabs him?? The McQuaid was at best a 1-1 in truth it was an offensive foul.  How about the run where they called Michigan for barely touching state over and over but refuse to call muggings the other way. How about the ball going off State in the end but they gave the ball to State? B-b-but fouls were even as far as numbers go.  Really that’s all you have? No disrespect intended. 

14 hours ago, Aaron said:

Cute taking pure stats and manipulating them. How about the fact that the State had two fouls to give in the end? So McQuaid can go and initiate contact and get 3 FTs, but Jordan Poole can’t get a foul call when Winston grabs him?? The McQuaid was at best a 1-1 in truth it was an offensive foul.  How about the run where they called Michigan for barely touching state over and over but refuse to call muggings the other way. How about the ball going off State in the end but they gave the ball to State? B-b-but fouls were even as far as numbers go.  Really that’s all you have? No disrespect intended. 

I notice in your unfair foul calling (mugging) argument you seem to have ignored the 1st half that I mentioned.  You know where UM supposedly played in a pretty physical game and committed 1 foul in 20 minutes?

Well answering your two questions:

And the replay of the ball at the end?   Again if you go find the video or pictures.  It goes off the white hand last.   The decision was Teske or Tillman - you decide which has the white hand?   Also they didn't give the ball to State - they called a jump ball and State had the possession arrow - I agree that was the wrong call.   Should have been State's ball.

If you look at the photos - Winston tried to give a foul.   Agreed.  The pictures show that by the time Poole shot the ball Winston had let go of him so it wasn't a shooting foul.  Here's the sequence in unaltered photos....;-)

9121970.png

9121969.png9121968.png

9121967.png

As you can see - by the time Poole goes into his shooting motion Winston isn't touching him.  So no shooting foul, but agreed the ref didn't whistle the foul to give which would have simply been a side out.

Michigan State is the better team, which on paper they are on a near annual basis with their plethora of 5 and 4 star players.  Beilein gets more out of lesser talent, and his ability to be competitive with Izzo is some of the finest coaching I've ever seen.

From a football comparison, Izzo is Harbaugh, and Beilein is Dantonio...although Izzo has been more successful than Harbaugh. 

ok foul before the shot. However, your first 2 photos show that Poole is being grabbed. So that is a 3 shots foul per rules. At the very least its Michigans basketball again. 

4 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Michigan State is the better team, which on paper they are on a near annual basis with their plethora of 5 and 4 star players.  Beilein gets more out of lesser talent, and his ability to be competitive with Izzo is some of the finest coaching I've ever seen.

From a football comparison, Izzo is Harbaugh, and Beilein is Dantonio...although Izzo has been more successful than Harbaugh. 

I think that's pretty spot on.    The rivalry has been fun since Beilein arrived.   Small streaks of wins both ways but good, competitive games.   The Simpson/Winston thing has been fun to watch too.

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

ok foul before the shot. However, your first 2 photos show that Poole is being grabbed. So that is a 3 shots foul per rules. At the very least its Michigans basketball again. 

Well.....how is it a shooting foul since he's dribbling and not shooting?  And I agree it should have been a common foul and side out UM with however many seconds were left.  3 or 4?   I've not checked that.

I've watched the game and the "in 60" replay twice, I'm shocked by how much the refs let go both ways in the 1st half.   It was a bruising, physical game and they barely blew their whistles.  

Look 50 percents of and one foul would not be shooting fouls based on that definition. How many times do you see a guy get fouled and throw up and shot 2-3 seconds later? So based on the rules and the game that was a shooting foul. 

18 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Look 50 percents of and one foul would not be shooting fouls based on that definition. How many times do you see a guy get fouled and throw up and shot 2-3 seconds later? So based on the rules and the game that was a shooting foul. 

I’ve never seen a shooting foul called on a shot that occurs 2-3 seconds after contact. 

Watch more basketball? I have seen people get fouled at the foul line 2-3 dribbles later he lays it up and it and it a 3 point play. McQuaid's three free throws was a foul and then he shot way after he was fouled and thats 3 free throws. By the rules that are called, that is a shooting foul. 

3 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Watch more basketball? I have seen people get fouled at the foul line 2-3 dribbles later he lays it up and it and it a 3 point play. McQuaid's three free throws was a foul and then he shot way after he was fouled and thats 3 free throws. By the rules that are called, that is a shooting foul. 

Maybe in the NBA. 

But that’s still irrelevant to the Poole play. He didn’t get fouled on his way to the basket and then followed it up by laying it in. He was moving laterally relative to the basket and was fouled before he started shooting. It should have been a foul on the floor. Even if he did the call, he needs to sink all three free throws, and then Michigan has to prevent MSU from scoring, just to force overtime. It sucks, but whatever  

You just gotta move on, pal. There are more important games on the schedule right now. 

One way or the other its a foul. Best case its Michigan's ball down by 3. One shot to tie to overtime. 

On 3/19/2019 at 3:23 PM, Aaron said:

One way or the other its a foul. Best case its Michigan's ball down by 3. One shot to tie to overtime. 

Agreed.  Should have been a side out with enough time for a shot.

Just saw that someone elsewhere posted a front view of the sequence, it show much more clearly that it was a foul - but before the shot.

9126788.png