cruzer1

2019 NFL Draft Thread

4 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Their board will reflect positional value TO THE LIONS. 

Aah...

So the Lions will DEFINITELY have TE at a lower positional value than pass-rusher so there's no chance of drafting any TE at #8...

I understand you perfectly now...

1 minute ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Aah...

So the Lions will DEFINITELY have TE at a lower positional value than pass-rusher so there's no chance of drafting any TE at #8...

I understand you perfectly now...

I wouldn't say definitely, free agency, trades may happen. Both are positions of need. I wasn't thinking Hockenson would grade that high, but he checks a lot of boxes and I wouldn't underestimate the value of a TE.

QB, LT, and pass-rusher are the 3 top positional values in the NFL.

Everything else is a cut below, or more.

A TE can wait for later rounds.

They definitely need a playmaker or two on offense, somebody that can actually get open, if that's a TE so be it.  Last year the Lions didn't have a single receiver in the top 90 in separation.   For all Stafford's faults it's hard to be a good QB when none of your receivers can create separation.  

I agree. But Pass-Rusher is still the premium position, and TE/ WR can be selected in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I'm not using a 1st on a TE... unless there is no other option or lesser-talented options. And Gary & Sweat are superior options... so, I say "no way"...

46 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

QB, LT, and pass-rusher are the 3 top positional values in the NFL.

Everything else is a cut below, or more.

A TE can wait for later rounds.

Depends on the relative individual grades. The grade would just have to exceed the positional weighting.

The latest CBS Sports mock draft has the Detroit Lions trading up and taking . . .

1075796124.jpg.0.jpg

I hate trading up and wouldn't do it, but if Haskins fell to the Lions at #8 and we took him and had a long-term plan to ditch Stafford I'd be thrilled!

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The latest CBS Sports mock draft has the Detroit Lions trading up and taking . . .

1075796124.jpg.0.jpg

I hate trading up and wouldn't do it, but if Haskins fell to the Lions at #8 and we took him and had a long-term plan to ditch Stafford I'd be thrilled!

Why would we do that when we have Connor Cook? 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why would we do that when we have Connor Cook? 

Cook is the mid-season starter after Stafford get jetted out of the starting job haha. I'm guessing you are against taking Haskins if he falls to us at #8 and in favor of continuing to pay the stat sheet superstar $29 mil for another couple of seasons?

I would not be against drafting a Stafford replacement but to me I just don't think this years class is the one to do it in.  Murray intrigues me and he def has Superstar potential but he will likely be gone way before us so it doesn't matter. 

I'd rather roll the dice with Stafford one more year.  If he repeats his performance of last year we are likely going to be picking early again anyway and next year should be a much stronger QB class.  

I'm not clamoring for us to draft a Stafford replacement by any means, but if one of Murray or Haskins miraculously fell to us at #8 I think I would pull the trigger and draft one of them, even though Montez Sweat  would be my primary target. I wish Stafford much success and hope he turns it around and makes us a playoff team next year, but I of course have my reservations and wouldn't be opposed to having a replacement waiting in the wings.

30 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm not clamoring for us to draft a Stafford replacement by any means, but if one of Murray or Haskins miraculously fell to us at #8 I think I would pull the trigger and draft one of them, even though Montez Sweat  would be my primary target. I wish Stafford much success and hope he turns it around and makes us a playoff team next year, but I of course have my reservations and wouldn't be opposed to having a replacement waiting in the wings.

I think in that case you have hit the jackpot with the value of your pick and you can actually pull off the rare “trade down” that everyone always wants to do. 

• Like 1

Every draft has a QB or two that is going to be a star. Most end up like Connor Cook. I hope Stafford gets traded to a good team instead of being blamed for trying to carrying a team with no running game or defense year in and year out.