Yoda

The Mandalorian

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

source.gif

Lookinig back I have to say - when all is said and done up through TLJ, Luke was a disappointing character. yeah - we know he is a putz and a failure and that is the point, but in classic tragedy the hero's end should eventually overcome to some greater purpose. Luke's confrontation with Ren at the end of TLJ was theatrical, but ultimately there was not enough on the line for it to be sufficiently meaningful. He does not defeat Ren, he does not even lay the ground work for Ren's eventually defeat in any way. His whole astrally projected force tour de force effort produces nothing more than a minor delay so a group of rag tag incompetents who probably aren't worth their salt can be rescued to screw up some subsequent battle like they screwed up the previous one. On the whole Rey would probably be better off without them.  Fine as visual theatre - disappointing as story. At least when Obi-Wan gave himself it was to save Luke and Leia, on whom - at that point-  the future did depend - not to mention all the life on the targeted planet.

Maybe the last one will save his character for me - seems doubtful.

10 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

LOL - I don't remember if it was in IV or VI, maybe it was both, but my recollection is that time keeps moving forward and backward on the "Target in range for the Deathstar" display. It was like they shot the original graphic with some number of display increments then in editing decided to cut back and forth twice as many times so the display keeps moving back and forth over the same positions. It struck me at the time as a pretty cheesy punt in what for the time was supposed to be high production value film-making. I have to believe they could have matted in some additional time increments pretty easily. 🙄

If I recall they just ran out of time and had to rush everything together. 

Watched the recent episode last night. Weathers' acting seemed canned this time. It will be interesting to see how they get out of this situation and I wonder if the butler robot and baby yoda will go into protective mode.

It was a good episode.  Glad that someone finally let BY do his thing.  I was hoping Giancarlos character was going to be someone who already had some back story through some of the books or something, but he is a brand new character.

14 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Lookinig back I have to say - when all is said and done up through TLJ, Luke was a disappointing character. yeah - we know he is a putz and a failure and that is the point, but in classic tragedy the hero's end should eventually overcome to some greater purpose. Luke's confrontation with Ren at the end of TLJ was theatrical, but ultimately there was not enough on the line for it to be sufficiently meaningful. He does not defeat Ren, he does not even lay the ground work for Ren's eventually defeat in any way. His whole astrally projected force tour de force effort produces nothing more than a minor delay so a group of rag tag incompetents who probably aren't worth their salt can be rescued to screw up some subsequent battle like they screwed up the previous one. On the whole Rey would probably be better off without them.  Fine as visual theatre - disappointing as story. At least when Obi-Wan gave himself it was to save Luke and Leia, on whom - at that point-  the future did depend - not to mention all the life on the targeted planet.

Maybe the last one will save his character for me - seems doubtful.

I mean you really can say the same thing about Obi Wans sacrifice as well, especially if you think Luke was a total failure.  Obi Wan risked himself for Leia then....Leia has plenty going for her, but Rey needed help from that rag tag group in the cave and I am assuming Rey is the new savior so....it all leads back to that.

I see your point though.  Luke was the strongest force user in the galaxy and he did not accomplish much after the original trilogy.  

It was a good episode.  Glad that someone finally let BY do his thing.  I was hoping Giancarlos character was going to be someone who already had some back story through some of the books or something, but he is a brand new character.

I don’t think enough people care about the books for a show/movie to include anyone from them. I think they are wary of using a character that has some predetermined baggage because it can paint them I to a corner regarding where the story is going. 

I mean you really can say the same thing about Obi Wans sacrifice as well, especially if you think Luke was a total failure.  Obi Wan risked himself for Leia then....Leia has plenty going for her, but Rey needed help from that rag tag group in the cave and I am assuming Rey is the new savior so....it all leads back to that.

I see your point though.  Luke was the strongest force user in the galaxy and he did not accomplish much after the original trilogy.  

Though at the time of Obi-Wan' we still think Luke is a bigger fulcrum than he turned out to be. Don't forget, when Ep IV came out, Dune was still very much in the mind of the fantasy/sci-fi community and Lucas borrowed very heavily from the Dune universe constructs (TBF he should have given Herbert a screenwriting credit!). In ep iV Luke is  portrayed pretty much as Herbert's KwisatchHaderach, right down to teaching him to practice with a weapon blindfolded. In fact the "Force" is really just Herbert's idea of a transcendent cosmic awareness translated into a more physical form for film. In the end of course, Luke turned out to be nothing like Paul Atriedes, but we didn't know it at the time.

39 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Though at the time of Obi-Wan' we still think Luke is a bigger fulcrum than he turned out to be. Don't forget, when Ep IV came out, Dune was still very much in the mind of the fantasy/sci-fi community and Lucas borrowed very heavily from the Dune universe constructs (TBF he should have given Herbert a screenwriting credit!). In ep iV Luke is  portrayed pretty much as Herbert's KwisatchHaderach, right down to teaching him to practice with a weapon blindfolded. In fact the "Force" is really just Herbert's idea of a transcendent cosmic awareness translated into a more physical form for film. In the end of course, Luke turned out to be nothing like Paul Atriedes, but we didn't know it at the time.

