Yoda

The Mandalorian

I really can't stand Bryce. I like her better out of view. Ron is constantly pimping her on twitter and it seems like she's only famous because her da's connections. But that may be unfair. Maybe she really is talented and I just don't see it. I hope she does well as a director though. 

21 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I wonder how the bounties work.  The bounty hunter came for baby yoda because he had a tracker of some kind.  If Mando knows the guild and how they work why would he ever think they would be safe if they can just add new bounties?  I am assuming the trackers (or whatever they really are - something that uses dna or something) may not work at long range, but a good tracker has to at least find the right system before it works or something....then it can hone in on the bounty.

I think that was just a way to answer/avoid the whole "why would a skilled Mandalorian travel the galaxy with a baby" question. 

I think you're right that you probably have to at least be close. 

4 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I really can't stand Bryce. I like her better out of view. Ron is constantly pimping her on twitter and it seems like she's only famous because her da's connections. But that may be unfair. Maybe she really is talented and I just don't see it. I hope she does well as a director though. 

I think anything in excess like that (pimping her on twitter etc) is tiring and can make someone dislike a person.

I think she is a talented actress.  The jury is out on her directing IMO.  While this was a good episode just like the rest, it was probably my least favorite so far.

2 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I think that was just a way to answer/avoid the whole "why would a skilled Mandalorian travel the galaxy with a baby" question. 

I think you're right that you probably have to at least be close. 

Yeah I am just thinking this through as I am typing it.  Guessing you get the bounty which when in the same system will trigger.  A good bounty hunter has to find his way to that system in the least before it triggers and starts helping out.  It MAY even have to be on the same planet which would make tracking close to impossible which explains why just about every bounty hunter is a super bad ***...they have to be.

I'm trying to remember (which is always a bad idea given my memory) but how did Mando know what planet Baby Yoda was on?  Was he told by the people hiring him?

I agree that in order to make the story interesting that the tracker can't have unlimited range.  If the range was unlimited then being a Bounty Hunter wouldn't be hard... I mean I suppose you still need to deal with apprehending the bounty and possibly fighting at the end, but that's grunt work more than skill or intelligence.

And on the flip side if any can know where Mando is with the BY at any time it's just a matter of each episode essentially being: Go here, do this, run away before getting caught.  It sorta becomes the A-Team in space then.

(From a "real science" stand point it wouldn't make sense for an unlimited range tracker either, but then neither would a tacker that could home in on DNA in a single system or even a single planet so we're well into SciFi science here, which is fine... it's a scifi show so I don't have any issue with that.)

On 11/30/2019 at 9:08 AM, Hongbit said:

He can take the helmet off but he can’t show his face to anyone.  
I think this is why he didn’t eat at the cantina and waited to where he could this helmet off.    No shoving food under the mask. 

This is my understanding as well.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

I'm trying to remember (which is always a bad idea given my memory) but how did Mando know what planet Baby Yoda was on?  Was he told by the people hiring him?

They have tracking beacons.   

SPOILER ALERT

Spoiler

In ep 4, they have to leave the little farm in the middle of nowhere they helped defend b/c another bounty hunter had tracked Baby Yoda using the same tracking beacons.  The 4th episode ends with them leaving the farm because Baby Yoda wasn't safe since he'd been tracked there. They hired a crapload of bounty hunters to get Baby Yoda and Mando was the best b/c he found him first.   At one point I think Weathers told him he was the best of the bunch b/c they had hired so many bounty hunters.   I think Mando asked him how many they had hired b/c Mando was carrying Baby Yoda around with him, aka getting tracked everywhere

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

I guess the wording of it was just weird. "Once I take it off, I can never put it back on". 

When she asked when was the last time he took it off, he said "yesterday".

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

I agree that in order to make the story interesting that the tracker can't have unlimited range.  If the range was unlimited then being a Bounty Hunter wouldn't be hard... I mean I suppose you still need to deal with apprehending the bounty and possibly fighting at the end, but that's grunt work more than skill or intelligence.

And on the flip side if any can know where Mando is with the BY at any time it's just a matter of each episode essentially being: Go here, do this, run away before getting caught.  It sorta becomes the A-Team in space then.

(From a "real science" stand point it wouldn't make sense for an unlimited range tracker either, but then neither would a tacker that could home in on DNA in a single system or even a single planet so we're well into SciFi science here, which is fine... it's a scifi show so I don't have any issue with that.)