Cool

13 hours ago, Shelton said:

I don’t think enough people care about the books for a show/movie to include anyone from them. I think they are wary of using a character that has some predetermined baggage because it can paint them I to a corner regarding where the story is going. 

They did use Trawn in Rebels.

Another example of them saving money, instead of making a bunch more storm trooper costumes from that era, they brought in part of the 501st Legion, a group of cosplay fans with realistic ST costumes for that episode. Pretty cool really, and creative. Win/win. 

22 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I lost interest in Dune after the 2nd or 3rd book I think.  Not sure why, I loved the concept and I liked Pauls character, but something about it just turned me off it.

I am not sure if I would have ever compared the 2 until hearing this.  I guess it does not help that I never finished those stories and do not know the full arc of his character.

And as far as the Storm Trooper idea...I also thought that was extremely smart and those guys have a **** of a story to tell now...even if 90% of the time they just sit around waiting for the word action.  Still would be amazing.  When they were first casting walkers in TWD I really wanted to volunteer/apply, but it was not practical.

So back to Mandalorian... In their email announcing it would be an Wednesday they said to make sure to watch theough the credits.  I did that.  Nothing.  Did I miss something?

On 12/16/2019 at 10:53 AM, Yoda said:

I wonder if it will tie in with the movie in some way? They're not going to spoil anything major from the movie but there has to be a reason they're showing it beforehand, yeah? 

I think that's maybe why they released this episode before the movie... (TROS spoiler)

Spoiler

Have we seen a force-user "heal" someone before Baby Yoda did it? I don't think we have. I assume BY has had some sort of youngling jedi training in the past, perhaps when healing with the force was more common (prequels era?). I wonder if Palpatine himself cloned and trained him? 

On 12/20/2019 at 6:15 AM, John_Brian_K said:

I lost interest in Dune after the 2nd or 3rd book I think.

I didn't like any of sequels either but have reread the original a number of times.

On 12/21/2019 at 3:27 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

I didn't like any of sequels either but have reread the original a number of times.

The first book was good enough for me to want to continue (and because I was super late to the party there was PLENTY of love for the series so thought it would continue being great) The 2nd must have been good enough for me to go to 3, but I am pretty sure I stopped reading the thiiird before I finished it.

The finale was great. Really nice job tying up this season’s overall story. 

The Tatooine episode and the prison break episode still stand out as being mission of the week non-essential episodes. And aside from Cara Dune being introduced in the village episode, that one was also rather pointless to the overall plot. I still ended up liking those episodes, but I hope season 2 spreads those types out a bit more rather than having them be all in a row. 

Still, with the season concluded, this was a pretty satisfying story, and it leaves just enough hanging to make you look forward to season 2, without having a major cliffhanger that leaves you wanting more. 

I would have liked to get some payoff of what seems highly likely to have been Boba Fett at the end of the Tatooine episode. I suppose that’s a reveal we will get in season 2.

Finally, it was very cool to see the darksaber at the end. Looking forward to seeing that come into play later. 

Fine ending to the first season IMO.  

Spoiler

The storm troopers playing target practice and missing every time while waiting on the speeder bikes was fantastic IMO.  

Not a fan of the new trend of trying to make people feel bad when robots "die".  

There are memes flying around showing BY and Ben Solo where Ben says "You are a side story" and BY saying "I am Star Wars now"...it is funny and accurate IMO.  Realistically shot, gritty - not glittery with a messy story.

Looking forward to the new trilogy and the new Kenobi series.  The prequel to Rogue One sounds like a nice new spin on the universe also.

I think in the future Jedi are going to be used sparsely.  We were saturated with them in the prequels and only had hints of them in the main trilogy and the last 3.  They will once again drift off into myth as the Star Wars universe plugs along only to come back full force (pardon the pun) in another 30 years or so.  Hope I am around to see it when it happens.

Yeah, it was pretty good. I hope we get more episodes like this that are over 30 minutes. Or at least more episodes. That would make more sense to keep people subscribed. We'll see. 

I like them around 30 min with the occasional longer one thrown in.  But that’s because I get tired at night and that’s the only time we can really watch. 

I really liked the series.  Nice cameos too.  They have been fun but not overwhelming.   It’s nice to see a talented filmmaker who’s also a geek be able to thread that needle.  He gets it. 

have to wait almost a year. 

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

I like them around 30 min with the occasional longer one thrown in.  But that’s because I get tired at night and that’s the only time we can really watch. 

I really liked the series.  Nice cameos too.  They have been fun but not overwhelming.   It’s nice to see a talented filmmaker who’s also a geek be able to thread that needle.  He gets it. 

have to wait almost a year. 

I'm not sure. I think they started filming around the time the first episode premiered, so we may get a summer release. But who knows. Fans are obviously pretty crazy for it so I wouldn't doubt if they try to push it up a bit, and hopefully extend it to more episodes if they're only doing 30 minutes. 

Just watched the eighth and final episode of this first season. There’s closure as well as the promise of things to come. 

I like how this narrative is related to but not completely parasitic in relation to all the previous iterations of Star Wars. It seems to have its own center of gravity. That’s a welcome change. 

Baby Yoda is incredible, as is the Mandalorian and the hot armored warrior princess. And we’ve got Gus again! 

I look forward to the second season with enthusiasm.