He was given a tracker, not a puck.  IIRC.  I think the puck is just something to maybe show local authorities/the bounty etc, but the tracker has the real info on it.  Pretty sure they did not tell him the planet.

Yeah you would have no need for bounty hunters travelling systems because there would be one on the planet that could reach the target quicker.  Unless you have to go to the guild directly.  Which is how they have been showing "Mando" (wonder if we ever get his real name?) getting bounties.  He has to physically go somewhere to get them.

I think it may be like that...which is ok with me.  I mean they are telling a story here, gotta keep it interesting...not very interesting if he just goes somewhere and gets old with BY.

1 minute ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Referencing when he went to bed or took a shower I am sure.  I think it is more "when can someone actually see your face?" as opposed to "when can you take the helmet off?"

She asked the question with the intent of trying to see his face...he answered it literally.

8 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I know. That's what brought up the discussion. 

I don't have the vast knowledge you all do so this is not a rhetorical question.... but what's the difference between Sabine in Rebels, who I assumed was a Mandalorian, and this guy, and I assume Boba Fett?

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I don't have the vast knowledge you all do so this is not a rhetorical question.... but what's the difference between Sabine in Rebels, who I assumed was a Mandalorian, and this guy, and I assume Boba Fett?

Sabine is a mandalorian. Boba and Jango Fett, I believe, were not mandalorian but appropriated their ways. I think there was a clone wars episode that revealed or explained that. 

it appears that Mando was not born a mandalorian but was adopted and raised as one. 

It appears that in this timeframe the mandalorians are low in numbers and in hiding. They refer to the purge, which likely occurred during the time of the original trilogy, because in Rebels the mandalorians are still in force, and we see that the recovered beskar has the imperial logo on it. 

Sabine obviously takes her helmet off and that’s not a problem. I suspect the current practice is something new post-purge, or something they brought back from older times. 

Thanks

When Mandalorian is finished I plan on watching Clone Wars now that we have Disney +  

Spoiler

The call backs to locations and characters is all fine in my book.  Just seeing a character walking around in that universe is really cool.  I need to watch it again though because I was watching on my cracked phone screen at lunch.

I am kind of hoping they get rid of baby yoda soon though.  There is not a bigger picture to this series...not one that has been revealed at least.  Is it really just baby yoda?  Protecting him etc?

The show is called the Mandalorian, but I am kind of hoping for another character to emerge a little to add a different perspective to the show.  Hard to do with 30 minute episodes, but I am not seeing the end game for the series.  End game may not be the right term....point is not really right either, but I am hoping for more than Kindergarten Cop in space.  

Star Wars does no wrong IMO.

I think what you are getting at is progression.  I liked the episode too.  But so far it seems like we’re just getting stand alone “adventures of mando and baby yoda” but the story isn’t moving forward.  If the series is going to be on for 3-4 seasons that’s fine.  There’s room. 

I just watched and came here to post exactly that. There's no forward momentum. Rebels did that a lot as well. I do think the show will get stale pretty quickly if they don't create some sort of overall story. 

Baby Yoda isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I would imagine he'll be around the entire series. With all they did to not spoil his existence in the series (not creating any baby yoda merch) tells me they plan to keep him an integral part of the show. 

I liked the kid in this episode. For a minute I felt like the two could make a pretty good team past this episode. That didn't work out. 

Guessing the guy we saw at the end is Gus Fring's character? 

I like what the baby brings to the story.   Mando is in this giant dilemma because he can’t bring himself to abandon the baby based on his own childhood.   He’s a man on the run that can be easily found as long as he’s stuck with the baby.  Not a great place to be in.    He also can’t just find a nice home for the little green guy and leave him there since the tracker means hunters will try and kill him and anyone that protects him.   He’s going to have to figure out how manage all of this with both the Guild and The Empire looking for him.    Seems exciting to me. 

I guess in a way we did get some progression in that we now Mando is also a marked man. 

Progression works.  Like I said Star Wars does no wrong and I really love how this series is shot.  I am just hoping for an overall story line...something to tie it all together.  Of course they know this, they know what works so I am assuming we get some new reveals in the next couple episodes to introduce the next seasons.

On 12/7/2019 at 3:33 PM, Biff Mayhem said:

Why not locate the device allowing baby yoda to be tracked and remove it?

I don’t believe there is an embedded device or anything like that. I think in the earlier episodes they referred a “chain code” or something which I took to mean something like DNA. I think we are meant to assume that the fobs are tuned to a particular person’s DNA type thing.